Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 10:01 PM

35 posts, read 55,917 times

Advertisements

Girlfriend is working in Tysons Corner right under Rt 123 and Rt 7 (Leesburg Pike) and I will be working either in College Park at UMD, West Falls Church area right where Rt 50 and 495 meet, or near Washington Circle Park and on Pennsylvannia Ave NW in DC.

Could you recommend areas to live in with preferably a reverse commute if possible?

Information:
- 2 recent college graduates, serious commitment
- both come from Columbia/Ellicott City, MD area which is very safe and would like to have similar safeness; safe as in we can walk together on a street together at night (probably 2AM latest from night life activities)
- somewhat importance on nightlife, but more so towards exploring foods and bars; we got most of our 'partying' out in college
- would like the area to be 20-30 years old demographic; understand/don't care if it isn't
- looking for an apartment complex with parking garage if available
- live in either studio or 1 bedroom, budget probably $1000-$2000
- looking to commute hour max (if possible)

I've read that Arlington to Tysons isn't a bad commute. As Maryland natives, we know the 495 traffic.

Interested in areas:
Bethesda, Silver Spring, Mclean, Vienna, Tysons corner, Falls Church, Arlington, Fairfax, Annandale.
Don't know know what VA is like so area information in VA would be helpful. We've been to Bethesda, Silver spring, potomac and DC areas.
I know it's a big area but any input for any area would be helpful.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 12:40 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,466,495 times
My daughter's boyfriend just moved into Avalon in the Mossaic District. Beautfiul, brand new, parking garage, w/d in unit and bit of a hike but walkable to Dunn Loring Metro. Easy drive to Tysons. I don't know the specifics but I think the rent is around $1700. There is a Target and restaurants/shops business district.

I think (but can't say for certain) it tends to be in the mid 20s-early 30s demographic.

There's also quite a few threads on here about the Arlington, Ballston areas which are popular with the just out of college crowd.

Best of luck!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:22 PM

35 posts, read 55,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
My daughter's boyfriend just moved into Avalon in the Mossaic District. Beautfiul, brand new, parking garage, w/d in unit and bit of a hike but walkable to Dunn Loring Metro. Easy drive to Tysons. I don't know the specifics but I think the rent is around $1700. There is a Target and restaurants/shops business district.

I think (but can't say for certain) it tends to be in the mid 20s-early 30s demographic.

There's also quite a few threads on here about the Arlington, Ballston areas which are popular with the just out of college crowd.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for the input! I will def look into that area. We are looking for a nice apt complex as well.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,197,675 times
Generally speaking, Falls Church would be fairly centralized for both of you, notwithstanding the potential College Park commute. You'd be close enough to the twentysomething social mecca that is Clarendon-Ballston corridor of Arlington to be able patronize their establishments on the weekdays.

Falls Church itself is fine, if with a broader age mix of singles and families. If you can find a place on or near West Broad Street/Route 7, you'll be in the heart of town with decent retail and restaurant options. The State Theatre can be an interesting place to catch some shows. You should be able to find apartments in your range towards the upper end of your budget.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,938 times
You could always do what me and the wife do and live in the eye of the hurricane of traffic here in Tysons. Always seems like I am reverse commuting since I already start here. Nightlife around town is in its infancy, though restaurants there are a bunch of. Mostly not a walkable area other than north Tysons, but very safe, and a quick drive (soon to be metro ride) everywhere.

Sounds to me like Mosaic or East Falls Church might be more what you are looking for though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia