Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 9,169 times

Advertisements

We just closed (last week) on a townhome in PW county. We were given one key and two garage door openers that were left in house. As we were moving in this week it dawned on me that we were never given a mailbox key or told which number box was ours. After days of trying to get a response from the listing agent, we were told it was left in a drawer in the kitchen. Surprise - no key to found. The agent says the former owners says the former tennant says they left it in the drawer (the former owners are also having to ask the former tennant what the mailbox number is). I'm pretty sure no one bothered to verify whether or not the mailbox key was in the drawer. So now my agent is trying to track down the appropratie P.O. agency to try and not only found out what number we are but to alose get another key. I don't know if there will be any fees with this (I assume any dealings with government require fees) but is there any recourse for us since we were never provided access? Also is there any contract clause or something to make the listing agent get off her butt and help out in resloving this issue? We need to change our address no later than the 24 of this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM

529 posts, read 750,837 times
If at there is any fees, it shouldn't be much. It's always a good practice to change mail box keys/all the other door keys when you buy a home (not a brand new).

I had to change mine several years ago, after I contacted USPS, I was asked to pay around $25 (not very sure of the amount, but not a lot) and they took a few days to change the lock in your mail box. You can then go to usps later to get the keys.

as part of closing, didn't you guys check if you have received all the keys? your realtor should have handled it for you, especially if you are a first time home buyer.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
go to the post office with your HUD1 and schedule for them to come change the lock. They'll also be able to tell you what number yours is

Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,169 times
At closing we were given 1 house key (we have already changed the locks) and told there were two garage door openers and mailbox key in a drawer. Garage door openers were there. Mailbox key was not. We are first time townhome buyers (not first time single family home buyers) so, no, I did not think to ask for mailbox information before closing. $25 is not much, but it's the principal. Shouldn't the former owner be required to pass along all keys as part of site access? Isn't the mailbox considered part of the "premises"? The mailbox key is not specifally listed in the contract, but neither is the front door key. My realtor was going off of what the listing told her. She is actively trying to get us a new key. The other realtor has pretty much written us off and is no help, litteraly saying - it was left in drawer "sorry".

Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
Yes, it would have been nice for all the keys to be there. However, you do bear some of the responsibility in making sure they were present. Not trying to be mean...because I've made the same mistake in other forms. It's a good lesson. And YOUR agent bears some of the blame. He/she should have gone over a check list with you, especially since it seems no one knew which box was yours.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinciebat View Post
At closing we were given 1 house key (we have already changed the locks) and told there were two garage door openers and mailbox key in a drawer. Garage door openers were there. Mailbox key was not. We are first time townhome buyers (not first time single family home buyers) so, no, I did not think to ask for mailbox information before closing. $25 is not much, but it's the principal. Shouldn't the former owner be required to pass along all keys as part of site access? Isn't the mailbox considered part of the "premises"? The mailbox key is not specifally listed in the contract, but neither is the front door key. My realtor was going off of what the listing told her. She is actively trying to get us a new key. The other realtor has pretty much written us off and is no help, litteraly saying - it was left in drawer "sorry".
IMO, even if they had given you a key, it would have been in your best interest to go through the steps to get it rekeyed.. You wouldn't want someone else having a copy of your key.

First thing I tell a client as we're preparing to go to settlement is to immediately rekey the front door etc and contact the post office to arrange for a rekey (if townhome/condo)

Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Just pay the fee and get it settled. It will be easier. We once lived in a home for 5 years without ever having a mailbox key, and it was a huge pain in the neck. The post office would not give us a new one because we were renting and the owners said they never had one. We ended up having to put a box out with our name on it and ask the mailman to put all our mail in the box, but every once in a while he'd be out sick and the substitute mail person would put our mail in the box and we would never get it. It caused some problems. So if you can get the key for a small fee, then it will be well worth avoiding the hassle of not having one in time.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
What's strange is that they don't even know which Post Office box is their's. It's unfortunate -- I'm not making light of this. But it's poor skills on the realtor's part, too. H/she really should have reviewed the docs and said, hey..make sure you get the key or at least ID the box. Very odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia