Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,879 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am planning to rent a condo from an owner. Recently we found that the same condo is up for sale and has Contingent with Kickout clause.
1) WHat does this mean?
2)Should we go ahead with the lease or annul the lease and move into a new place?

The current owners are denying that it is for sale and they say it is only for refi.

3) We have asked them to make changes to the lease and ensure that we will occupy the place for the next 1 year with the same rent.
4) Should we make any other changes to the lease?
5)Also, even if the current owners make such changes, would it be valid once the house gets sold?

We have also given a security deposit.
6) Would it make sense to stop payments on that check?

I am sorry for a ton of questions. It would be great to get an answer on this ASAP so that we can make required changes and also sign a new lease if required.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:31 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,597 times
A contingent with a kick out clause means there is a contract on the property that has been accepted by the owner, the kick out means (if used correctly, often it isn't) means there are contingencies in the offer that will cause the owner to "kick out" that contract if the contingencies are not fulfilled. It definitely means the property is up for sale. When a property is sold that has a tenant in it, the sale is subordinate to the lease meaning the tenant continues to live there until the lease expires. THERE IS A BIG EXCEPTION TO THIS! If the property is being sold due to a foreclosure the terms of the lease no longer apply and the tenant can be evicted. If you will direct message me I will attempt to find out for you what the situation is as far as the sale goes. If you used an agent for this, your agent will be able to find out this information. I will need the address of the property.

As far as the security deposit goes, the check should not be cashed by the landlord until you sign the lease, unless an exception is noted in the application. Please read all the paperwork you signed, this should give the information you need.

As I said before, I will be happy to find out what I can for you but don't wait any longer to find out what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia