Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:08 PM

177 posts, read 278,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It is dated inside but agree with others that it appears to be well maintained. So while the style may not be up to snuff it is move-in ready and you can work on the other stuff over time.

What you cannot change is that you have to climb at least 15 steps from your car to the front door. Lugging groceries or anything heavy up that many stairs will get old quickly.

I would not consider purchasing this home because of the lot. I'm not a fan of homes that sit on a steep slope like someone else mentioned. I prefer a relatively level lot.

OP, I'm simply curious as to why you are looking for your forever home in a good school district but you're not yet married or have children? Wouldn't your future bride have some input in the home you buy for your future family?

(In a past thread, I asked about your spouse and their commute, and you responded that you do not have a spouse)
I am by myself, and I would like to buy one house during current low interest rate, and I like to have my own house too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:58 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,739,644 times
Curb appeal is blah. Lot is huge and well manicured. Interior is dated but not truly hideous. Seems like kind of a lot to ask for a house way outside the Beltway that's in need of updating. You could get something in Annandale or Baileys Xroads for that.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:05 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Curb appeal is blah. Lot is huge and well manicured. Interior is dated but not truly hideous. Seems like kind of a lot to ask for a house way outside the Beltway that's in need of updating. You could get something in Annandale or Baileys Xroads for that.
Clarification, I assume you mean building lot appeal (to which I would agree in that its a rambler, and I've never understood the love of ramblers) but I am assuming you don't think that about the grounds themselves. I mean it could use some edge definition to the walkway, but man that is a hell of a grounds in the backyard.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:34 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,739,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Clarification, I assume you mean building lot appeal (to which I would agree in that its a rambler, and I've never understood the love of ramblers) but I am assuming you don't think that about the grounds themselves. I mean it could use some edge definition to the walkway, but man that is a hell of a grounds in the backyard.
I mean the general impression I get on first glance, from the street. Not horribly ugly, but not charming. (I'm no huge fan of ramblers, either, but there are some that I find OK to look at--especially white-painted brick, for some reason.) Love the backyard.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,787,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
As the bird flies, I don't think this particular house is even more than a mile from the Beltway. And, by driving, you could probably be on the Beltway in less than 10 minutes. Maybe that meets your definition of being way outside the Beltway, but it surely doesn't meet mine.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:33 PM

6,571 posts, read 8,426,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmssm View Post
I am by myself, and I would like to buy one house during current low interest rate, and I like to have my own house too.
Got it.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:51 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
As the bird flies, I don't think this particular house is even more than a mile from the Beltway. And, by driving, you could probably be on the Beltway in less than 10 minutes. Maybe that meets your definition of being way outside the Beltway, but it surely doesn't meet mine.
Yea I'd have to agree, from this part of springfield you can be on 95 or the beltway pretty quick. It fits well for military folks for that reason (quantico/pentagon easy access) or anyone who works in NOMA frankly.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:14 PM

671 posts, read 1,120,928 times
If the lower level of a split level is basement level it won't show in the sq footage listed so it is hard to calculate/compare price per sq ft.

I would want to see how the family entrance works. That front entry is a deal breaker for me. I have a split foyer townhouse and I hate carrying groceries up then down to the kitchen. Lovely family room off the kitchen and a bargain price for that area.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 PM

270 posts, read 909,952 times
That house is a split-foyer, which are always harder to sell than split-levels or colonials. The older suburbs in NOVA have a lot of these, but I hate them. The entry is just a landing. It's not on either floor. The configuration causes a lot of challenges.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 PM

177 posts, read 278,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Got it.
Even if I am by myself, but once buy it, it is not easy to sell and buy another one in a few years. So I really need to consider schools nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: