Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times

Advertisements

Hey all, new to the forums. Seemed like a great place to ask questions so I'll give it a go.

Basically I'm graduating in May with a Masters in Accounting and will hopefully be CPA certified by the summer. I have a job paying 55K starting out with benefits, generous time off, and all that. I'm a 22 year old single male. I guess basically what I'm asking is, is arlington right for me? I have job in North Alexandria (toward Reagan) but a lot of my clients will either be out of town or in the district. I just hear that Arlington is a great place for young 20-somethings to live in. I also know it's cheaper to live there since Virginia income taxes are cheaper than NW DC which was the alternative (I believe). Based on the income, any recommendations for apartments? I know I'll feel at home knowing that NOVA is VT territory.

Oh and more specific question..how much do you think car insurance will run since it's such an urban area. I'm basically just trying to assess the total basic cost of living just to see how far 55K will get me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Arlington is perfect for you. The Ballston-Clarendon corridor (aka the "Orange Line" for the Metro train that runs through there) is the 20something mecca in Northern Virginia. Plenty of restaurants, bars and clubs for you to peruse on your offtime. It will also be convenient enough to your job and DC.

If you have to drive to your job and most clients, look for apartments a few blocks away from the main drags of Wilson and Clarendon Blvds. This will save you money over those who value the convenience of being right next to the Metro and other amenities.

I'll leave the car insurance question to others more knowledgeable.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Hey all, new to the forums. Seemed like a great place to ask questions so I'll give it a go.

Basically I'm graduating in May with a Masters in Accounting and will hopefully be CPA certified by the summer. I have a job paying 55K starting out with benefits, generous time off, and all that. I'm a 22 year old single male. I guess basically what I'm asking is, is arlington right for me? I have job in North Alexandria (toward Reagan) but a lot of my clients will either be out of town or in the district. I just hear that Arlington is a great place for young 20-somethings to live in. I also know it's cheaper to live there since Virginia income taxes are cheaper than NW DC which was the alternative (I believe). Based on the income, any recommendations for apartments? I know I'll feel at home knowing that NOVA is VT territory.

Oh and more specific question..how much do you think car insurance will run since it's such an urban area. I'm basically just trying to assess the total basic cost of living just to see how far 55K will get me.
The simple answer is yes Arlington is cool! There are a few different sections of Arlington though that you might need to know about.
1. Clarendon: This neighborhood is the spot for nightlife & entertainment in Arlington. It doesn't have as much to offer as DC, but it is a fun place to go for young single adults.
2. Shirlington: This neighborhood in S. Arlington is also pretty cool. Shirlington is somewhat an isolated fun/hip area amongst generic surrounding neighborhood(s) You can probably find an apartment cheaper here than anywhere along the Ballston-Clarendon-Rosslyn corridor.
3. Crystal city/Pentagon city: this is south arlington close to Reagan airport. Crystal city has "restaurant row" on 23rd st which is nice, but small. The main part of Crystal city is office buildings, so you would have a downtown/business atmosphere there. Pentagon city has a mall and a few highrise apartment complexes, and also a few bars & restaurants. Either of these areas are nice, and you would have easy access by car or metro to Arlington, Old Town Alexandria, and DC.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Shirlington is a great suggestion! Especially if the OP has to drive to clients. Crystal City is utilitarian but many people do live there for the convenience. Too bad there aren't more after-hours diversions.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 PM

323 posts, read 508,704 times
Quote:

Arlington is a great area to live, especially if you're a 20-something. The social scene can't be beat in Virginia. As for being cheaper than NW DC, it's probably not as clear cut as it may appear - yes, VA has a lower income tax, but the personal property tax is high (paid on your vehicle every year), and Arlington is higher than most other VA jurisdictions in that regard. Rent is as expensive as NW DC I'd guess.

At your income level, you'll probably want to find a roommate to share a 2 bedroom apartment with or a few roommates to share a house. Prices are cheaper closer to Columbia Pike than in the Rosslyn - Ballston corridor. Shirlington is a nice area and may also be cheaper than R-B.

Car insurance is mostly dependent on the model/year of your car and driving record.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Shirlington is a great suggestion! Especially if the OP has to drive to clients. Crystal City is utilitarian but many people do live there for the convenience. Too bad there aren't more after-hours diversions.
yes, Crystal city is weird The underground shopping center is dumb because it somewhat isolates everyone esle. There's many times where I will pull into a place (shop, restaurant, etc.) when I see their sign. Having a place hidden underground takes away that sector of customers.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:

Your car insurance depends on the usual factors (model, your driving record, etc.) but from what I hear DC has much higher rates than VA.

Out of the suggested neighborhoods, Shirlington is the one I like. I work in Ballston and like it but Shirlington is cheaper and is one of the most underrated neighborhoods in NoVA.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:04 PM

313 posts, read 551,423 times
OP,

depending on how much debt you have...(school loans, car payment, etc) and what conveniences you like to have (Internet, TV, going out) will limit your options in the Arlington area. If you're diligent with your money you'll be fine, but 55k is no picnic around Clarendon and Ballston, especially after taxes. Don't get me wrong you'll be able to have fun, but not as much as one would think with a salary like that.

things like...
going out for lunch
eating out for dinner
gas(especially if you're not gonna be driving around alot to different client sites---lots of stop and go traffic)
bar tabs

will really start to add up. Saving money will also be kind of hard because the cost of rent is pretty outrageous for a 1br especially in the areas along and around the Orange Line. Sorry if this sounds like a parent, but I'm living your exact life right now in Reston and I'd like to think I keep a pretty good handle on my finances. Consider getting a roommate if you want to have a little more money in your pocket and its a great way to meet new people too.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
OP,

depending on how much debt you have...(school loans, car payment, etc) and what conveniences you like to have (Internet, TV, going out) will limit your options in the Arlington area. If you're diligent with your money you'll be fine, but 55k is no picnic around Clarendon and Ballston, especially after taxes. Don't get me wrong you'll be able to have fun, but not as much as one would think with a salary like that.

things like...
going out for lunch
eating out for dinner
gas(especially if you're not gonna be driving around alot to different client sites---lots of stop and go traffic)
bar tabs

will really start to add up. Saving money will also be kind of hard because the cost of rent is pretty outrageous for a 1br especially in the areas along and around the Orange Line. Sorry if this sounds like a parent, but I'm living your exact life right now in Reston and I'd like to think I keep a pretty good handle on my finances. Consider getting a roommate if you want to have a little more money in your pocket and its a great way to meet new people too.
badger knows what he is talking about

Old 02-26-2010, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 19,483 times
For the love of your sanity please move to Arlington and don't look back. I'm 23, an auditor (pursuing my MBA), and moved to Reston because I earn substantially less than you and couldn't afford the overinflated rent prices inside the Beltway. I've been very depressed here ever since because everyone in Reston has such a hopelessly "suburbanized" mindset. Yes, we have a fake downtown called Reston Town Center, replete with chain restaurants and over-priced chain stores like Pottery Barn and Williams-Sonoma, but you'll soon learn that Arlington is where the 20-somethings live and mingle. Reston is for the 30-somethings who tire of the constant nightlife scene in Arlington and want something a bit quieter and less urbane as they couple up and look to settle for a few years before heading to Ashburn or Gainesville to buy a home and raise a family. I know from experience that many on here will recommend Reston for young professionals just out of college, but I can safely say that of all of my early-20-something peers who have moved here all of us want out as soon as possible. There's just nothing here, and I resent, in a sense, that I was advised otherwise when I came here. The NIMBY locals are even trying to block construction of a direly-needed Metrorail line to Reston because they fear that Reston might become "as good as" Arlington. (I wonder if they'll feel the same way when they laugh all the way to the bank when they see how high the new train will have boosted their housing values?)

If I were earning your salary I would have moved myself to Shirlington, or, perhaps even the City of Falls Church in a heartbeat. I firmly believe the immediate Ballston-Rosslyn (Orange Line) corridor might be cutting it close, even on your salary, unless you had a roommate, but that is an area to keep in mind for a couple of years as you earn some annual wage increases. The only ones our age who move to a place like Reston or Herndon are those who work here and have tried to minimize their commuting hassles (raises hand) or those who were priced out of better areas (raises hand). Why a 22-year-old should be encouraged to move to a place OUTSIDE the Beltway for any other reason than affordability or to ease commuting hassles is beyond me.

Best of luck, and welcome in advance to Arlington!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: