Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 PM

371 posts, read 554,951 times

Advertisements

Looking for some insight into the commute, routes,
when to leave/return and how long it takes etc. Is
Metro an option?

This is for a great job opportunity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 02:31 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,324,633 times
I assume you are not from this area, so why have you chosen to live in Southriding instead of closer to Rockville?

In short its doable, so long as you are ok with waking up at 4:30am, and still having a 70 minute commute on good days each way. Leave the house any later than 5:15 and that goes up to 90 minutes easily. Just wondering why anyone would want to do that to themselves.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,522,030 times
South Riding to Leesburg is 20 minutes alone. From there it's a good 50-70 minutes to Rockville depending on when it is and where in Rockville it is. If it's along Key West Avenue (Route 28) that's better. If it's S/E of town near 355, that's worse.

It might be more bearable if you can take MARC from Point of Rocks and at least sit in a train for 30-40 of those minutes, though ... But -- MARC has fewer stops/trains than does Metro.

Leesburg to Rockville is at least sort of bearable.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,136,240 times
Sometimes I think these unrealistic commutes are posted just to start the back and forth here. The OP must not live here or would understand how brutal this daily trip would be. Horrible traffic every mile traveled.
Maybe in a few years when VA Rt 50 in Chantilly is widened, you could get from South Riding to the 267 toll road in about 40-minutes. Then to the Cabin John in another 30-40 minutes, and to Rockville in another 20-30 minutes. Why would you do that to yourself?
Find a place to live that's no more than an hour during rush periods, so you'll have a life.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Maybe in a few years when VA Rt 50 in Chantilly is widened, you could get from South Riding to the 267 toll road in about 40-minutes. Then to the Cabin John in another 30-40 minutes, and to Rockville in another 20-30 minutes. Why would you do that to yourself?
So, today (not after 50 is widened), you can get from South Riding to the Toll Road in 20-25 minutes, and then to Cabin John pkwy in another 25 minutes. From the Cabin John Parkway, you can get to Rockville in 15 minutes. These are the times if you are on the road at 7 am. While it is over an hour, and can certainly be much longer due to an accident or weather, it is no where near the the hour forty minutes you are quoting for the future.

I agree, it is a long commute, but if you are going to quote actual times, you should actually make that commute, so you are providing accurate information.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,136,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, today (not after 50 is widened), you can get from South Riding to the Toll Road in 20-25 minutes, and then to Cabin John pkwy in another 25 minutes. From the Cabin John Parkway, you can get to Rockville in 15 minutes. These are the times if you are on the road at 7 am. While it is over an hour, and can certainly be much longer due to an accident or weather, it is no where near the the hour forty minutes you are quoting for the future.

I agree, it is a long commute, but if you are going to quote actual times, you should actually make that commute, so you are providing accurate information.

Who on earth would be on the road at 7AM? How about a more reasonable 8:15AM? Then my times are correctamundo.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 PM

9,890 posts, read 14,174,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Who on earth would be on the road at 7AM?
Anyone who would need to be in Rockville at a reasonable time from South Riding. For those of us with long commutes and many other people, it is preferable to start early and have more time at the end of the day. I'm on the road by 6:30, and I'm certainly not the only one.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,322,297 times
I can't give you an exact time like the others but it will be a pretty bad commute. But like others said you could try going in extra early. Depending on how great the opportunity is it may be worth it in the short term. I took a job 5 years ago commuting from Tysons Corner deep into MD, much further than I ever thought I would consider. But it was a great opportunity and helped my career a lot. Now I'm beginning to look at switching to a closer job. A lot of posters here are quick to post DON'T DO IT the minute someone asks about a bad commute but it could be worth it. I doubt that commute is something you could do for your whole career, you'd probably tire of it. But I'm sure people have.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,270,863 times
My husband does the commute 1 day a week from Bristow to Rockville. He leaves a little before 6:00 am and he drives a hybrid. 66 to the belway, and up to 270. Usually takes 50 minutes. He's fortunate that he only has to deal with the am since he leaves at lunch time

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM

371 posts, read 554,951 times
Thank you all for your input. I am fairly new to the area and hence the question.

As FCNova said, this is for a growth opportunity and hence considering it.

Is the evening commute worse? Looks like the morning is doable in an hour or if one leaves early. What is a good time to leave in the evening and approximately how long will it take?

I plan to do the commute in rush hour but just want some data points from others who have done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia