Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM

50 posts, read 66,670 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am relocating to Spottyslvania with family from Memphis, TN. I am very new to the city (only been to visit twice). I've noticed Spottyslvania and Fredericksburg is more for already established families. Was wondering what area would be nice for a single female to explore. My plan is to live with family for at least 6 months until I find an area that interest me. Can anyone give any input on Stafford or Springfield? (These are a couple cities my aunt suggested) Also I am a LPN with nurse management experience. Any suggestions on which area has the best jobs for a LPN? I've also had a taste of the traffic there!! So I would like to live and work in the same area. All suggestions and responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 AM

199 posts, read 334,070 times
I'm not familiar with the healthcare industry, but if you're using Spotsy as your launching pad, I'd focus the search in

Fredericksburg: I know you had kind of written it off, but it does have a few hospitals in the area and a nice little downtown area with some nightlife (although obviously it won't compare to Memphis). Obviously the closest to where you'll be moving.
Northern Virginia/DC: This covers a huge amount of ground. Springfield, Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington etc. Lots of hospitals in the region, but cost of living is high and traffic is bad. On the flip side, if you're close to DC you're close to good nightlife and the singles scene. If you do go this route, you will DEFINITELY need to move, since you'll hate your life trying to commute from Spotsy to NoVA/DC.
Richmond: Has a few hospital systems (VCU/MCV, Bon Secours etc.), decent sized city with much lower cost of living than DC, and a decent nightlife in Shockoe Bottom/the Fan etc.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
In your shoes, I'd look into Richmond.

Fredericksburg City isn't terrible for singles but the surrounding suburbs are mostly family territory. DC and Arlington/Alexandria do have a fun "scene" but are terribly pricey and trafficky.

How far from your family are you interested in being?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Stafford is nice but it's more of a "family town". Lots of families and 90% of the people who live there commute north.

I would look into Fredericksburg. You could work there and also meet a lot of single people.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSexCNurse View Post
Hello. I am relocating to Spottyslvania with family from Memphis, TN. I am very new to the city (only been to visit twice). I've noticed Spottyslvania and Fredericksburg is more for already established families. Was wondering what area would be nice for a single female to explore. My plan is to live with family for at least 6 months until I find an area that interest me. Can anyone give any input on Stafford or Springfield? (These are a couple cities my aunt suggested) Also I am a LPN with nurse management experience. Any suggestions on which area has the best jobs for a LPN? I've also had a taste of the traffic there!! So I would like to live and work in the same area. All suggestions and responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Two very different areas. For you being a single woman, I think you should look more into a place like Springfield than Stafford. Living in Stafford will leave you feeling isolated depending on your lifestyle since there aren't a lot of places close by that you can go out to. At least with Springfield, you will be near a metro station and can go all over the region. My suggestion is when you get here, pay attention to where the jobs are in your field (sorry can't help much there) and also pay attention to the price to live in these places. The price to live in these areas may make you reconsider your options.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone. These are some very great suggestions. Being near my family isn't a priority. I've visited Springfield and used the metro to go to DC and I liked the area. Fredericksburg was nice also but was very small (either that or I didn't see the whole thing). I'm not much of a club type person but I do like to go to sports bars and have a drink here or there and watch football (Go Titans LOL). Does anyone favor one area over the other? I haven't set a budget yet. I haven't even found a job yet lol. But I have searched and there are hundreds of jobs in my field in the northern Virginia area. I know I'm backwards but I would really like to find the area I will be most comfortable in then search for a job in that area.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. These are some very great suggestions. Being near my family isn't a priority. I've visited Springfield and used the metro to go to DC and I liked the area. Fredericksburg was nice also but was very small (either that or I didn't see the whole thing). I'm not much of a club type person but I do like to go to sports bars and have a drink here or there and watch football (Go Titans LOL). Does anyone favor one area over the other? I haven't set a budget yet. I haven't even found a job yet lol. But I have searched and there are hundreds of jobs in my field in the northern Virginia area. I know I'm backwards but I would really like to find the area I will be most comfortable in then search for a job in that area.
If I had to choose I would definitely go for Springfield over Stafford/Fredericksburg. I used to live in Stafford, I liked it but like another poster said you do feel a bit isolated so I ended up moving further north to be closer to my job and cut down on my commute.

I'm pretty young so from that perspective Springfield is a good location since a lot of my friends live in Arlington/Springfield/Fairfax. Fredericksburg and Stafford are definitely more family oriented locations but there's also some young singles there but probably not as much as Springfield and Springfield offers more to do and easy metro access.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:45 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
I would suggest you take a look at the Mosiac district. Very close to Fairfax Hospital and apartments located within walking distance of Dunn-Loring metro stop.

Mosaic | About | A LEED Silver Certified DC Urban Community

Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Go Titans!!! Two-Tone Blue! LOL!!

If you aren't the club type then Springfield, Burke, Fairfax and Centreville are some great places to start researching. Those places are nice laid back places with nice places to go out to dinner every once and a while and still close enough to public transportation.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I would suggest you take a look at the Mosiac district. Very close to Fairfax Hospital and apartments located within walking distance of Dunn-Loring metro stop.

Mosaic | About | A LEED Silver Certified DC Urban Community
Modiac district? Thanks. This is something new. I haven't heard of this one before. I will definitely check into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia