Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid you've got the answer to your problem. Complainer has been a tenant for 10 years; you are moving soon. Landlord's going to keep 10 year tenant happier, especially if rent is paid on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM

529 posts, read 751,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I'm afraid you've got the answer to your problem. Complainer has been a tenant for 10 years; you are moving soon. Landlord's going to keep 10 year tenant happier, especially if rent is paid on time.
Does it not violate fair housing policies?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 PM

Not quite sure what you mean about fair housing policies. I just think the landlord's going to "back burner" the issue until you move. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but if the complainer has been there 10 years, the landlord's probably seen a lot of people come and go from your unit.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
First, check-out the noise yourself. As the neighbor if you can listen while the child runs around upstairs ... and find-out for yourself just how noisy and disruptive the sound is. Some folks are just super-sensitive when it comes to noise; even when normal living noises from upstairs renters is to be expected in an apartment.

If it's as bad as he thinks, offer to install carpet runners and to work with them in anyway possible to reduce the noise. You both know that controlling (or 'arresting') the toddler isn't going to work ... besides, he likes the noise. (My two small grandsons frequently visit our condo and love to stomp up/down the hallway. While nobody has said anything yet, I'm inclined to check with the folks downstairs on my own, just to see how much noise they are hearing).

Your best bet in the long run is going to be to work with the neighbor to achieve an amenable solution. If there is a floor problem, it sounds like the apartment complex/owner has some responsibility here --- perhaps there is a solution that will help mitigate the problem. Deal with this openly and now; lawsuits, anger and ignoring the issue is only going to make matters worse.

Perhaps the owner/landlord could get you into another upstairs unit that doesn't have the floor problems and where the downstairs tenants work during the day.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:21 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
OP has protected rights, and if she is not in violation of her lease it doesn't matter how long neighbor has been a tenant.

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/Homeles...t_Handbook.pdf

OP, this is on page 5 of the document I linked.

Legal Services of Northern Virginia (703) 540-9141 Fairfax City and Fairfax County

Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,766,458 times
Ha, I'm the first to complain about noise from upstairs neighbors, but if its just your toddler, than the guy downstairs either needs to move to the top floor or somewhere else. Toddlers are toddlers.

The only other consideration I'd make is maybe if your floor is all hardwood. I would buy some cheap carpet from home depot or lowes for the next year or so (.20/sqft) and cover any hardwood.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM

I'm NOT defending the landlord or the complainer. I'm just saying the Landlord is probably not going to do much to antagonize the long-term renter knowing that the OP is moving in late spring or summer.

About the only thing OP can do is extra carpet and be sure the child doesn't have shoes on to minimize the noise.

The other, probably more difficult, thing to do would be invite complainer for dinner. Maybe the complainer is just chronically alone, lonely and cranky. Perhaps you can charm him (her?) with a little kindness. God willing, the child is in a wonderful mood and neighbor begins to understand how much energy child has.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
it's an apartment complex, not a condo. He doesn't own it, we both have equal rights.
In some ways, you have more hand so to speak. A renter who initially rented his apt from 2004 dollars (and with a much smaller yearly rent increase) is paying a heckuvalot less than you are, a new tenant paying top dollar. I'd remind the admin of that after I called FFX County renters division. [url=http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer/tenant/]Tenant-Landlord*- Fairfax County, Virginia[/url]

In our position, we cannot afford to buy here (everything is over 250k), don't really wish to plant roots here anyway and we are permenant renters. I've had many runins with peoples dogs chasing my kids across the parking lot, abandoned/nonresident cars taking up spaces for literally months at a time. Parties/garbage everywhere.

I'm almost 50 and handicapped -people are shocked that I am a permanent renter- esp. since me/kids look white. I guess FFX renters are supposed to be 25 yo Korean Hill interns?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:56 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,140,549 times
Are you deal with the buildings owner or a property manager? If you're dealing with a property manager it sounds like they are just trying to grease the squeaky wheel. Again you allow fair use of your dwelling. For instance if you worked out three time a day your neighbor would just have to put up with the noise. You do have an obligation to reduce the noise during night time hours but that is all.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,852 times
Just curious -- does your apartment have hardwood floors? And you do not have carpet? If so, get padding and carpet and try that before you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia