Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,291 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

My girlfriend and I are possibly moving to Alexandria/Arlington area. Let me tell you a bit about us and maybe we can fit some type of 'class' in this "snobby?" area. Our interests include:

Going out to eat once a week
camping
hiking
I'd like to get into hunting, shooting, fishing more. she's not into gunz
wine tasting! we love wine and I also brew some myself. It's quite delicious
We both love working out. Ideally, 4-6 times a week.
I'm in IT, she does marketing

We're friendly but not as social as we would like because we aren't taking the time to do so, I think. Also, we're a bit out of place. We are pretty conservative(NOT POLITICALLY) but in the way we do things. During the week we work,exercise, eat and sleep(8 hours like a beast). Also when we stay up past 10, it's like we are breaking all the rules!!, hehe. People that do the same routine as us are older and/or have kids so it's hard finding young adults(23) that like to do the same things. We are both pretty established in our careers and saving money to buy our first home when we get married so we don't make stupid decisions that end up costing us money. Not cheap, just conscious.

Anyways, thanks for reading if you made it this far! Inbox me if you want to hang out or give some recommendations about moving to the area. I know I said we/us a lot but i'm not looking for only couple friends, you gotta mix it up sometimes!

One more thing: I read how snobby nova is and a member commented on other jeeps not waving back.....that's cold dude. If I get a Wrangler, I promise to wave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
You'll be fine. The whole NoVA is snobby thing is extremely over exaggregated, there's snobby people everywhere. As long as you're friendly and outgoing, like anywhere else in America, you'll make friends here.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:01 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
I rode around in my friend's Wrangler and we were constantly waved at (and we did wave back).

Old 05-08-2015, 04:45 PM

313 posts, read 551,661 times
You'll be fine. The whole NoVA is snobby thing is extremely over exaggregated, there's snobby people everywhere. As long as you're friendly and outgoing, like anywhere else in America, you'll make friends here.

I love NoVa and have had a great experience since moving, but come on...lets be honest here. There's more of it, it's more concetrated, and if you don't have the status people don't want to give you the time of day as compared to other places. Making friends here is not difficult, as you said, but we hold our own with lower manhattan and the california burbs when it comes to douche per square mile.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:46 PM

105 posts, read 95,907 times
..Nova is snobby?..

Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
You shouldn't judge an area you barley know nothing about. The whole she said he said thing is childish. Maybe you should get to know the area first before assuming all of it is "snobby".

Old 05-19-2015, 05:46 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You shouldn't judge an area you barley know nothing about. The whole she said he said thing is childish. Maybe you should get to know the area first before assuming all of it is "snobby".
Spoken like one of the riffraff.

This OP's whole post has a certain Jesse Pinkman quality to it: "Yo, she ain't into gunz, he he." "I cold rock this bed--shuttin' da eyez for 8 hours like a beast" Watch out!

(On a side note: Millennials! It's either "hee hee" [sheepish giggle] or "heh heh" [malevolent chuckling]. And while I have your attention--oh, who am I kidding, you're back on your texts now--it's spelled "yeah.")

Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

(On a side note: Millennials! It's either "hee hee" [sheepish giggle] or "heh heh" [malevolent chuckling]. And while I have your attention--oh, who am I kidding, you're back on your texts now--it's spelled "yeah.")
Someone's got a case of the Tuesdays......

Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontknowyou View Post
Hey y'all!

My girlfriend and I are possibly moving to Alexandria/Arlington area. Let me tell you a bit about us and maybe we can fit some type of 'class' in this "snobby?" area. Our interests include:

Going out to eat once a week
camping
hiking
I'd like to get into hunting, shooting, fishing more. she's not into gunz
wine tasting! we love wine and I also brew some myself. It's quite delicious
We both love working out. Ideally, 4-6 times a week.
I'm in IT, she does marketing
You can find people with your interests (whatever they are) on meetup.com. Just google "meetup wine tasting alexandria" and see what you find (lots of wine groups):

https://www.google.com/search?q=meet...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

social class does not equate to snobbery - it is finding people with whom you are comfortable ....

Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,726 times
I didn't even know you could brew wine... :-)

OP, there are wine tasting MeetUps you might like. Also, if you play sports in addition to working out, there are lots of leagues and social groups with a range of ages in Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia