Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:33 PM

107 posts, read 155,052 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I think I am looking for advice/support in my attempts to find a house to buy. My budget is a million, 1.2 million at a stretch. I would like to live in a walkable part of Alexandria or Arlington. I rent in Old Town now and love it, except for the size of the townhouse and lack of anything green in the yard (there's just a small patio). I have been looking for a month and am seeing such a bunch of garbage in what I thought would be a very good price range. Schools don't matter, as my husband and I don't have kids. I didn't think my wants would be so hard to find. 3 bedrooms would be ideal. I'd like a largish, open kitchen that opens to some kind of family room. I'd like a master bathroom with 2 sinks. I'd like a yard that with appropriate planting by me could afford some degree of privacy. I'd prefer a detached house, probably at least 2000 sq. ft. That's it, but I can't find it. So, I would welcome thoughts on where I am going wrong with my wishlist. Where am I going wrong? Is this market just too unfavorable to buyers to find what I want in my budget? I'd appreciate thoughts very much.

Last edited by Montacute; 01-27-2014 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,234,936 times
The walkable areas of Arlington and (especially) Alexandria tend to have much older homes. These homes are much smaller than the modern monstrosities. You are looking at the most close-in areas, and want a large house with modern amenities and the neighborhood be walkable. I'm sorry to say, and I know it sounds ridiculous, but your budget isn't large enough.

You need to compromise on size or amenities.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:47 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,974,473 times
That's a large house for areas with traditionally older housing stock...you're either going to have to be okay with some creative upgrades (attic/basement master suites, rooms with sloping ceilings) or accept that most new builds close in are either townhomes or out of your budget.

You and I must have a different definition of "garbage" though. I just plunked your standards into my favorite realtor site, and immediately found a half dozen beautiful SFH's in the city of Alexandria for under a million that I would love to live in.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The walkable areas of Arlington and (especially) Alexandria tend to have much older homes. These homes are much smaller than the modern monstrosities. You are looking at the most close-in areas, and want a large house with modern amenities and the neighborhood be walkable. I'm sorry to say, and I know it sounds ridiculous, but your budget isn't large enough.

You need to compromise on size or amenities.
I don't really want a large house--just a large kitchen and master bathroom. No more than 3 bedrooms. I would not be opposed to renovating if knocking down walls was a possibility. I intensely hate a galley kitchen. I appreciate your thoughts though--How much smaller than 2000 sq ft would be reasonable?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
That's a large house for areas with traditionally older housing stock...you're either going to have to be okay with some creative upgrades (attic/basement master suites, rooms with sloping ceilings) or accept that most new builds close in are either townhomes or out of your budget.

You and I must have a different definition of "garbage" though. I just plunked your standards into my favorite realtor site, and immediately found a half dozen beautiful SFH's in the city of Alexandria for under a million that I would love to live in.
Thanks CaliTerp. Are you looking at ...? Please tell me which ones you are looking at.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-28-2014 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Sorry, only generic MLS sites such as realtor.com can be referenced here.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:58 PM

What's wrong with 610 Queen St (if you replaced some of the patio with grass) or 2503 Terrett Ave?

Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM

6,591 posts, read 8,479,072 times
Ooo...I like the one on Terrett. I'd change out the floor in the kitchen but other than that, it's gorgeous!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM

I toured Queen and it was really cramped. Galley kitchen. There were many rooms, but small, so lots of wasted space. I couldn't think what I would do with some of those teeny rooms.

I might tour Terrett. I haven't yet because the yard looks awful to me. It's mostly garage. I was scheduled to tour a different one on Terrett today, but it went pending so could not.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM

Yeah, small rooms is a hallmark of older houses. Alexandria/Arlington = older houses.

If you want newer construction, you have to go further out or do the townhouse thing.

For the price of the Terrett house and your budget, you could tear down the garage if it's not valuable to you and have a really good sized lot for Alexandria.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Do people renovate the older houses much to have fewer but bigger rooms? I would rather do that than be further out but am a total novice about renovations. Is it an awful idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia