Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,319,770 times

Advertisements

California definitely has VA beat on weather but they have their own problems. I'm sure people who live on that coast complain plenty about things. Although there are quite possibly places I'd enjoy more than VA I think this is about as good as it gets for me on the east coast. Up north is too cold and south is too hot. And all the places that have good traffic generally have crappy job markets so it's a tradeoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,406,197 times
How desirable Virginia is and how desirable Northern Virginia is are two different questions.

Even though it's obviously a stressful lifestyle living here, maybe because I grew up here but I think the good outweighs the bad. No where is pefect. And honestly, I've always found the rest of Virginia to be kind of bland and boring.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,566,922 times
My ideal spot would be the Triangle region of NC (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill). Unfortunatetly though, for what I do for a living, the opportunities just aren't there to make me feel comfortable enough to go back. VA, specifically NoVa, gives us just enough of close to the same in terms of living lifestyle, plus the added employment security. VA, especially NoVa, is a melting pot of everything. We have those from NY, to Alabama, India, China, etc... If you like the diversity, then it's a great spot. I love living in Loudoun Co as well, but I was raised in a suburb setting in general, so it's more natural to me. It "fits" me. Urban, does not "fit" me. But that's not to say that if your preference is more urban than suburban, then you can likely scratch that itch here too.

Many folks (including me) tend to forget that this is Washington, DC in general. With my life consisting mostly between the suburbs of Loudoun County and Tysons Corner, I tend to forget about all of the fantastic elements of DC in general. I have to remind myself that "DC is just 30 miles down that road". Georgtown, all of the museums, the national history current dialog, one of the places impacted directly by 9/11, all of the bums of Congress, all just 30 miles down that road. Why do I forget about it so easily? Because I'm having too much fun enjoying what the suburbs have to offer in general. Flying remote controlled airplanes with my son on the weekend. Washing the car, mowing the lawn, drolling over the 70' TVs at Costco, pizza night in the back yard with a dozen of the neighborhood kids while they play with our kids, the beautiful scenery of the rolling hills, the fun of having a sports car on some of those roads, windows open with the birds chirping without the sounds of constant traffic, ect. The ability to be on the outer banks in 5 hours, or skiing to the west in 4 hours via West Virginia (which is stunning with it's beauty too).

VA and NC are what I call "halfback country". What I mean by that, is that folks who retire out of the north and flock to FL, tend to realize that June-August is brutal in FL, and November just doesn't look right to them, so they come back halfway. After living on the NC coast for many many years in my 20's, I found this to be very true. Several folks from NJ/NY who went to Del Boca Vista Phase II initially, only to melt in the raging heat and humidity, find the right balance along the coast of NC/VA/MD

It is a good life around here. And when you factor in the fact that the area's main employer has over 316,000,000 "customers" to manage and serve, and growing at a net average of approximately 6,000 per day, it's about as close to an employment insurance policy as you can get. Economy goes in the tank, DC gets busy. Economy goes through the roof, DC gets busy. DC is like Wall Street, love it or hate it, the US needs both to operate.

We had the opportunity (and likely still do) to go to CA, specifically Newport Beach. I've spent quite a bit of time out there over the years. While I will say that it is beautiful, it's just not my cup of tea.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:23 PM

633 posts, read 1,014,218 times
Default Not going there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Enjoy the low cost of living, absence of traffic, and predictable weather of California.
Geez! Leaving4CA was my name when I first found Citydata... Hubby turned the job in Sacramento down, Thank goodness...

We're powering down to a lower speed and heading to Florida next year, hopefully... not retirement, but quality of life adjustment.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:57 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,321,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Geez! Leaving4CA was my name when I first found Citydata... Hubby turned the job in Sacramento down, Thank goodness...

We're powering down to a lower speed and heading to Florida next year, hopefully... not retirement, but quality of life adjustment.
Much better life quality

Florida Man! My favorite today, Florida man robs Subway restaurant after being upset at cookie prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia