Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 AM

727 posts, read 1,534,148 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place to get my oil changed, preferably near my home in Springfield/Burke, or near my work in Alexandria/Ft. Belvoir. I do not like Jiffy Lube since they are a bunch of scam artists; I actually watched an attendant throw dirt into my anti-freeze so he could claim that I needed a flush (I knew it was fine because I replaced the radiator three months earlier). I use synthetic, so I am looking for a reasonable price. Normally I'd do it myself, but I park in the street where I live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 AM

111 posts, read 315,276 times
I had this issue with parking on the street where I lived. I took it to an empty parking lot, drove the car up on rhino ramps and changed the oil myself in 30 mins. Auto Stores now have containers that you can drain your oil into and take it to a gas station to let them dump it. I have a house and this is what I do now. Ramps are cheap compared to getting a place to change your oil with synthetic.

save your money and do it yourself in 30 mins. Heck, doing it in the corner of a Safeway parking lot is fine also.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 AM

526 posts, read 901,381 times
We usually get our oil changed at the Cardinal Plaza Shell. It's the least we can do to support their holiday display!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:03 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
We usually get our oil changed at the Cardinal Plaza Shell. It's the least we can do to support their holiday display!
They've always been nice to us too. Don't go to the one across the street though--they were rude, snippy, and charged a gazillion dollars more than anywhere I've been just to change a headlight out.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,766,083 times
I vote for doing it yourself. I do mine in big department store or metro parking lots. Never been bothered.

I was forced to go someplace a few times to have it done, but after seeing questionable oil be used and very cheap filters, I do it myself. AND I had someone cross thread my drain plug once Ugh.

New car? Take a cell phone pic of you receipt for the oil and filter next to the odometer. And you will have a proven record of maintenance.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Some of us can't do it ourselves, so keep the suggestions coming.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:52 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
If you can't DIY, take it to a trusted garage...the kind of place you would take your car for serious repair work.

This will cost more than the quick-lube joints but there are thousands of dollars at stake. There are several things that, if done improperly, can result in a destroyed engine. Why risk it?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
We totally trust the Duke & Pickett St. Shell (West End Alex.) - have taken our vehicles there for many, many yrs.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,766,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Some of us can't do it ourselves, so keep the suggestions coming.
Then pony up and take it to a real garage then.

Quick lube places hire guys at a buck or two above min. wage. I worked a few while in high school and college. Add in commission for selling you services you do not need, and you get the average quick lube place (Jiffy Lube etc).

And, as you can imagine, these places have high turnover rates, so if there are good guys working there that care about your car (which there ARE plenty), they probably won't be there long because they'll be off to college or a real garage to make a decent wage.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Not sure if you have one near you or not but I've been using the one in Manassas for a few years now. I also hate Jiffy Lube. I am a capable male and used to always change my oil but decided a few years ago I was tired of doing this. The employees at Valvoline, in Manassas anyway, have always been quick and efficient. They will advise when your model needs its scheduled maintenance but have never tried to pressure me into anything. I don't hesitate to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia