Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 AM

31 posts, read 89,911 times

Advertisements

As part of our decision making process, we have to consider that I am more than half way through an MBA program where we currently reside. I know there are many universities/colleges in the DC area so I have many options to chose from. I am currently pursuing a MBA with an international business concentration. By the time we move - if we move I will only have three courses left, two of which I could take on-line. The last class I want to take is an international tax class - and I can most likely take it off campus at a different university and still graduate. This class is generally only offered at universities that offer a Masters in Taxation.

If we move we will probably live between Herndon and Washington DC (Vienna or Falls Church area) and possibly work in Tysons Corner area.

I know some major universities have satellite campuses which would be convenient for me, however it does not appear these campuses offer the class I would need (George Mason UNiversity for example). I know American University offers such a program, but I have no idea where that is in relation to the area I may live/work in. It looks like Strayer University is an on-line program, which wouldn't work for me. I would like to get as much out of this class as possible - and I don't think that would happen on-line.

I will need to take the class at night as I work during the day.

Any insight into programs I should look into would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,075,116 times
American would be a great place for that class but they are on the red line (metro) and physically close to the border of Maryland and DC.

I would think that taking the class at Georgia Washginton University would be much easier and closer for you. GW is in DC but it is on the orange line which goes though Venna and Falls Church. If I were you I'd check to see if the class is offered at GW.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks, it doesn't appear that GWU offers a MST program. When I checked their curriculum, the class is not offered. Suprisingly Georgetown doesn't have a MST program either. It can be so hard trying to figure things out on-line in an area one isn't familiar with.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,932,957 times
When I was practicing tax law at a firm in DC, a number of my colleagues taught various tax courses, including some courses in international taxation, as adjuncts at George Washington University. Check out this page from the website -- there is definitely an international tax course listed, even though GW does not currently offer a LLM in Taxation (though I could have sworn they did at one time). The George Washington University Law School - International and Comparative Law (http://www.law.gwu.edu/Academics/Master+of+Laws+Degree/LL.M.+in+International+and+Comparative+Law.htm - broken link)

Old 11-19-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks! I didn't even think to look at what was offered through a law school. I wonder how that would work (would they allow me to be a guest student). Hmm - something to definitely look into if the time comes!

Thanks!!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:08 AM

352 posts, read 1,593,757 times
I am currently wrapping up my MBA at George Mason University...it's a good program, they don't do online though, only in-person, which was a major selling point for me but is not for everyone. I do know that GMU will allow you to complete your degree elsewhere as a visiting student taking a GMU course or two - I have someone in my current class that is doing just that, from Minnesota. My impression is that most programs will let you do that - they want the tuition money!

I know that GMU has an International Finance course - MBA 717 - which does have a section on international taxes, but I'm not sure if they have a course specifically on international taxation. Why don't you give the MBA advisor at GMU, Nicole Ciccone, a call and find out? Her number is 703-993-2216 - it's available online at Current MBA Students (broken link) so I don't feel icky about publishing that number.

The main course listing for the GMU MBA program is at Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Course Descriptions - University Catalog 2007-08: George Mason University, though it's incomplete - I've taken at least one course that is not listed there. Worth a call!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the information!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia