Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 8,559 times

Advertisements

You need to go to South FL, Ft Lauderdale area, just what the doctor ordered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
OK I wasn't going to mention this since I don't want to sound like I'm whining but sinceYoAdrian mentioned the winters here seemed mild to him...Yesterday when I went outside, my eyeballs started hurting from the cold! Both of them, so I know I wasn't imagining it. It stopped after a minute but it was a bit freaky.So is that because I'm not used to the cold or does that happen to everyone?
Oh, no! I know what you're talking about. I'm more conditioned to it, having grown up in cold Michigan winters, but yeah, your system (including your eyes) will adjust.

It's usually not this cold out here ... the past few mornings have made me feel like I'm back in Michigan. I hear it's going to be back up into the 40s and possibly low 50s soon ... which I know isn't balmy for someone used to a warm climate, but at least it won't make your eyes hurt!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:30 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,039 times
YOU GUYS HAVE TO HEAR WHAT HAPPENED TO ME THIS MORNING! a 40-something Japanese woman "broke into" my apt at 5 in the morning!!! I say broke in but I'm 90% sure she had the key. She asked to use my bathroom and take a shower and left when I said no but it really freaked me out that she had just opened my door (she said it was unclocked but I don't think so). The whole thing was so bizarre and surreal!
The one good thing that happened because of it is that they are letting me out of my lease early so I don't have to pay for this place when I travel!

Can you guys please tell me about the palmetto bugs down south.

PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GROSS ME OUT WITH TOO MUCH DETAIL AND PLEASE DON'T POST PICTURES!!!!

just tell me if ...

1)they fly?
2) is it 100% certain that I will see them outside?
3) are they in new homes?
4) are they seasonal or year round?
5) are they in GA?
6) do they also have the small ones and palmettos in FL?
7) would having a house bug sprayed twice a year keep them away or not?

I can't believe I am arranging my life around bugs, but I truly am phobic about these and the potato bugs

Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
1) Yes. Noisily and clumsily.
2) No. Mostly inside.
3) Eventually.
4) Year round.
5) I have never seen one in GA. Have spent much less time there though.
6) Yes and yes. The palmetto trees are the more obvious of the two, though.
7) Can't hurt. But this is the species that will inherit the earth when we are done. There's only so much you can do...

Re cold eyes: Yes, that's a familiar tale. Your body does acclimate to the cold pretty quickly though. Trust in the tip above about the humidifier. They work wonders. You will actually feel warmer just because of the extra moisture in the air, and all your wood furniture will love you for it as well...

Old 12-19-2007, 06:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Palmetto bugs are just part of life in Florida. They are everywhere--it has very little to do with the age of a home or how clean a house may be. It's always summery, so bugs don't disappear in the winter. You get used to them.

That's wierd about someone stumbling into your room. I haven't heard of that happening before, but strange things can happen at hotels. I hope you got a new key card immediately.

Here's another thing I remember that freaked me out the first year (now I don't even notice it). When it gets cold, you will hear various parts of your house reacting to the temperature change. Everything shrinks a little in the cold, and then expands again in the heat. For example, if you buy a house with aluminum siding you hear a crinkly sound at a certain temperature. Freaked me out the first time I heard it! (But relax... it's normal.)

Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM

12 posts, read 33,277 times
I have lived in No.Va. and California - NoVa. winters are better than the humid summers there - enjoy the nice cool weather while you can.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:30 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
LOL...I saw 12-09 and thought this was a new thread...read the first 2 pages before I saw it was 2007!

I think it's fair to assume that the OP has either gotten used to it, or has succumb to sunlight deprivation by now!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
car54, according to the location tag, it looks like the OP solved their deprivation problem by moving to "always" sunny Southern California. Hopefully he's much happier now.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,090 times
Default Not a wise idea to go to Florida. (unless you are rich)

I have been here for the past year and my advise is stay .There are more opportunities here, people are friendlier and better lifestyle. The other plus is that living here you are in the heart of three states.MD,VA and DC.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:03 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Just so you know, DC isn't a state - LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia