Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 PM

397 posts, read 365,482 times

Advertisements

So, my parents are having back pains (dad) and other muscle pains (both).

I have never gotten a massage or chiropractor's services in the past so I don't know what's the best but I have checked out some prices.

1) For massages, does anybody have any experience for regulars? I saw "massage envy" but there appears to be quite a bit of mixed reviews for them. I figured my parents being in their late late 50's/early 60's they could use this since they appear to have more and more muscle problems. (no joint pains apparently which I figured they'd get first as they got old)

2) My dad appears to have slept the wrong way that's causing his lower back pains but he's had it now for a while. I want him to go see a chiropractor. Any recommendations or perhaps websites I can check out for review? I have a feeling this service can be easily manipulated for extra cash and unnecessary services. Ideally, I'm looking for ones that are open on Sundays so I can be there as well if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 PM

254 posts, read 424,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax View Post
So, my parents are having back pains (dad) and other muscle pains (both).

I have never gotten a massage or chiropractor's services in the past so I don't know what's the best but I have checked out some prices.

1) For massages, does anybody have any experience for regulars? I saw "massage envy" but there appears to be quite a bit of mixed reviews for them. I figured my parents being in their late late 50's/early 60's they could use this since they appear to have more and more muscle problems. (no joint pains apparently which I figured they'd get first as they got old)

2) My dad appears to have slept the wrong way that's causing his lower back pains but he's had it now for a while. I want him to go see a chiropractor. Any recommendations or perhaps websites I can check out for review? I have a feeling this service can be easily manipulated for extra cash and unnecessary services. Ideally, I'm looking for ones that are open on Sundays so I can be there as well if possible.
I've had massages and several chiropractors. I've wrecked my back in the past because I'm an athlete. Anyways, they are as far apart as a Honda Civic is to a Tesla S Model. Massages are where you go when you have no problems and want to relax and get a hot girl to massage you.

Chiropractors are where you go when you want to walk again. Check with your insurance provider, they will usually have a website of providers that are covered or partially covered.

If you are paying in cash, I think the chiropractors I've had in the past charge $100-300 per session. If you get a good one, they do work!

I've gone to some in the past when I was literally tearing up from the pain in my back and neck.

After a few snaps, I was like and then like and then like and then like .

Bottom line: find a decent chiropractor and leave that massage stuff for vacations and when you aren't hurting.

Good night!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,265,207 times
Reston Chiropractic - Comfort Chiropractic
Comfort Chiropractic - Reston, VA | Yelp

Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 AM

2,149 posts, read 3,082,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
I've had massages and several chiropractors. I've wrecked my back in the past because I'm an athlete. Anyways, they are as far apart as a Honda Civic is to a Tesla S Model. Massages are where you go when you have no problems and want to relax and get a hot girl to massage you.
Nonsense, and insulting.

Both are beneficial. I've been going to the massage therapist at for over 6 years at the LifeWellness Centre on Sunrise Valley Drive in Herndon. She operates out of the chiropractic office so they have that service as well.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:52 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,747,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post

Chiropractors are where you go when you want to walk again. Check with your insurance provider, they will usually have a website of providers that are covered or partially covered.

If you are paying in cash, I think the chiropractors I've had in the past charge $100-300 per session. If you get a good one, they do work!

I've gone to some in the past when I was literally tearing up from the pain in my back and neck.

After a few snaps, I was like and then like and then like and then like .

Bottom line: find a decent chiropractor and leave that massage stuff for vacations and when you aren't hurting.

Good night!
I do both and agree with mikecart...etc for the hot girl part. Bring on a Sven or Gustov!

Anyhow, as a frequent flyer at both, I would recommend the Chiro first. A massage if you aren't used to them can actually cause more muscle aches afterwards, and they might complain. I love it! And of course there are different levels of massage, relaxation etc. Which are great, but won't really solve deep issues.

The problems might be Chiropractic in nature anyway, I know my muscle problems are. So start there, then if possible have a massage done at the Chiro office, they have a little more experience with issues, and know what might be wrong.

I love...love...love my Chiro - Alexandria Spine Care on Franconia road.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 AM

254 posts, read 424,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Nonsense, and insulting.

Both are beneficial. I've been going to the massage therapist at for over 6 years at the LifeWellness Centre on Sunrise Valley Drive in Herndon. She operates out of the chiropractic office so they have that service as well.
That's your opinion. Massages may be beneficial if you have minor muscle aches. However, if you look at any athlete, bodybuilder, or anyone with serious back/neck injuries like myself, they don't drop $100 to see some massage. They get it professionally fixed from a chiropractor. Look up especially any pro bodybuilder that needs to have their back realigned regularly. Your local massage parlor is not trained to fix that.

And you said your massage person works out of a chiropractic office which means she probably has training in that field too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I do both and agree with mikecart...etc for the hot girl part. Bring on a Sven or Gustov!

Anyhow, as a frequent flyer at both, I would recommend the Chiro first. A massage if you aren't used to them can actually cause more muscle aches afterwards, and they might complain. I love it! And of course there are different levels of massage, relaxation etc. Which are great, but won't really solve deep issues.

The problems might be Chiropractic in nature anyway, I know my muscle problems are. So start there, then if possible have a massage done at the Chiro office, they have a little more experience with issues, and know what might be wrong.

I love...love...love my Chiro - Alexandria Spine Care on Franconia road.
Thanks! I agree with what I bolded 1000%! It makes 0 sense to go to a massage person when the problem is bone, structure, or alignment related.

Also my insurance website has options for chiropractic providers. I have never seen any category called massage parlors.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,747,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Nonsense, and insulting.

They are both beneficial, sure but as Mikecart stated, you are perhaps using a highly trained chiro massage therapist, which is a far cry from some at say Massage Envy - not to say they aren't great for that nice relaxing massage, but as I stated, for beginners with pain they might not be the best source. If you have sciatica you want someone that is trained to treat it. Nothing like a 30 minutes rub on one muscle.

I was talking up massage to a friend and they went for a deep tissue and hated it. It hurt, and they were in pain for days. I've done the same, and knew what was coming, but those 90 minutes was heaven, but an elderly person might not want to start that way.

I also sent my husband (an fitness freak) and he cried...cried! Not from the pain, but from the release of hormones..endorpines etc. Don't know if I will ever get him back. It was way too emotional for him.

And you also get what you pay for, the Four Seasons - excellent massage $$$, mall massage $ - for a reason.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,174,180 times
I've had lots of massages, none of which involved a desire to have a hot girl rub me down. Massages are great for overall wellness. I don't go there to relax, I go to relieve stress and tension/pain. I was a member of Massage Envy for two years until I moved out of the area. Most of the massages were good quality, you just need to find a therapist you like (and they are open on Sunday). Probably the best massage I ever had was at the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. Agree with slduvall on this.

I tend to think of chiropractors as quacks, though I've never been to one (just heard stories).

The OP sounds more like a need for an actual doctor.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 AM

82 posts, read 147,322 times
Highly recommend Dr.Luke! He is fantastic!
Dr. Pietrantone | Chiropractor and Applied Kinesiologist

Old 02-26-2014, 04:00 PM

50 posts, read 70,585 times
There are many great, good and decent chiropractors in Fairfax, just as there are many great, good and decent is every profession out there. If you need a referral in a particular area I would be happy to point you in the right direction. I have worked for the Chiropractic State Association for many years and would be happy to find the right fit for your Dad, Mom and possibly yourself as well.
I strongly believe in it not only from an orthopedic view but as a lifestyle view as well. If we take care of ourselves, nutritionally exercise and body maintenance we will surely be better off.
You can contact me via email if you wish.
Life2uadio@aol.com
Yours In Health,
Christopher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia