Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieplangdu View Post
The haves probably saved or at least held off the have-nots from being priced out of Arlington County. Speaking as a have not who lives off the Pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:59 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,123,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The haves probably saved or at least held off the have-nots from being priced out of Arlington County. Speaking as a have not who lives off the Pike.
Perhaps, but realistically these articles (and the Post has run two about the purported North/South Arlington "divide" in the last week or so) are not really about the tremendous hardship that South Arlington residents will face without a streetcar running down Columbia Pike. They are more about confronting North Arlington residents with the fact that their neighborhoods are getting wealthier and whiter, while most high-income areas in the region are becoming more diverse, to see how they'll react.

Last edited by JD984; 11-24-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 PM

496 posts, read 1,197,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Uh--no.
uh-yes. The districts in and around Columbia pike voted for the streetcar (Howse)! YIMBY (yes in my backyard).

Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,762,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
uh-yes. The districts in and around Columbia pike voted for the streetcar (Howse)! YIMBY (yes in my backyard).
Read what I posted in post no. 17 above. The sweeping generalizations in that article (e.g., N. Arl is all wealthy, S. Arl is mostly poor, the streetcar would have somehow preserved affordable housing, all of S. Arlington was for the streetcar, all of N. Arlington was against it, and affluent people won't ride buses) are completely wrong.

It's your right to support the streetcar if that's your view, but at least choose reasons that are based in reality--e.g., you would like Columbia Pike to look more like Clarendon.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:38 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,549,022 times
I think people are making a mistake of equating streetcars with Metro. Streetcars will lead to some development, but it's nothing like Metro. H Street & Benning Road NE DC looks nothing like a gentrified fairyland and young 20 something-year-olds aren't dying to live on H Street.

Tempers remain frayed over Arlington streetcar abandonment - The Washington Post

With the opening of the HOT lanes, I started to ponder the county's "transportation plan." We all know they won't support widening 66 and they hate HOT lanes because they support "multimodal transportation that emphasizes transit-oriented development" (not that I'm enamored with HOT lanes either). Then, when they have a chance to do that, they back down because they don't have the political backbone. So basically their version of multi-modal transportation are the cute little green buses?

And, on a side note, I hate how the local government is set up. Seems like "everyone" is represented so in actuality no one is represented.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:04 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,718,013 times
There are a lot of people on here who seem to be against the streetcar, but have offered nothing in terms of an alternative, just like Vihstadt and Garvey.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:09 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,515,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
There are a lot of people on here who seem to be against the streetcar, but have offered nothing in terms of an alternative, just like Vihstadt and Garvey.
I am neither for nor against the street car. Actually I would have to admit I am a little bit more for it than against it. But I lived close to Columbia Pike in the late 80's and there are so many buses that go up and down to and from the Pentagon I am not sure what a street car would accomplish. I know this is still the case because I frequently get caught behind 3 buses at a time. Also buses have the advantage of being able to modify routes rather quickly.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:57 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,549,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am neither for nor against the street car. Actually I would have to admit I am a little bit more for it than against it. But I lived close to Columbia Pike in the late 80's and there are so many buses that go up and down to and from the Pentagon I am not sure what a street car would accomplish. I know this is still the case because I frequently get caught behind 3 buses at a time. Also buses have the advantage of being able to modify routes rather quickly.
The advantages of a streetcar are that they have more capacity and will lead to more redevelopment than articulated buses will.

Also, Columbia Pike as it's currently built can't even handle articulated buses .

Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 AM

15,475 posts, read 25,944,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Metro is the best alternative. Sure wish they would build a new line that way.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 AM

61 posts, read 67,428 times
they should rename this thread A Streetcar Named Undesirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia