Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 11,881 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

Thanks for taking time to read this.
I am moving to NOVA and this is also my first time in US. My work place would be Reston & Herndon both & I plan to maintain a car.
I am looking for an apartment under $1500, preferably 2BR or 1BR+Den in/around an Indian neighbourhood & preferably close/waking distance to market/daily needs kinda stores.

Need some suggestions on below.

1. Do I necessarily need to hire a realtor for the apartment search.
2. If the answer to above is NO, what is the methodology to look for apartments. Just search on zillow, craiglist etc, short-list apartments and go to the leasing office to ask for the apartment shown online OR OR any other suggestions.
3. Are apartments available without a SSN also ?, as it would take 2-3 weeks for my SSN and I want to rent ASAP.
4. Any other tips to look for while renting an apartment, any pointers for a move in inspection ?
5. I would love to live nearby Indian community & market areas, any suggestions on areas to look for or any specific apartments to look for ?
6. I have a 18 months old kid so would need some pre kindergarten/play school for her as well. Any suggestions/names of those in Herndon and around. I would again try to look for such a facility as close as possible to my apartment.

Any other suggestion that would help my move are always welcome.
Thanks again for reading this and replying

Abhi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 02:28 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,461,058 times
I can't help with most of your questions. However, by law, Realtors must take care not to "steer" people toward or away from properties or communities based on race and ethnicity.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I can't help with most of your questions. However, by law, Realtors must take care not to "steer" people toward or away from properties or communities based on race and ethnicity.
Thanks ACWhite.
Could you comment on my Question on how to rent an apartment without a realtor.

Thanks again

Old 05-09-2015, 12:56 AM

22,488 posts, read 12,039,050 times
If you see an apartment community that you like, go to their rental office to see if they have any vacancies.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:42 AM

529 posts, read 751,719 times
Herndon has lot of Indians (20171 zip code), especially around clock tower area.

You don't need to have a realtor.

You can try the following web site for apartment search, this will help you to find out various apartments, amenities, rent etc.

Apartments for Rent - Your Trusted Apartment Finder Tool at ApartmentGuide.com

You may want to check the apartment you are moving into thoroughly, fill up the move-in inspection form and hand it over to your apartment leasing office.

I don't have answers for remaining questions.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 AM

274 posts, read 349,029 times
To rent an apartment you can do so without a Realtor, especially because a lot are not listed in the MLS. If you want a to rent a condo or townhouse that is listed with a Realtor you will either have to contact the listing agent on each one to see them, or you can get a Realtor to represent you. In the rental application you do provide your social security number and drivers license, because a credit and criminal background check are typically done. I am not a 100% sure as to how that would be handled without those pieces of information, sorry. I would call around to a few apartment complexs you are interested in and ask what their procedure is for someone without a SSN. Good luck on your move!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 898,587 times
Hello,
Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Do I necessarily need to hire a realtor for the apartment search? NO

2. If the answer to above is NO, what is the methodology to look for apartments. Just search on zillow, craiglist etc, short-list apartments and go to the leasing office to ask for the apartment shown online OR OR any other suggestions?

This depends on where you want to live. I would move to Loudon county (or Reston) if I were you. You could try to contact the ARAPAN Dance Academy, just say you are coming to this area and need some pointers for the best place to settle for an Indian person. Their phone number is listed on this URL: Contact Us - ARPAN Dance Academy

3. Are apartments available without a SSN also ?
Not sure, but i suspect rentals from private individuals would not be so picky.

as it would take 2-3 weeks for my SSN and I want to rent ASAP. You can always tell them that you will apply ASAP.

4. Any other tips to look for while renting an apartment, any pointers for a move in inspection ?

5. I would love to live nearby Indian community & market areas, any suggestions on areas to look for or any specific apartments to look for ?

Indian Immigrants Embrace Suburban Life In Loudoun County | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio

6. I have a 18 months old kid so would need some pre kindergarten/play school for her as well. Any suggestions/names of those in Herndon and around. I would again try to look for such a facility as close as possible to my apartment.

Some places have these, as do some workplaces and churches.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:54 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,251,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
Herndon has lot of Indians (20171 zip code), especially around clock tower area.
I concur look in 20171 near the clock tower
https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...,-77.40084,14z

Be sure to check out Angeethi for dinner.
Angeethi VA – Indian Cuisine Restaurant | Dining and Catering Services

I have an Indian friend at work who calls Ashburn - Little Mumbai. You may want to consider Ashburn.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post

You don't need to have a realtor.

You can try the following web site for apartment search, this will help you to find out various apartments, amenities, rent etc.

Apartments for Rent - Your Trusted Apartment Finder Tool at ApartmentGuide.com

You may want to check the apartment you are moving into thoroughly, fill up the move-in inspection form and hand it over to your apartment leasing office.

I don't have answers for remaining questions.
Thanks Mate.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I concur look in 20171 near the clock tower
https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...,-77.40084,14z

Be sure to check out Angeethi for dinner.
Angeethi VA – Indian Cuisine Restaurant | Dining and Catering Services

I have an Indian friend at work who calls Ashburn - Little Mumbai. You may want to consider Ashburn.
Thanks J.

Would it be possible for you to share email ID of that Indian friend of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: