Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 PM

54 posts, read 167,525 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knew how the job market is for teachers in these two counties right now? My husband and I are looking to move to Northern VA this summer so I am already looking for a full-time job for the 2009/2010 school year.

I started applying to these two counties and registered for a job fair in Stafford County for March. I am NYS certified in Childhood Ed. 1-6 and Special Ed. 1-6, I have my Masters degree, and I am in my second year of teaching first grade. Any thoughts or inside advice?

Last edited by Figaro2008; 01-20-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 04:50 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,685,905 times
I believe that Fairfax has instituted a hiring freeze. Not sure about Stafford. I think Prince William is close to one if it hasn't happened already. All the counties are operating on huge budget shortfalls due to the economic crisis and are looking for ways to stop spending.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:00 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,195,944 times
My ladyfriend who teaches in Fairfax County says that they hire 500 Special Education teachers every year. So even with budget cuts, chances are that there will be plenty of opportunity there. Outside of Special Ed., she feels that opportunities on the Elementary level may be limited.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 PM

73 posts, read 248,751 times
Pr. Wm. has an "unofficial" hiring freeze going on. They are still hiring "essential" personnel but the superintendent has the final say on whether a position is essential. It will be a very tough next school year and I would not be surprised if they lay-off teachers (even though they all say that will be the very last option). There is lots of rumours going around on what the school board/superintendent will do for next school year and none of it good! We shall see as the budget will be disclosed in February. The positive is that you are a Sped teacher, can you get certified to teach middle and high school? That would definitely increase your chances of finding a job. Stafford and Fairfax are not next to each other -- where do you plan to live?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
Pr. Wm. has an "unofficial" hiring freeze going on. They are still hiring "essential" personnel but the superintendent has the final say on whether a position is essential. It will be a very tough next school year and I would not be surprised if they lay-off teachers (even though they all say that will be the very last option). There is lots of rumours going around on what the school board/superintendent will do for next school year and none of it good! We shall see as the budget will be disclosed in February. The positive is that you are a Sped teacher, can you get certified to teach middle and high school? That would definitely increase your chances of finding a job. Stafford and Fairfax are not next to each other -- where do you plan to live?

I prefer Stafford due to the cost of living would be cheaper than Fairfax. I did my student teaching in middle and h.s. - I was originally a business ed. teacher and I didn't like it so that's not an option for me. I haven't read good things about Prince William so I wasn't even bothering. My friend was hired with no experience by Stafford County so I was hoping with only 2 years I stood a chance there.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,195,944 times
You definitely do not want to live in Stafford County if you secure a job in Fairfax. The commute up I-95 will be brutal unless you arrive at school with the maintenance staff. Going home will not be a picnic either.

If you secure a job in Fairfax County schools then, depending on your expected household income and preferred housing budget, you may want to consider living in Fairfax County or as close to it as possible to minimize commuting headaches.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
You definitely do not want to live in Stafford County if you secure a job in Fairfax. The commute up I-95 will be brutal unless you arrive at school with the maintenance staff. Going home will not be a picnic either.

If you secure a job in Fairfax County schools then, depending on your expected household income and preferred housing budget, you may want to consider living in Fairfax County or as close to it as possible to minimize commuting headaches.
I would definitely live in the county of the job, I just have to find the job first. I prefer finding a job in Stafford though, but figured I would look at Fairfax for options.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,689,146 times
Fairfax County Public Schools-Human Resources

Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 PM

73 posts, read 248,751 times
Yup, the commute on 95 is brutal during rush hours (although you would be going against the grain if you lived in Fairfax and worked in Stafford).

My advice is to apply everywhere! With the budget troubles looming, who knows what jobs will be available in the fall. You can always turn down the job offer

Have you looked at Loudon County?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
Yup, the commute on 95 is brutal during rush hours (although you would be going against the grain if you lived in Fairfax and worked in Stafford).

My advice is to apply everywhere! With the budget troubles looming, who knows what jobs will be available in the fall. You can always turn down the job offer

Have you looked at Loudon County?

I didn't even think about Loudon County. Is that a nice area to work/live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: