Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:21 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,808,000 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of doing a "staycation" with my school-aged daughter this summer so we can save up for a bigger vacation next year. Half of the staycation will be here, in NoVa, and then we will drive out to the Delaware beaches to stay with grandma and enjoy the beach for a few days.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are things we do all the time on weekends (like the Smithsonian and other museums, National Zoo) so I am trying to get some ideas of things I haven't done with my daughter/haven't thought of.

Some ideas I've thought of already:

- Luray Caverns (I was there a child, but never brought my daughter there)
- Mini golf and arcade for a day (there is a Dave and Busters opening in Springfield Mall)
- Great Waves Water Park
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing (again, I've been there, but not my daughter)
- National Archives (again, I've been there, not her)
- Nats Game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 07:33 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,313,818 times
Luray Caverns is good, because there is also the hedge maze and ropes course there too.

You could go tubing at Harpers Ferry.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,547 times
Don't know how interested in history you all are but there are bunch of historical places to visit: Battle of Manassas, George Mason's home on Mason Neck, Lincoln's Cottage in NE DC, Marine Corps Museum in Quanitco, and George Washington's home at Mount Vernon (they have tons of events all the time if you've already visited). You could also take her on a tour of the Capitol Building which is way easier than you might have imagined (just get tickets online).

You can also call your Senator's office (Mark Warner or Tim Kaine) and ask to schedule a White House Tour. If you wanted to do that, you'd have to call soon because it takes months for the Secret Service to do background checks and availability is not plentiful. You can also ask to schedule a tour of the FBI Building through your Senator's office.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:40 AM

153 posts, read 173,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am thinking of doing a "staycation" with my school-aged daughter this summer so we can save up for a bigger vacation next year. Half of the staycation will be here, in NoVa, and then we will drive out to the Delaware beaches to stay with grandma and enjoy the beach for a few days.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

There are things we do all the time on weekends (like the Smithsonian and other museums, National Zoo) so I am trying to get some ideas of things I haven't done with my daughter/haven't thought of.

Some ideas I've thought of already:

- Luray Caverns (I was there a child, but never brought my daughter there)
- Mini golf and arcade for a day (there is a Dave and Busters opening in Springfield Mall)
- Great Waves Water Park
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing (again, I've been there, but not my daughter)
- National Archives (again, I've been there, not her)
- Nats Game
The Civil War Battlefields (e.g., Manassas, Fredericksburg, etc.) are great places to visit and explore. So is walking around Old Town Alexandria.

Your list is great! And it's a good reminder to us locals that this area, as a global destination, is easy to take for granted!

Old 12-11-2014, 08:12 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,808,000 times
Thanks so much... a lot of new ideas here. The big one being I will contact my Senator for a White House tour. That's something I did as a child and still clearly remember. If we get in, it's something to combine with the National Archive and Bureau of Engraving and Printing. FBI might be interesting too (and that's something I've never done).

A lot of things mentioned we've done recently (we were just at the Capitol Building a couple of months ago). We haven't been to the Battlefield in well over a year though. And yes, we've been to Mount Vernon several times (seems like a popular class trip). It's one of the nice things about living in this area... so many cool things to do.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:16 AM

336 posts, read 592,317 times
Visit the Vineyards in Loudoun County
Visit Annapolis
Cantler's restaurant in Annapolis
Shenandoah National Park
Occoquan Craft Show (usually in June)
Rent a boat at Burke Lake and/or Arrowhead Lake
Hiking at Great Falls National Park
Visit Richmond
Visit Williamsburg (2 1/2 hours drive)

Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,930 times
I like the tubing at Harper's Ferry but I would also suggest white water rafting and possibly horseback riding. I am sure there is a school in Chantilly, though I am not sure if it is in your budget.

There are a lot of hiking options in this area as well.

I think it would be nice to take older children to a place like Eden center where they may get to see a way of life that they have not experienced before. Even the grocery store there could be a different experience.

Do not forget that we have a major league ball park and you can get tickets for very reasonable prices. Get some really cheap tickets and walk around the park while the game is going on. There are some food options outside the park as well.

You can pre-tan for the beach at the Iwo Jima memorial and enjoy the view.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 AM

172 posts, read 329,826 times
I do not know how old your school-aged daughter is and how much she is interested in museums? But a few of my favorite ones in DC are (they are not free though):

http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/ - Impressive collections from Russia and Europe, and also beautiful gardens to walk.
http://www1.newseum.org/online-ad/ad...FUto7AodUScA8A - So many exhibitions to see! You can spend here a few hours or even a whole day, and still not to be able to see it all.
http://www.phillipscollection.org/

http://www.usna.usda.gov/ - I love National Arboretum in DC - walk/explore various areas, bring a picnic, and it is free with free parking!

Last edited by RusUs; 12-11-2014 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: remove HTML

Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,433,951 times
Richmond and Williamsburg have been mentioned. Don't forget Charlottesville and Monticello, Thomas Jeffersons home. Also while there walk around the old part of UVA campus. The PR hasn't been good lately for the place but it is a beautiful campus, and even for elementary age, plant the seed for college.

Also, a little closer to NoVa but often overlooked is Montpellier, James Madison's home, in Orange County.
Welcome to Montpelier | Montpelier. There has been a lot of historical preservation and archeological digs done there plus they just received a huge donation for more.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:45 PM

18 posts, read 26,645 times
Monticello was lovely, really enjoyed that as a kid.

A few more ideas:
- Check out the mosaics at the National Basilica (breathtaking)
- Behind the scenes tour at the National Cathedral. You can see the Darth Vader gargoyle and climb up by the bells.
- Tour the new NPR headquarters and sit down in the real newsroom, pretend to be a newscaster for a moment
- The spy in the city tour sounds great for kids, but never done it
- If you're over by Springfield Mall you could check out the Inventor's Hall of Fame and go to the Restaurant Eve lunch ($15) and paint your own pottery.
- If you have a library card to the Library of Congress, it's VERY fun to walk underneath the buildings. There's a small coffee shop down there and you feel like you're being let in on a secret. (It's also v easy to get a library card)

Have fun! DC staycations are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia