Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
There was a small service road next to the main road, so pulling out would not be a problem. The record shows it sold in 5/11 for $150k less. Could it really have appreciated that much in 2.5 years?
It's possible--especially if it's been updated since then. Or if the seller back then was desperate and/or didn't price it at what they could've gotten. OTOH, depending on recent comps, I suppose it's possible that it might be overpriced. Hard to say without looking at those comps (which you can do easily on Redfin, Frankly MLS, etc.). But just looking at the interior photos and knowing that area, it couldn't be overpriced by much. I think an as-is, fixer-upper 3BR house in that area, with '70s everything, would go for 750K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM

107 posts, read 154,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
It's possible--especially if it's been updated since then. Or if the seller back then was desperate and/or didn't price it at what they could've gotten. OTOH, depending on recent comps, I suppose it's possible that it might be overpriced. Hard to say without looking at those comps (which you can do easily on Redfin, Frankly MLS, etc.). But just looking at the interior photos and knowing that area, it couldn't be overpriced by much. I think an as-is, fixer-upper 3BR house in that area, with '70s everything, would go for 750K.
I appreciate your opinion!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 AM

Sadly the house on 23rd had a terrible yard. It was small, and just a slope down to the house. I couldn't do anything with that. The slope in the direction of the house seemed like it would also be a problem with flooding.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
I had not seen the one on 15th because I had been looking at minimum 800k. Thanks for pointing it out.
Seriously, never set a "minimum" price when house hunting. There could be some house in a FANTASTIC location that is below your minimum, because it's small, or outdated or something. You could use all of the extra money you've saved to make it the house of your dream.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Seriously, never set a "minimum" price when house hunting. There could be some house in a FANTASTIC location that is below your minimum, because it's small, or outdated or something. You could use all of the extra money you've saved to make it the house of your dream.

Thanks--I'm seeing that was an error on my part.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,470,013 times
Montacute, any more luck?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Montacute, any more luck?
Thank you for checking in AC. No, I haven't seen anything else I halfway like. Just back from looking at one in Old Town--not good at all. I'm trying to hang on and hope more comes on the market soon. I'm still thinking about the one on ODD and it hasn't gone yet.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,470,013 times
My guess is that once the weather warms up a bit, you will have more choices, if you don't decide to bid on ODD.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
My guess is that once the weather warms up a bit, you will have more choices, if you don't decide to bid on ODD.
Thanks! I've got my fingers crossed. I'll update here about what I'm seeing. The traffic on ODD has been keeping me from making an offer. I'm going to gamble and wait.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
I agree the spring will have more inventory and options for you. As to the house on ODD, I do think that without kids or plans to have any, buying in one of the very top school districts means paying a premium for something that's of no value to you (except in resale). The other thing to keep in mind is that in a top-rated school district, you and your husband will be vastly outnumbered by the families with kids. I can tell you firsthand that this can get a little awkward and annoying. We've thought about moving to a DINK paradise like Old Town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia