Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm new to the Forum(s), have been living in noVA for 17 years, am a family man, and my career has been as a technical writer, mostly in IT environments.

Last year, I was unemployed except for March through June. Stupidly ( ), I did not apply for unemployment benefits, largely because I was "so sure" I would be landing a job "any day now." Time slipped by, and here we're into 2014, I'm still job hunting, and considering an out-of-state move to improve our situation.

Anyway, my question is this: Regarding my very poor decision to not file for unemployment, can someone in my type of situation file much later, and receive retroactive benefits?

I've Googled this question and searched these forums, and have not found a solid answer. I have phoned State offices but am always on hold forever, and for now I've given up on them answering my call and my question(s).

If anyone has a verified answer to this, and/or can direct me to a website with reliable info, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,
David G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,830,067 times
There is a forum for Unemployment questions but I'm pretty sure they won't retroactively pay you for nearly a yr. ago

Old 02-19-2014, 08:23 AM

790 posts, read 1,882,532 times
I'd suggest that you personally go to the unemployment office and ask them your questions. I believe you might be able to start unemployment benefits now. But they'll be able to help you more directly.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,390,075 times
I am not certain but I would doubt it. During the time you are on unemployment you have to be actively seeking employment and filling out paperwork to that effect. The potential employers may have to sign a sheet of paper saying that you applied , etc.

When I was living in Maryland I lost my job and went to apply for unemployment but ended up moving and just dropped it.

Good luck..

Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times
I don't think you can get retroactive payments. You probably can get payments from this point forward, as long as you show evidence that you are continuing to apply for at least two jobs every week. You may have to show some sort of evidence that you've been actively seeking work in the past year--not sure about that but it's worth checking into.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM

17 posts, read 42,255 times
Unemployment does not issue / award retroactive payments.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 9,090 times
The only retroactive payment most states provide for unemployment benefits is from the date you apply to the date you are approved. Since the Viriginia unemployment application asks for all employment in the past 18 months (your salary for the past 5 calendar quarters is used to determine your unemployment pay rate -see File an Initial or Weekly / Continued Claim | Virginia Employment Commission) you may still have a chance. I would suggest filing a claim sooner rather than later. The worst that can happen is you don't get approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia