Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:24 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Now I know you are trolling. I pay someone to do that for me.
I guess it takes one...

Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,484,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
I guess it takes one...
Actually it is three, but they all work for the same service.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,411 times
A lot of "traditional" duties of the household are now outsourced as people would rather spend the money than do it themselves, but I will give you not being able to start a lawnmower is pretty lame.

It's a two way street though...how many women under the age of 35 can hem a pair of pants?

Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Just so people do not think I am a wimp I would like to point out that I hold a Muave Belt in Rex Kwan Do and all of my cars have auto adjusting standard transmissions.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
A lot of "traditional" duties of the household are now outsourced as people would rather spend the money than do it themselves, but I will give you not being able to start a lawnmower is pretty lame.

It's a two way street though...how many women under the age of 35 can hem a pair of pants?
I bet lovnova is a hemmer.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Sorry you are having a bad day. Please take it somewhere else now.
Apparently, the bad day is yours and yours alone. Happily, I can comment in any thread I'd like to.

Admit it, you love this attention. (Mother didn't care much for you?) Why else start a ridiculous thread like this?

Old 12-10-2014, 02:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Seriously, I agree with OP. Men are pretty soft (if not physically weak) these days. And even if they are physically fit from the gym and the treadmill, they don't know how to do anything except pick up a phone to get help.

My neighbor asked me if I had a drill because he wanted to hang some pictures. I handed him a cordless drill and a box of bits. He looked at them, then asked me if I minded coming over to show him how to use it. A really nice guy, I just feel sorry for him. He had a big toolbox with one screwdriver and some utility blades, no utility knife to put them in.

He was also an avid cyclist and didn't even know how to fix a flat tire/install a new tube. I taught him all that and a bunch of other basic skills, he really wanted to learn. Sadly I think a lot of guys today have just had no one teach them these basic things.

I will say that I think even some of the hipster kids these days (I work with a lot of them) have more of an interest in DIY than the 30 somethings these days.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Seriously, I agree with OP. Men are pretty soft (if not physically weak) these days. And even if they are physically fit from the gym and the treadmill, they don't know how to do anything except pick up a phone to get help.

My neighbor asked me if I had a drill because he wanted to hang some pictures. I handed him a cordless drill and a box of bits. He looked at them, then asked me if I minded coming over to show him how to use it. A really nice guy, I just feel sorry for him. He had a big toolbox with one screwdriver and some utility blades, no utility knife to put them in.

He was also an avid cyclist and didn't even know how to fix a flat tire/install a new tube. I taught him all that and a bunch of other basic skills, he really wanted to learn. Sadly I think a lot of guys today have just had no one teach them these basic things.

I will say that I think even some of the hipster kids these days (I work with a lot of them) have more of an interest in DIY than the 30 somethings these days.
I think this illustrates the difference between "weak" and "not self-reliant." Lotsa guys lift weights but can't or won't do anything physical other than that. Now does that make them less manly? I don't think so. I'm sure there are former Navy SEALs who hire out their yardwork and don't change their own oil. Are they less srong or less manly because of that? I would say no.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:53 PM

596 posts, read 729,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post

I'm a woman well over 35, and I can't hem. Well, I could but it wouldn't be anything you'd want to wear in public. Besides, the best tailor I've ever known was a man. People need to get over these antiquated ideas of what's "woman's work" or "man's work," or that you're too feminine or masculine if you do (or don't do) this or that. I can't hem, but I can change my own oil, change my own tires, and fix most things that break down in my home.

Regarding the OP, as a woman, I would never think a man is weak just because he doesn't mow his own lawn. However, I would think that a man putting down another man for paying someone else to mow his lawn may be an indicator of his own insecurities. Strength is not measured in one's ability (or willingness) to do yard work.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Seriously, I agree with OP. Men are pretty soft (if not physically weak) these days.
I too agree that people (not just men) are softer these days, but the OP is obviously trolling due to the thread title and contents. There are better ways to discuss such a topic.

I for one still change my own oil, can start my own freakin' lawn mower, maintain 2 motorcycles, 2 cars, and a motorhome. I also go to the gym and work in an office. There are all types of people nowadays. Why judge? Who cares?

OP is an obvious instigator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: