Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:17 PM

19 posts, read 26,345 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm looking at a space for lease on Jeff Davis hwy across from Target, panera, red robin area. "Cosner Corner" Planning to start a dental office.

I like the space because it has a good visibility, and many shops/businesses around. High traffic area as well.

I live in Richmond thats why i dont have a lot of info about this area, and always wanted to be close to nova/dc

can anyone provide any info about this area, whats the level of schools in that area, how is it like living there? is this area safe?

anyone know why the Koko fit across from target shut down? anyone know why other businesses in that strip shut down previously? although ones across st are doing well?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 05:18 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
I probably can't answer your questions but I want to give you some thoughts of mine.

First, check into that area and find out how many dentists there are per person. I was just having a conversation with my dentist (well established) because my daughter is now working for an orthodontist. She was telling me that Prince William County has 1 dentist for every 400 people in the county and it has been VERY hard for new dentists to establish a practice. So you need to find that sort of information out for Spotsylvania.

After that, I know it's REALLY psychological in my part, but I really do not want to go to a dentist located in a strip mall. It just screams "bad dentist" to me. I know that is totally my issue and, rationally, I know it's NOT true, but I can't help it.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I probably can't answer your questions but I want to give you some thoughts of mine.

First, check into that area and find out how many dentists there are per person. I was just having a conversation with my dentist (well established) because my daughter is now working for an orthodontist. She was telling me that Prince William County has 1 dentist for every 400 people in the county and it has been VERY hard for new dentists to establish a practice. So you need to find that sort of information out for Spotsylvania.

After that, I know it's REALLY psychological in my part, but I really do not want to go to a dentist located in a strip mall. It just screams "bad dentist" to me. I know that is totally my issue and, rationally, I know it's NOT true, but I can't help it.

Christine these are great points. I roughly looked at the stats for Fredericksburg area and they are favorable, compared to fairfax or arlington.

How do you like Spotsylvania area? Is it friendly?

Why do you prefer a dentist in a medical building rather than a strip mall? There are many excellent dentists in strip malls. In my opinion, having an office in a strip mall with high visibility is a good marketing strategy.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:04 PM

633 posts, read 1,016,802 times
Actually I agree that a strip mall is not your best bet for a location. Strip malls are for chain dental practices and for the dentists who primarily treat low income people and typically do not provide quality work.

Maybe a strip mall in Short Pump, but I don't think in Spotsylvania. I have reasons for my comments but I am not naming dentists here on citydata. Suggest finding a person who specializes in marketing for dentists to help you with a study in Spotsylvania. There are people to help you - look at the vendors at your next convention.

What about downtown Fredericksburg? What about buying an existing practice from a retiring dentist?

Old 11-29-2014, 12:20 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y330 View Post
Christine these are great points. I roughly looked at the stats for Fredericksburg area and they are favorable, compared to fairfax or arlington.

How do you like Spotsylvania area? Is it friendly?

Why do you prefer a dentist in a medical building rather than a strip mall? There are many excellent dentists in strip malls. In my opinion, having an office in a strip mall with high visibility is a good marketing strategy.

y330,

I've not really spent any time in Spotsylvania so I can't answer on that. I've only heard good things, though.

I can't tell you why I prefer a dentist in a "medical" setting over a strip mall. As I said, it's purely perception and I may be way off base. It's just how I feel. It's almost like I can't take them seriously.

I agree that having a dentist that's out there in front of a lot of foot traffic at least lets you be seen, but remember that you are going to get resistance from people that have my mindset and I don't think I'm in a minority on feeling that way.

Personally, I think you should take the other poster's advice about getting a person to market for you. Additionally, in order to attract new patients, offer to discount or comp some services on new patients so they can get to know you. A lot of people have no dental insurance or insurance that doesn't pay very well and they would probably want to give you a try for some cheaper services to start.

Find a location that seems reputable and has good parking. People are really quite funny about who is touching their teeth and if they feel you are some shopping center dentist that could be a detriment.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:33 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,034,821 times
We won a business in Spotsy....figure in taxes! They tax your gross receipts!

Spotsy is as friendly as anyplace, and as safe as anywhere else in the region. There are "good" and "bad" areas everywhere. Schools are pretty good in the entire Fredericksburg area.

I, too, would look for areas outside of a "strip" shopping area....folks don't just "drop in" on a dentist!! It's not like popping into a random 7-11! Word of mouth (no pun intended) is your best advertising!

Old 11-29-2014, 03:04 PM

These are all great advices. I understand the point that many people dont like going to a dental office at strip malls and that there are many chain/corporate offices.

On the other hand dont judge a book by its cover. My plan is to wow my patients, by the office design and the care and quality i can provide. Coporate offices dont do that. As well as word of mouth and referrals.

Aside from that, my questions in this thread were mainly about the Spotsylvania area, what are the bad areas that should be avoided. Which areas are nice to live at. What is the price range of houses in Jeff davis area?

Thanks hope you guys enjoying your weekend.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Bump

Old 12-09-2014, 10:32 AM

61 posts, read 67,344 times
I would prefer a strip-mall office vs. a medical building complete with sick people coughing all over the place. Especially if there is ample, safe parking, and some good natural light in the office. The medical building might require fewer modifications to use, though.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y330 View Post
My plan is to wow my patients, by the office design and the care and quality i can provide. Coporate offices dont do that.
I would NEVER, EVER pick a dentist based on the office design. Never. Ever. It's interesting that you listed that before mentioning "care" and "quality".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia