Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times

Advertisements

I live in Colorado and the temperatures of the last few weeks are ranging from 20s to 50s. I have a 2 stage heat pump, the coils inside the furnace are working (expensively), but the outside unit isn't turning on at all, no matter what the temperature is.

We have a Honeywell thermostat, which allows for a few different setups, and I've tried them all, but still no luck. Our house is staying at about 70 degrees, but it's going to be stupid expensive.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 PM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Wrong forum.....please post in the House or Colorado sub-forums.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:28 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,102,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McScots View Post
I live in Colorado and the temperatures of the last few weeks are ranging from 20s to 50s. I have a 2 stage heat pump, the coils inside the furnace are working (expensively), but the outside unit isn't turning on at all, no matter what the temperature is.

We have a Honeywell thermostat, which allows for a few different setups, and I've tried them all, but still no luck. Our house is staying at about 70 degrees, but it's going to be stupid expensive.

Any suggestions?
That's one fault of heat pumps trying to work in cold weather below 20 degrees; one must use the additional heating strips that use a lot more electricity. Most recent heat pumps can still work efficiently down to 20degrees (with some humidity in the air).

I had a renter that didn't know the difference and the heating bill was triple. Options include using extra clothes, space heater for only the room you're in, adding a humidifier since winter 50% feels a lot warmer than 20% (and its healthier). I'm surprised that anywhere in Colorado has installed a heat pump; that's too cold of a region to efficiently use heat pumps. Natural gas furnaces are great today but will cost at least $4k and are not an option where gas lines don't exist.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:33 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,599,248 times
Quote:
I have a 2 stage heat pump, the coils inside the furnace are working (expensively), but the outside unit isn't turning on at all, no matter what the temperature is.
A 2 stage heat pump has been on market since 2005. The primary difference between the two is the type of compressor they use. With a single stage, the compressor runs only at full load capacity, meaning once the temperature is satisfied, the compressor turns off, causing noticeable swings in room temperatures. On the other hand, the two-stage compressor can operate at part load or full load capacity. When cooling is needed, the two-stage heat pump compressor turns on, but when stage two of the thermostat is satisfied, the compressor continues to run at a lower level, stage one. This allows tenants to enjoy a more even room temperature.

It sounds like what you are describing is a heat pump with back-up coil. My question echoes the previous comments that Colorado sounds like a poor place for such a system. I must assume you are a renter, and the owner pushed off expense in installing a system onto the tenant's operational budget. If so was he upfront with you about the costs of this rental? You can obtain the charges from the electric company from the previous tenant, and pursue a reduction in rent if your landlord wasn't honest.

But as I understand it there is a temperature that you can changewhere the backup system automatically goes into affect. There is also a differential (usually three degrees). If you ask for 70 degrees and the house is at 67 or lower the backup kicks in.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:18 PM

For a thermostat that was installed on my heat pump in 2006, the setting to emergency heat (to use the additional heat strips) is a separate switch. When sliding this switch over, a dollar sign lights up and a user is basically "acknowledging" that the heart bill will skyrocket. These heat strips are basically additional 25watt heater coils that turn on to physically heat the air like a natural gas furnace. However, electricity prices are much higher these days than natural gas.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 13,760 times
I'm looking at replacing my current HVAC system. I live in the high priced electric (TVA) state of TN. There is no natural gas where we live as far as I know. There is propane but based on my searching this is not a valid or good choice.

My current system has a compressor for AC outside the home with the coils above the blower inside. The heat is supplied by "strip" heat inside home below the blower. I will have 3 quotes and so far have 2.

Company A
quote has 4 options all split systems. 3 RUDD (14/8.5, 15/8.5, 16/9.0), York 15.0/9.0) all 4 ton (48,000 BTU).

Company B
quote for a packaged system Trane XL14c 14 SEER 8.5 HSPF.

I'm looking for consumer reviews/complaints about these manufacturers/systems. I have not found anything good about Trane. I have requested quotes from company A for packaged systems to compare the 1 Trane quote.

It's exhausting finding so many websites pertaining to heat pumps and HAVC.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2015, 04:50 PM

Are you comparing value? Reliability? Ratings? Are you planning on only going with the best rated by consumers? There are some good hvac websites that will more likely ratings than folks on here with a specific system.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 PM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
This isn't NoVa related - and should be moved to the House sub-forum.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:14 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,980,071 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
This happened to mine before. Most likely the switching relay burned out so the unit is not getting the signal to turn on.

It is a $30 part if you know where to look (it's not hard) and take it to HVAC parts store to get a new one. If not, call the HVAC guy and pay $200. At least you'll get your heat turn back on. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia