Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 AM

55 posts, read 73,572 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher relocating to VA from FL and want to know which area would be most in need of a HS teacher with credentials as follows:

Certifications - English 5-9; English 6-12, Reading K-12, ESOL K-12
Experience - 10 yrs in classroom
Training - Differentiated instruction, Alternate assessments, Common Core (overload

I noticed a job fair for Stafford schools on March 1. I'd like to secure a position so I can start the moving process w/o rushing or the stress of not having a job. Also, if I get to the area by June, would it be possible to work summer school? I think that is the perfect way to acclimate to both the area and the school. Any info is much appreciated......include housing tips too, as I have a large dog and a college-bound daughter who will only be home during breaks and summers.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 08:32 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
To answer your initial question, Fredericksburg at the southern end of Stafford County might be considered where the Northern Virginia/DC and Richmond metros start to merge but overall it still identifies with the former. The educators here can respond better to your other questions.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Hi Ranae319,

I'm a little confused. Just to clarify, why is it important to know if Stafford is closer to Richmond or Fairfax? Are you definitely relocating to a particular area? Do you have a spouse working in Fairfax or Richmond?

If you know you will be in the Stafford area, you may also want to check out nearby counties such as Prince William and Spotsylvania.

ESOL training should be one of your largest "pluses". VA hasn't adopted the Common Core, so I don't know if that will stand out or not. I'm with Fairfax County Schools and I don't know much about CC.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
Stafford is much closer to Fairfax than Richmond. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:32 PM

34 posts, read 43,765 times
Fairfax is closer than Richmond, but it would still be a very long commute. Are you able to live closer in to Stafford? I think that the best location would be Fredericksburg, a tiny college city with a small Old Town area. There are lots of options for living in Stafford, too. It's pretty diverse; closer to I-95, there are lots of apartments and townhouses. Five miles from the Interstate, and you're surround by farms and meadows.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Stafford is much closer to Fairfax than Richmond. Hope everything works out for you.
agreed.

I'd take a stfford to richmond commute any day vs to ffx.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 AM

707 posts, read 1,408,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
agreed.

I'd take a stfford to richmond commute any day vs to ffx.
It will also be a lot less stressful going against traffic and such.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 PM

55 posts, read 73,572 times
Thanks all for the information. I'll be flying in for the March 1st job fair in Stafford. I think I will find housing in Stafford and leave the commuting to those who are used to it.....being from small town Florida, I'm not accustomed to long commutes or hectic traffic for that matter.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranae319 View Post
Thanks all for the information. I'll be flying in for the March 1st job fair in Stafford. I think I will find housing in Stafford and leave the commuting to those who are used to it.....being from small town Florida, I'm not accustomed to long commutes or hectic traffic for that matter.
Good idea! By regional standards, Stafford County is more affordable. You'll also have a much shorter commute than the stream of people typically heading further north.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
It's my understanding that Ranae319 has not secured a job yet, so somehow I'm missing the purpose of the commute discussion. I say, get the job first and then figure out where you are going to live.

Ranae319, if this is accurate, are you only applying to Stafford County Schools or are you willing to interview with other districts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia