Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 05:15 PM

989 posts, read 2,854,907 times

Advertisements

Most people I know who work in Chantilly don't take the toll road. They take Waxpool to Route 28. I guess opit depends where in Ashburn you choose to live. The farther south (Brambleton), the longer it will take for you to get to Waxpool.

There are very few bad Loudoun County schools. I'm personally not a fan of Cedar Lane Elementary in Ashburn- that principal has since moved to Discovery Elementary so (again, personal opinion) I wouldn't want my kids there either. For elementary schools in Ashburn, Mill Run in the Broadlands is by far my favorite. Ashburn is getting a new middle school next year and Brambleton and Lansdowne are getting new High Schools the following year so there are a lot of changes coming. That being said, the boundaries are already set for this schools so you'd be relatively safe from rezoning for maybe a couple of yours.

I know nothing of the schools in Aldie.

I know Ashburn properties haven't lost value and rents seem to be on the rise. I would think the values would continue to increase, especially when the metro comes. Don't know anything about Aldie though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 06:10 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
No need to use the Greenway at all. Waxpool isn't that bad, IMO. It's got lots of traffic, but it usually moves fine.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:09 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,652 times
Go with Ashburn. Your commute without using the Greenway won't be significantly longer than if you live in Aldie if at all. You'll be closer to just about everything. Plus you'd have the Greenway to take for those morning were 10 more minutes of sleep is needed.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sorry to contradict, but it IS opposite. Last time I checked, morning rush on 28 is Northbound, and evening Southbound.
You'll confuse the OP!
Before you make such definitive statements, you should check the context here.

28 is a big road and since it doesn't run "into / out of" DC, it has different traffic patterns than you might expect. In the afternoons, it is rush hour on the southbound lanes between 50 and I-66. However, at the same time, it is also rush hour on the northbound lanes between the Toll Road and Waxpool/Church.

Since the OP was inquiring about Ashburn, it's this latter situation that is of interest here.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Before you make such definitive statements, you should check the context here.

28 is a big road and since it doesn't run "into / out of" DC, it has different traffic patterns than you might expect. In the afternoons, it is rush hour on the southbound lanes between 50 and I-66. However, at the same time, it is also rush hour on the northbound lanes between the Toll Road and Waxpool/Church.

Since the OP was inquiring about Ashburn, it's this latter situation that is of interest here.

I re-read the OP, and vrag does indeed work in Chantilly, not Ashburn.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 AM

367 posts, read 884,491 times
410 is not going to get a SFH in either areas. Your looking at leesburg older SFH in the Foxridge community. GL

Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I re-read the OP, and vrag does indeed work in Chantilly, not Ashburn.
Yes, he works in Chantilly. But if he LIVED in Ashburn, he'd hit the traffic snowdenscold mentioned in the afternoon as he makes his way back to Ashburn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
410 is not going to get a SFH in either areas. Your looking at leesburg older SFH in the Foxridge community. GL
The OP states, in the very first line of the very first post, that he is buying a townhouse.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,514,815 times
To be fair, OP stated a wish to afford a SFH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
I'd take Leesburg for a generic commute over Aldie. Evergreen to 50 isn't a bad commute at all; it takes me 45-56 minutes and I work in Fair Lakes. To get just to 28/50 would shave 10-15 minutes off that.

Most jobs in this area are either in DC/Alexandria/Arlington, along I-270, or along 267. Leesburg is a doable commute to Tysons along 267 and to Rockville along 270. There's commuter buses and eventually will be Metro in Ashburn.

The only downside would be that the SFH is older, dating from the 1960s to the 1980s. Many such homes are walkable to downtown Leesburg. Others, like those in Country Club Hills, are more secluded (and many buyers do prefer that).

On the other hand, OP seems to want a newer home, and if he is willing to be in a TH to get that newer home, then so be it. Newer homes might be had in Purcellville for his price range.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 PM

64 posts, read 100,796 times
Looking back, I would have bought in Aldie instead of South Riding. I also drive to the Chantilly area. Right now rt. 50 is a nightmare because of the road construction, but later this year, there should be 3 lanes instead of just 2.

I would check out the new towns they are building around Braddock, close to the new high school there (John Champe). It's a bit further than Kirkpatrick Farms area. They are also building new towns in new subdivisions around that area. However, across the street on the opposite side of 50, they are ALSO buildings new towns, but that area is technically 'Ashburn' It honestly depends what you want to be near.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTwoShoes View Post
Looking back, I would have bought in Aldie instead of South Riding. I also drive to the Chantilly area. Right now rt. 50 is a nightmare because of the road construction, but later this year, there should be 3 lanes instead of just 2.
Yes, it will be three lanes instead of two, but hundreds of new houses are being built in the Aldie area, which will just increase traffic. I don't expect 50 to get any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia