Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM

249 posts, read 400,033 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think about PWC?

To me it's the gateway to southern culture and classic American suburbia mixed in with "country". Woodbridge and Manassas seem to have a rivalry but both lack what the other has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,274,481 times
I've been in PWC since 73 but I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make. It has its good along with its not so good. Want to be more specific?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,694,394 times
Well, I live in PWC (Woodbridge) and I don't notice any southern culture or "country." That may have been the case in the 70s and 80s, but those features have moved on down to Stafford and points south.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 PM

6,577 posts, read 8,436,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, I live in PWC (Woodbridge) and I don't notice any southern culture or "country." That may have been the case in the 70s and 80s, but those features have moved on down to Stafford and points south.
I get a southern culture/country feel around the Nokesville area - generally speaking, the areas along Rt. 28 south of the PW Pkwy. Even along the PW Pkwy between Hoadley Road and Liberia Avenue is countryish.

However, I don't really feel a rivalry between Woodbridge and Manassas.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:02 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,411,557 times
There's not really anything southern about Woodbridge.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,365,114 times
Depends where in PWC, I guess.

Woodbridge and Manassas are neither southern/country, nor classic American suburbia.

I consider them to be middle class exurbs of a major international city

Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,694,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I get a southern culture/country feel around the Nokesville area - generally speaking, the areas along Rt. 28 south of the PW Pkwy. Even along the PW Pkwy between Hoadley Road and Liberia Avenue is countryish.

However, I don't really feel a rivalry between Woodbridge and Manassas.
Do you mean "country" or rural. I've been in both of those areas and they are certainly more wooded with large parcels of land, the vibe is not "country" from the people who live there. I guess when the OP talked about southern culture and country, it was more of a vibe in the culture.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 PM

6,577 posts, read 8,436,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Do you mean "country" or rural. I've been in both of those areas and they are certainly more wooded with large parcels of land, the vibe is not "country" from the people who live there. I guess when the OP talked about southern culture and country, it was more of a vibe in the culture.
I don't know anyone who lives in that area so I don't know if the people are country. The area strongly resembles where I grew up which was rural/country. Large parcels of land with homes, farms, farmhouses, brick ramblers, barns about to fall in, horses, cows, llamas (or alpacas - not really sure which), etc.

Every time I drive through I appreciate the country feel that area has - too bad the commute would be unbearable.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,756,365 times
I live in Manassas, but I think the area is pretty much like the rest of Northern Virginia. Historically it is southern, but now very suburban and some rural areas with a mix of people from all over the world.

I don't know if there is much rivalry between Woodbridge and Manassas. In some places the two overlap, like the Hoadly Road area. I guess it more or so depends on where you work. I picked Manassas since it was closer to Dulles, if I worked in Alexandria, I would probably have moved to Woodbridge.

I do agree with you when you say one lacks what the other has. Manassas has a better historical downtown with shops and restaurants, while Woodbridge has Potomac Mills and an overall better retail scene, IMO.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,013,697 times
For someone who grew up in PG County and lives in PWC now, it definitely has a bit of a 'country feel'. The pace is a little bit slower and people are much more friendlier than they are closer to the city. I think it also depends on the part you live in too. I don't think places like Gainesville feels southern, but Old Town Manassas has that very classic colonial Virginia feel to it, that makes you feel less like you are in NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia