Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 PM

50 posts, read 66,670 times

Advertisements

Looking at the prices of apartments in ANY part of NOVA (looking particularly at Springfield) is a shock to say in the least!! I'm moving to VA in 3 weeks. I currently live in Memphis, TN and I have a 2 bedroom apartment in downtown Memphis overlooking the MS river and is right in the middle of shops, restaurants, on the trolley line, and walking distance to nightlife activities and my rent is 1400/mo for hardwood floors, granite, all upgrades and 1200sq feet!!!! I can barely find a 1 bedroom in VA for that price!!! Are the jobs paying well enough to afford VA living? (in the healthcare field) Good thing I'm moving with family for a while first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
These things are relative. People hear about the higher pay around here and go, "OH BOY!".

But in most cases, they would be better (or no worse) off if they just stayed where they are.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,485 times
what is your MAX comfort range for rent, not including any utilities?

where do you intend to commute to?

how may bedrooms and baths do you desire?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
Jobs will pay much better here than in Memphis. Really not a pay increase though after accounting for the cost of living.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:33 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
That's why I do think it's a good thing that you are staying with family. Like I was saying in the other thread, it's going to be great for you to look at prices in different areas to see what is practical. You may have to look in a place like Prince William County/Manassas which is not as expensive as the rest of NoVA but it's not as isolated as Stafford is. I think we are all curious where did you see a 1 BR apartment that you thought was too expensive? That will give us a better idea of what to suggest to you.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:50 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Yes, one would think at first glance that the DC suburbs would be less expensive, especially looking in areas like Fredericksburg or even Springfield per your previous thread. But with many job centers (especially Tysons Corner and the Dulles Tech Corridor) being located far from the city core - not to mention DC proper's relatively small imprint - the cost of housing can remain high for a much larger swath of VA than one might initially expect.

Most all households have to adjust their housing expectations when moving here, not to mention a single person. In my layperson's opinion, a nurse (per your prior OP) should be able to at least "tread water" with a pay bump from Memphis but would have to budget a bigger % towards their rent to live in a vibrant area with upscale amenities. Note, for example, that the average household income in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties is well above $100K - and I believe other nearby VA cities/counties are within ~$10K of that - so people in specialized/high-demand jobs are definitely being paid well. It may turn out that putting in a few years with a NOVA-based hospital/healthcare facility will provide enough of a boost to your resume' that you can consider somewhere else (like Richmond per your prior thread) where salary offers would be such that your net standard of living would improve over NOVA let alone Memphis.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 AM

50 posts, read 66,670 times
I'm thinking it was in Alexandra and it was like 1800. That wasn't the average but I was like WOW!!! I understand that things will be more expensive than in Memphis. I've googled the average pay for my job here (I know that isn't accurate) but it was like 20,000 cheaper than what I'm making now. Money isn't everything but it is needed to survive. I'm not questioning my move. I'm actually very excited to have a change of scenery and meet new people. I have a lot of time to research all areas as my aunt has a huge home with a lot of extra space and there is no time limit for me to move out. But finding things to do in Spotyslvania may be challenging. I appreciate all of the input from everyone. I'm getting advice on counties I haven't heard of and it gives me a chance to research those locations also. You guys are great. I hope most NOVA people are like you guys!!!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Where will you be working? Is it Alexandria or Springfield or...?

Spotsylvania would be quite a trek to Alexandria and commuting costs would add up.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
You can definitely find places cheaper than 1800 in that area, but it depends on what you want. Another thing I want to throw out there at you is some people starting out in the area get roommates. How open are you to that? Places like Alexandria and Arlington have a lot of young professionals who split housing cost just to live in places that have great amenities. If you are okay with paying $1000+/month sharing (possibly cheaper) and $1300+/month on your own, then you could probably live closer to DC in a place like Alexandria or Arlington. For a single woman, those places are probably the best to look at in NoVA, but if you are just absolutely not trying to pay that amount, then moving further out might have to be in play. I'm just trying to get your wheels turning and thinking about the options you have. It's definitely not easy living in an area this expensive, but it's a great place to live.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
If you get a roommate you can probably stay within your $1,400 budget in most parts of Nova. The vast majority of people in this area have roommates, be it a wife, girlfriend, or just regular roommate. And yes, the salaries here are much higher than in Tennessee. Nice screenname
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia