Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:49 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,928 times

Advertisements

If you really want to live in Virginia, do the Hagerstown and live in Winchester.

Purcellville to Greenbelt would be atrocious on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:34 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
Leesburg to Greenbelt would be terrible. You have to live in Murrland for that to work, at all.

If it were even Silver Spring + near the Metro, I'd say Leesburg-Silver Spring is doable if you take MARC in from Point of Rocks and can accept a 90 minute commute on commuter rail. But not Greenbelt. No way, no how. I'd only do that if the alternative were not eating.

I'd pick the Hagerstown job and if you must live in VA and take a longer commute (make sure commuting won't eat up your tax savings), live in Winchester. If you want a better generic commute, then live in Frederick or Leesburg.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:03 PM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
I was thinking of this thread this morning while sitting in Gridlock on the Beltway. It took 70 minutes to get from Ashburn to the American Legion (Cabin John) Bridge into Maryland, and another 20 to Rockville. Greenbelt would have taken far longer this morning.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,226,080 times
Ultimately, you want to be able to enjoy the quality time that you and your SO have together. You won't be able to do that during the week with him enduring an average commute of at least two hours a day.

If the salary offers are equal, then I say consider:

1)Living in Hagerstown itself if cost of living is the highest concern, or;

2)Living in or close to Greenbelt if access to urban amenities is most important.

Leesburg is a great town but that commute will get old for both of you. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I felt it needed to be said.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 PM

279 posts, read 591,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Going up 15 to 70 to 32 to 95 is a lot longer, and takes longer. I just can't see how anyone would want that commute twice a day, day after day. That said, Leesburg is a nice town!
Not sure where 32 or 95 come in? From Leesburg, 15 to 70 would take him to Hagerstown.

Both jobs are fairly comparable with Hagerstown having some more perks for us personally. VA is a preference over MD for many reasons- first being tuition costs for myself to go to back to college (George Mason-in state tuition is nearly 20K less than out-of-state). Second, we have two kids and prefer VA public schools over MD.

Leesburg itself appeals also because of it's historic charm, something that I've longed for since we left New England. It's a quality of life thing, for sure.

His commute from Greenbelt to Germantown yesterday took him an hour. I looked up direction for such a commute again today during rush hour and it says 59 minutes. I've done this a few times, an Google always seems to be on point with times. I guess it was wishful thinking assuming the timeline from Greenbelt was right. :/

I understand what may be a long commute to some is not for others. He's fine with the average one hour-ish commute, and understands sometimes delays happen and some days will be longer. Commuting to Boston wasn't always fun. He just doesn't want to be pulling 90 minute- two hour commutes.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
Commuting to Boston wasn't always fun. He just doesn't want to be pulling 90 minute- two hour commutes.
Then he shouldn't try and commute from Leesburg to Greenbelt. Seriously.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Thanks for all the input! I'm sure I'll be back if neither of these jobs work out!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 PM

Is it the bridge from VA to MD (I assume that's "7"?) that makes commuting from one state to the other so bad? It seems like there are plenty of people living in NOVA and commuting to the MD/DC area for work... their commutes are under an hour?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,226,080 times
Quote:
Not sure where 32 or 95 come in? From Leesburg, 15 to 70 would take him to Hagerstown.

Both jobs are fairly comparable with Hagerstown having some more perks for us personally. VA is a preference over MD for many reasons- first being tuition costs for myself to go to back to college (George Mason-in state tuition is nearly 20K less than out-of-state). Second, we have two kids and prefer VA public schools over MD.

Leesburg itself appeals also because of it's historic charm, something that I've longed for since we left New England. It's a quality of life thing, for sure.

His commute from Greenbelt to Germantown yesterday took him an hour. I looked up direction for such a commute again today during rush hour and it says 59 minutes. I've done this a few times, an Google always seems to be on point with times. I guess it was wishful thinking assuming the timeline from Greenbelt was right. :/

I understand what may be a long commute to some is not for others. He's fine with the average one hour-ish commute, and understands sometimes delays happen and some days will be longer. Commuting to Boston wasn't always fun. He just doesn't want to be pulling 90 minute- two hour commutes.
Fair enough. Thank you for sharing more details with us.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:28 PM

979 posts, read 1,781,289 times
Quote:
Is it the bridge from VA to MD (I assume that's "7"?) that makes commuting from one state to the other so bad? It seems like there are plenty of people living in NOVA and commuting to the MD/DC area for work... their commutes are under an hour?
If their commutes are under an hour, then they live closer in, not out in Leesburg. And they're not commuting to the opposite side of the Beltway (Greenbelt), but rather just up to Rockville or something.

7 is not the bridge. Rt 7 is what runs east/west from Loudoun county down through Tysons (well, it extends beyond Tysons, but for the purposes of this discussion, one would take it to Tysons to hop on the Beltway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia