Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM

12 posts, read 21,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICtoNOVA View Post
Hello All,

I recently accepted a job offer ($36K/year) in DC near Metro Center and I'm seeking out decent places to live. I'm a single female and I'd really prefer not to find an unknown roommate off of Craigslist or live in someone's basement that I don't know and would be more interested in living at least within driving distance to the metro in NOVA as I'm most familiar with the area. I do have family that lives in NOVA and PG, but they live too far out in Dumfries and in Upper Marlboro, and I'd rather get my own place somewhere that wouldn't have me stuck in traffic angry every single day, although I have thought about the Lake Ridge area. I don't mind studios or older apartment complexes as long as they're in semi-safe areas and have been looking primarily in Alexandria, but any suggestions from people that actually live in the area would help. I've been working and living at home with my parents in Richmond since graduation in 2010, so I've been able to save up a little bit of money and the only true debt I have is student loan payments.

I'd like my rent to at least be less than $1200/month plus utilities.

Thanks in advance!

Obviously, and going along with the other posts, youll need a roommate.

I've just moved back but the last time I lived here I was staying in Lorton. I was making about $42K then, I got by fairly well. I paid about $850/mo with two other guys in a group house. I actually enjoyed it more than when I moved to Tysons. Lorton is pretty close to the Franconia-Springfield metro and with that you have relative access to the social scene.

If Lorton is too far you can try Annandale or Falls Church. Ive seen people looking for roommates in decent areas going for 500/mo with partial utilities. Im moving back soon and am going to look at those places.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,438 times
Thanks to all for your advice! I work in the news media field and coming from #57 (Market) Richmond to #8 Washington, D.C. would be a HUGE jump for my career despite the (low) salary for this area. I also would be making more here than I would ever make at my former job even after working there for 10 years (I worked there for 2.5 with no benefits), so there's that. For right now, I'll be staying with family in Dumfries and once I start my regular schedule I'll use the OmniRide to commute to work in the morning.

In the meantime, are there any other ways to find safe roommates outside of Craigslist in this area for a young female? I (and my family) don't trust it, especially not with the Craigslist serial killer news. I've spoken with my friends in this area and none of them are looking for roommates currently and won't be until possibly mid-Summer. One of my friends mentioned that two of her friends rents a basement apartment and it's okay, but she doesn't think I'd want to live with them. Also, my mom wants me to find a small, but affordable studio apt but I'm stressing because all of you have said I'd never be able to survive on my salary. ��

Old 02-24-2014, 03:04 AM

14 posts, read 38,792 times
I absolutely would NOT make the move. I moved from Richmond to Fredericksburg when I married my husband. I totally regret the move and have for fifteen years (don't regret the marriage though). Northern Virginia is a miserable, miserable, hateful place...especially if you are used to the courtesy and kindness displayed by those who live in Richmond and further south and east. Nothing but constant home invasions and murders all around the D.C. area in the suburbs every darn day on the news too. The Metro is no longer even safe to ride on like it was when I first moved here. You better have a concealed carry permit...never mind pepper spray. I am sure I will get slammed for stating this opinion, but hey....sorry to state the truth. Also, the cost of living gets more ridiculous the further north you go. That salary you got offered would need to start at $45,000 a year plus benefits for you to even consider living modestly in the D.C. area with commuting and auto upkeep, rent, insurances, etc. I would tell the firm you accepted this offer with that unless there is a guarantee for excellent performance of a raise to the mid-forties after one year, that you simply cannot afford to take the position. And, I can also guarantee you that any male offered that same position WOULD start out in the mid-forties. I do not even need to know what position you are taking to state that with confidence. I just know the area. Do some research on sites that show you what salary other people make for the same job in the same area. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Wicked girl. Where do you get all of your info? Please show the proof for this comment: "Nothing but constant home invasions and murders." I've been in NOVA since 73 and have not had my home invaded yet and I don't believe I've been murdered yet. You have your reasons for not liking NOVA and that's fine but you are way off base on your assessment.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:27 AM

14 posts, read 38,792 times
Bigfoot, I did not come on here to get into a debate. I do not have the mentality that seems to prevail on message forums these days that everyone needs to get nasty, attack each other, and show proof of every single statement uttered (I feel confident people know how to Google for themselves if they want).

The OP asked for OPINIONS. I gave mine. All that is needed by her to verify anything I said is to watch the 4, 5 or 6 PM NBC 4 news any day of the week. ANY day. Yikes! In fact, I turned on the 6 AM news and here was what was going on this morning in just the first fifteen minutes:

- One person dead, another injured in shoot out @ 13th St and Alabama Ave. SE
- Man shot in chest in Old Town Alexandria last night, N. Payne and Wythe St.
- 3 people found shot to death in Capitol Heights apartment
- Man shot in back in northeast DC Sunday morning, he has died
- Murder in Woodbridge grocery store, police looking for suspect
- Elderly woman assaulted in Riverdale, police looking for attacker
'Nough said.

Last edited by WickedGirl; 02-24-2014 at 04:25 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGirl View Post
Bigfoot, I did not come on here to get into a debate. I do not have the mentality that seems to prevail on message forums these days that everyone needs to get nasty, attack each other, and show proof of every single statement uttered (I feel confident people know how to Google for themselves if they want).

The OP asked for OPINIONS. I gave mine. All that is needed by her to verify anything I said is to watch the 4, 5 or 6 PM NBC 4 news any day of the week. ANY day. Yikes! In fact, I turned on the 6 AM news and here was what was going on this morning in just the first fifteen minutes:

'Nough said.
Well, I don't think Richmond has ever had the reputation of being America's safest city:
Richmond, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As opposed to statistics for Fairfax County: Fairfax County crime hit another record low in 2012, statistics show

Every single category of crime is higher in Richmond not just on a per capita basis but on actual incidents of crime. Granted, Fairfax County is just one of the jurisdictions in the metro DC area, but these statistics alone, I think, pretty clearly demonstrate that you just don't have your facts straight. Local news headlines are usually about sensationalism, not facts.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGirl View Post

'Nough said.

You do realize how many people live in the NOVA area. Take the DMV area and the numbers go up dramatically. You claimed "nothing but home invasions" and I asked for proof. You can't provide it as it's not true. Does it happen? Yep, fact of life. But many home invasions are done by someone looking for drugs or money from someone they know is dealing and has some of both. You probably have as much chance of being a victim of home invasion as you do of winning the lottery. You posted some crime headlines from the DMV area and not just NOVA. I can go to just about any news media anywhere around the country and find the same type of articles.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,438 times
I work in the news and I'm from Richmond. LOL I'm not concerned about the crime or people's friendliness because to be honest, people in Richmond aren't the most friendly people I've ever met either. (I'd have to move further South to get that) but thanks for your opinion. I'll do fine.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 PM

53 posts, read 66,204 times
If you go up to 1400$ or so you could live somewhere like this-this building caters to law students and is safe. You could walk to work and save yourself parking/car payment.
Capital Plaza Apartments in Capitol Hill | 35 E St NW Washington DC

Old 02-24-2014, 01:46 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,928 times
Other than CL: your company's HR Department? college alumni association? sorority? ask churches if you could put a not in their bulletins? any clubs/organizations your parents are in that have bulletin/newsletters? Might be a real stretch but GW, Georgetown, American, Howard universities' newspapers sometimes have ads of students looking for roommates (might be a bit young but maybe you could find a grad/law student). Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia