Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:40 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,392,682 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in New York, lived in Florida and Germany, and now call Virginia home. I think as a whole Virginia has a lot going for it beyond the power player jobs and dimwits who work in the White House or on Capital Hill.

I live outside Charlottesville and wow it's a very pretty little town overloaded with yuppies, which is expected based on it's the home of UVA.

I didn't go to college but instead went the military route and learned a technical skill that I was able to transfer back into the civilian sector. Virginia has some amazing colleges and the education opportunities are good for those wanting to take the college route. I came up the old school way, learn a skill, serve your country, start a family, live a nice happy life.

I like Virginias history, scenic beauty, it's 4 seasons that seem mild compared to up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 10:43 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,494,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
There is a Gallup poll that came out this week, that has caused MD to get a majority of the local headlines for being one of the least desirable places in the country, according to the poll, but VA is more or less in the middle of the pack.

Check out the results:

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

In Virginia,

Desire to Move?
37% said they would like to move
62% said they would rather remain
1% has no opinion

Intent to Move?
5% Extremely/Very Likely
10% Somewhat Likely
84% Not too/Not at all Likely
15% Extremely/Very/Somewhat likely

What do you all think about these results? How much do you think they vary in NoVA versus the rest of VA?
Well at least there are jobs in Virginia. They don't pay much in Hampton Roads, but in Richmond and Northern Virginia you can do well. I would rather remain too; I mean I like my home state, culturally, but the wages are even lower than they are here, at least where I'm from they are. It really isn't fair; were Ohio to ever get their _ together I might seriously consider a move but it is such a mixed bag with severe extremes, whereas Virginia seems more even keel.

Last edited by goofy328; 05-11-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Florida wages seemed the worst compared to all the places I lived. But to stay on topic I do not plan on leaving Virginia anytime soon, if ever.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Florida wages seemed the worst compared to all the places I lived. But to stay on topic I do not plan on leaving Virginia anytime soon, if ever.
What part of Florida?

Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Ocala Florida, central

Old 05-11-2014, 11:10 AM

When you get away from NoVa/DC areas Virginia is a very breathtaking,gorgeous state to live.

It's like where I'm from in New York, Putnam/Northern Westchester area. Lots of lakes, and some quaint little towns compared to Southern Westchester/ NYC area which is so suburbia and dull not to mention the new NYC is so homogenized now it's nothing like back in the days of CBGB's and such. It's very bland and hipster.

New York has only one concern, Manhattan, and the state of New York is so much more then an island city just like Virginia is so much more then NoVa/DC.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
When you get away from NoVa/DC areas Virginia is a very breathtaking,gorgeous state to live.

It's like where I'm from in New York, Putnam/Northern Westchester area. Lots of lakes, and some quaint little towns compared to Southern Westchester/ NYC area which is so suburbia and dull not to mention the new NYC is so homogenized now it's nothing like back in the days of CBGB's and such. It's very bland and hipster.

New York has only one concern, Manhattan, and the state of New York is so much more then an island city just like Virginia is so much more then NoVa/DC.
Virginia really isn't that bad. It can be a slower pace at times, but there is so much BS you have to deal with up North it can be refreshing. You can't fully explain it to someone if they never been through it personally.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM

The slower pace is kinda nice at times. I'm not a NoVa/ DC hater, I think the area has some wonderful things to do with the museums and zoo, all of it relatively inexpensive to explore.

The younger just out of college crowd always jump into the cities because that's where most of the jobs are usually found. Us older folks have done all that high speed low drag stuff and now wish for a nicer simpler life.

I no longer think DC or NoVa for that matter is as big as a job creator as it once was due to all the budget cuts and such.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 PM

633 posts, read 1,016,719 times
Default We'be hit the Trifecta here in NOVA !!!

We've hit the trifecta!

1. Horrible traffic
2. Everything is expensive - houses, food, etc.
3. Bizarre weather!

Not desirable anymore... maybe 20 years ago...

Old 05-11-2014, 12:22 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
We've hit the trifecta!

1. Horrible traffic
2. Everything is expensive - houses, food, etc.
3. Bizarre weather!

Not desirable anymore... maybe 20 years ago...
Enjoy the low cost of living, absence of traffic, and predictable weather of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia