Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,496 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

First of, I did try to read through the numerous posts regarding the same situation but I was not able to find the answer I was looking for.

My situation: Husband has a new job in McLean near Tysons corner. We have a 5 year old who would be starting Kinder in 2015. Husband would be making around $75-80k. I don't have a job at this point of time and we have one car only.

Preference: Affordable renting- would like to keep the rent+ utilities under $1700. 2 bedroom + 1 bath. Commute time less than 30 mins. Good public schools.

Is this even possible?? We are currently looking at apartments near Herndon and Reston. But we are not sure about the peak hour commute time. How much would we have to pay for using the toll road? Would the cost of toll offset the difference in rent if we rent an apartment closer to Tyson?

Are there any other cost involved- heard that we have pay property tax if we own a car...

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 05:38 AM

658 posts, read 725,948 times
I recommend you rent in Falls Church and commute to McLean near Tysons corner. It is not too far and the rate can be very affordable. You can get a list of the renting areas in ... realtors.com, better yet Craigslist has a huge list of renting places in Falls Church, VA. Zip code 22042 is one of the closest ones. There are falls church high school, and elementary which is not BAD at all.

Yes, you have to pay taxes every year for owning a car. You have to do state inspection on safety and emission. Safety must be done every year, emission can be done every two year as an option or default to annually.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-02-2014 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Can only reference generic MLS sites per Terms of Service.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,356,584 times
Look at falls church like the OP above said. Good schools, a good commute, in your budget..... Can't get any better than that.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 AM

72 posts, read 185,387 times
Another closer zip code is 22043 in Falls Church. The Silver Line goes out to Reston and is not a bad commute to Tysons/McLean.

Last edited by 05c6400; 12-02-2014 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Adding info

Old 12-02-2014, 09:20 AM

113 posts, read 132,766 times
The general rule for NoVa is: The farther west you go from DC, the cheaper the rent. If you wouldn't mind a somewhat longer commute, I'd say rent is cheaper in Centreville. Fairfax--outside the beltway and west of Falls Church--would also be a good option.

But if money is not an issue, then by all means, live as close to your job as you can. (That's another rule for this area, by the way.)

Old 12-02-2014, 09:40 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,307,324 times
Another option is Sterling, VA. It is about 10 miles from tysons corner. in the morning, it takes about half an hour to reach the heart of tysons (i did that for 6 years). It's about 17 minutes without traffic.
Sterling is a safe area, with good schools, and close to EVERYTHING! a mall is also there, along with walmart, target, costco, bestbuy, giant, shoppers, restaurants, etc. etc.

Look into it!

Old 12-02-2014, 10:14 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Another option is Sterling, VA. It is about 10 miles from tysons corner. in the morning, it takes about half an hour to reach the heart of tysons (i did that for 6 years). It's about 17 minutes without traffic.
Sterling is a safe area, with good schools, and close to EVERYTHING! a mall is also there, along with walmart, target, costco, bestbuy, giant, shoppers, restaurants, etc. etc.

Look into it!
Half an hour to Tysons, if you take a toll road, which will cost you almost 10 dollars per day (if the toll increases happen as assumed). For someone who is trying to save money, that extra 300 bucks in gas + toll might be a non starter, same with Reston btw.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:40 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,307,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Half an hour to Tysons, if you take a toll road, which will cost you almost 10 dollars per day (if the toll increases happen as assumed). For someone who is trying to save money, that extra 300 bucks in gas + toll might be a non starter, same with Reston btw.
Not true. it's 30 minutes via rt 7 (no toll)....direct shot from sterling to tysons corner. I did it for 6 years every day.
Yes, it's possible to be stuck in traffic if there's an accident, but that goes for almost any place.

Anyway, i'm just saying it's an option to consider.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:47 AM

5 posts, read 5,496 times
Thank you all for your valuable inputs!

Looks like the toll would be one of the factor to consider. We would start looking at Falls Church as suggested. After looking at various apartments online yesterday, we did short list a few in Herndon.

As someone had said we cannot have it all- less commute time, affordable living in nova ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia