Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:38 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,770,928 times

Advertisements

Ha, what a scum bag. I swear the only reason some people have money to buy property is because they pull this type of BS ANYTIME they can throughout their life. Always having their hand out. And then they become landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,575,276 times
Here's what I would do: renting month-month usually has a premium to the cost for the tenant. It's a convenience thing for the tenant, a value, and landlords thereby charge more for those types of leases. It doesn't sound like he's charging you more on your actual rent to stay an extra month or two, but instead is trying to collect that money via some maintenance costs associated with his ownership of your unit. The part that would frighten me, is the unlimited amount that could be, as written without some kind of price cap, or your input on who would do the work. That, I would NEVER agree to. However, if I were in your shoes, I would agree to setting a cap to that work, say $200 for an extra two months, and to be supplied to the landlord with his submission to you of the invoice of the job. This will likely provoke three responses:
1) OK - because he already knows who'll do the job and likely how much, and it'll likely be for around $200.
2) OK, but not verifiable by the invoices, just a set $200 - because he knows the cost estimate for the job, and it's likely less than $200.
3) No, sign as presented or vacate my unit. I would vacate the unit, no question about it. Remember, when you vacate, you're only obligated to honor the original lease, which means clean the carpet. As long as you haven't damaged the property, your security deposit should not be in harm's way. The burden to prove that he needs your security deposit is on him, and the threshold for that proof is already written into your lease. A landlord who accepts cats, is also accepting the normal wear and tear that comes with cats. For him to say that you made his apartment unit smell like cats, is (1) subjective to his own opinion, which is not protected by contract law, and (2) part of the risk he assumed by allowing a tenant to have cats in the first place. His only contractual out to fix that, is for you to clean the carpets.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:34 AM

16 posts, read 36,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Here's what I would do: renting month-month usually has a premium to the cost for the tenant. It's a convenience thing for the tenant, a value, and landlords thereby charge more for those types of leases. It doesn't sound like he's charging you more on your actual rent to stay an extra month or two, but instead is trying to collect that money via some maintenance costs associated with his ownership of your unit. The part that would frighten me, is the unlimited amount that could be, as written without some kind of price cap, or your input on who would do the work. That, I would NEVER agree to. However, if I were in your shoes, I would agree to setting a cap to that work, say $200 for an extra two months, and to be supplied to the landlord with his submission to you of the invoice of the job. This will likely provoke three responses:
1) OK - because he already knows who'll do the job and likely how much, and it'll likely be for around $200.
2) OK, but not verifiable by the invoices, just a set $200 - because he knows the cost estimate for the job, and it's likely less than $200.
3) No, sign as presented or vacate my unit. I would vacate the unit, no question about it. Remember, when you vacate, you're only obligated to honor the original lease, which means clean the carpet. As long as you haven't damaged the property, your security deposit should not be in harm's way. The burden to prove that he needs your security deposit is on him, and the threshold for that proof is already written into your lease. A landlord who accepts cats, is also accepting the normal wear and tear that comes with cats. For him to say that you made his apartment unit smell like cats, is (1) subjective to his own opinion, which is not protected by contract law, and (2) part of the risk he assumed by allowing a tenant to have cats in the first place. His only contractual out to fix that, is for you to clean the carpets.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. You are alleviating my worries over my security deposit. I'll think on the $200 offer. The most he will let me stay is one month, not two. Also, the house does not smell like cats. His argument is that I keep the litter box in the basement, next to the HVAC unit so the ducts are dirty. A. I don't think that follows and B. I have kept it there since day 1 and he has inspected the place numerous times throughout the years. To me, saying this now is just an attempt to grab more $.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,741,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey4 View Post
Thanks so much for your thoughts. You are alleviating my worries over my security deposit. I'll think on the $200 offer. The most he will let me stay is one month, not two. Also, the house does not smell like cats. His argument is that I keep the litter box in the basement, next to the HVAC unit so the ducts are dirty. A. I don't think that follows and B. I have kept it there since day 1 and he has inspected the place numerous times throughout the years. To me, saying this now is just an attempt to grab more $.
His reasoning re. the HVAC unit is preposterous. The actual compressor doesn't suck in the air to be pumped through the house; that would be the air-exchange vent somewhere else in the house. If the compressor operated as he seems to think, then all these outdoor compressors on detached houses would make the houses smell like leaves and gutter drippings.

I would NOT sign something that gets you involved in his plan to clean the vents at all. I could easily see the initial estimate rising based on some nebulous factors discovered by the HVAC guy. Honestly, your landlord is kind of a scumbag, and I would not trust him at all. Negotiate to pay slightly more per month, if that's what it'll take. If he want to use the extra income to clean the vents after you leave, that's his business. You don't want to be involved.

And if he tries to keep your security deposit, take him to court! Small-claims court will cost you almost nothing, and they frown on landlords doing that kind of thing.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,586,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
His reasoning re. the HVAC unit is preposterous. The actual compressor doesn't suck in the air to be pumped through the house; that would be the air-exchange vent somewhere else in the house. If the compressor operated as he seems to think, then all these outdoor compressors on detached houses would make the houses smell like leaves and gutter drippings.

I would NOT sign something that gets you involved in his plan to clean the vents at all. I could easily see the initial estimate rising based on some nebulous factors discovered by the HVAC guy. Honestly, your landlord is kind of a scumbag, and I would not trust him at all. Negotiate to pay slightly more per month, if that's what it'll take. If he want to use the extra income to clean the vents after you leave, that's his business. You don't want to be involved.

And if he tries to keep your security deposit, take him to court! Small-claims court will cost you almost nothing, and they frown on landlords doing that kind of thing.
Agree 100 % , draw a line thru the statement in the new rental agreement he gave you , make a copy of it for your records, send it to him Certified Mail, then if he wants to evict you it will take 30 days + to complete the process in a court of law and you can bring his extortion letter in as evidence, which most Judges will also take as an attempt to extort money from you.

Just make sure you contact a" licensed carpet cleaner" to clean the rugs just in case you have to file a claim in small claims court for your deposit money, ( don't do it your self).

Old 02-24-2014, 06:51 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,958,057 times
Leave at then end of the lease - don't look back. I hate seeing people that can't stand to lose add their own terms so they can win only in their own minds. He's trying to manipulate you. Don't play along. Game over.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:29 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,211,393 times
If you have somewhere else to go, leave. This might be an indication he'll try to keep your deposit. I agree about hiring a professional carpet cleaning people and keeping the receipt. What a jerk.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM

16 posts, read 36,376 times
Thank you everyone for the continued advice, which is much appreciated. I told my landlord I would not pay to have the air ducts in his house cleaned. He waited 3 weeks before telling me if I could have the month extension, and I am pretty sure he waited hoping it would be too late for me to move somewhere else and I would be forced to accept his extortionate terms. Yes, he is a scumbag and I hope his place sits empty for a long time. I will definitely get a receipt from a professional carpet cleaners. Anyone have any recommendations for someone cheap?

Rent here was expensive--$3400 a month and to be treated like this after 3 1/2 years is really upsetting.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,255,297 times
Ayoub cleans my carpets.

Ayoub Carpet Cleaning and Rug Cleaning | ACS | Northern Virginia, Fairfax, Washington DC

Last time I rented and wanted a few extra months at the end of a lease the apartment complex added $500/month to the rent for the privilege.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:47 PM

10 posts, read 15,526 times
What does your lease actually say about the conclusion of the year? Most automatically convert to month-to-month and have some sort of notice requirement for either party to terminate the month-to-month part. If you're in the last week of the month, he might not have provided enough notice and may have to give another month (well, rent you another month).

The Virginia Realtors "standard residential lease" has this clause in section 1.j.: "Cancellation and Renewal of Lease: Either party may terminate this Lease effective as of the end of the then-existing Term by giving the other party written notice at least ________________ (______) days before the end of the then-existing Term. If no such notice of termination is given, the Term of this Lease shall be extended for self-renewing terms of ______________________. If Landlord intends to change the terms or conditions of this Lease, including increasing the Rent, for any renewal term thereafter, Landlord will give Tenant written notice at least __________ days prior to the end of the then applicable term."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: