Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,352,618 times

Advertisements

Sign up for the Fairfax job fair in February.They still have to hire teachers to replace all those who retire, move, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:59 AM

73 posts, read 248,901 times
Unfortunately, that is not the case. They do not have to replace all teachers just some if they increase class sizes and do some major juggling. Most of the budget (over 95%) is for salary and benefits and once everything else is cut to the bone -- what is left -- teachers/support staff/admin. Also some teachers who had planned to retire have postponed it due to the economy and what happened to their retirement savings.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 AM

True, but I believe there is still a projected increase of 5000 students. No, FCPS won't be hiring 800 or 1000 new teachers, but in a district this size there will be turnover and 100's will have to be hired.

They won't cut everything else to the bone. There is still a lot of room to cut fat, but unfortunately the classroom will be affected directly before they do that.

Apply anywhere and everywhere.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 AM

8,987 posts, read 21,209,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro2008 View Post
I didn't even think about Loudon County. Is that a nice area to work/live in?
The short answer is yes. A lot of family-friendly communities have sprouted up there in recent years. It's more expensive than Prince William and Stafford but less than Fairfax. I would predict that their teaching opportunities in Loudon trail FCPS only slightly.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 18,582 times
Loudoun county and Fairfax county have the history of being 2 of the wealthiest/fastest counties in the country. Budgets are tight everywhere due to the economy so this would have an impact for sure. It is a very nice area to work and live in. I would also reccommend to live where you work. You can find great deals in real estate in these areas as well.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM

54 posts, read 167,583 times
I got an invitation to two job fairs - one in Fairfax County and one in Stafford County, two weeks apart from each other. I got hired at my current job by my principal and never been to job fairs for teachers. I was given a 30-minute interview time in which I will meet with an administrator as part of a screening process.

I'm very nervous about spending almost $200 (that I really don't have) for each trip down to VA from NY for the chance that I might not even get offered a job; therefore losing $400.

Has anyone gone to teacher job fairs, especially in VA? Do they let you know right away what your chances are?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 20,185 times
I went to the Loudoun job fair in October and they were very upfront about not offering open contracts/letters of intent at the fair. I enjoyed my interview and was sent for 'further processing'--fingerprinting and a bit more paperwork. I haven't heard anything since. I am going to the Fairfax one in Feb. and it says on their website that they will in fact be offering letters of intent but I'm sure it will be in their critical needs areas. I'm an early childhood person and doubt I'll get one but I still plan to go.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randers1 View Post
I went to the Loudoun job fair in October and they were very upfront about not offering open contracts/letters of intent at the fair. I enjoyed my interview and was sent for 'further processing'--fingerprinting and a bit more paperwork. I haven't heard anything since. I am going to the Fairfax one in Feb. and it says on their website that they will in fact be offering letters of intent but I'm sure it will be in their critical needs areas. I'm an early childhood person and doubt I'll get one but I still plan to go.
There is a preschool position (full time) listed now at Island Creek ES, so you never know.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:21 PM

54 posts, read 167,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randers1 View Post

I am pretty sure they're only offering contracts now for critical needs. I'm sure you'll get a job though. I read they hired over 1200 new teachers last year. Of course many worry/argue that new hires will be low b/c a lot of teachers are holding off on retirement. I just really need to know ASAP if I have a job for next year b/c I am moving from NY.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM

73 posts, read 248,901 times
There are no guarantees even if you received a job offer! We had a teacher who was offered a job at another school and the offer was rescinded when they realized they had no $$$ for her position. She taught in a "critical" need area too!

If you are moving, then you need to apply everywhere and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: