Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetaltoMetal View Post
Here are some links to articles about Fairfax County and Herdon and their sanctuary city status. I could explain more about the policies but right now, I am pretty weary of a new set of attacks and defenses. Also about doing more research that has to be current and accurate. Sanctuary Cities: Fairfax County, Va. | Latino America | ASU News21 Herndon could become a sanctuary city again -- FairfaxTimes.com It doesn't really matter, but this is just fiction that I never said. "But the notion that people sit around in their native countries and discuss the comparative safety nets in different local U.S. jurisdictions for the aimless and the unemployed, in order to game the system, doesn't ring true to me." The truth is, word gets out about services and lack of immigration enforcement, usually by word of mouth. The availability of welfare programs does matter, whether coming internationally or domestically. Also, this makes no sense in the context of estimates. "P.S. - In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty. It's really a pretty good guiding principle." You don't arrest and convict the deer when you try to estimate how many there are, and I could only wish that you could arrest and convict what the Pew Research Center says are the 50 percent of Hispanic immigrants who are here illegally. A court of law is quite different from the fields of estimates and debate.
Well, maybe when you've recharged your batteries, you could take a stab at answering the question that's now kindly been put to you several times - recognizing that it's easy enough for anyone to toss out terms like "sanctuary county," what exactly would you have Fairfax do or not do in lieu of what it's currently doing? The only specific things that I feel like you're suggesting are (1) not supporting or subsidizing the construction of "affordable" studio or efficiency apartments for fear they would end up inhabited by illegal immigrants and (2) not educating children who are in the country illegally or who are the children of illegal immigrants, which the Federal Government has repeatedly said is a violation of federal law.

I might agree with you about some of the specific proposals if I actually knew what they were, but if all you want to do is cry fire and link to the same agit-prop web site on sanctuary cities and counties over and over again, I think we're probably done.

Last edited by JD984; 10-29-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,183,861 times
Duplicate post. Delete please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia