Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:17 AM

5 posts, read 6,691 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Northern VA area in mid January. My new job is in Herndon, VA. I am hoping that members of this board can provide details about the area.

I am a fresh college grad and am looking for housing around $1300 ( or less) per month, and near the Tech Corridor. It seems as though COL is astronomical in the area...

Also, what is traffic, shopping, and the people like in the tech corridor area? I obviously want to avoid places with lots of traffic, limited retail areas, or high crime areas.

Any general advice that would help a new person to the area is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 01:57 AM

61 posts, read 67,269 times
It's not the b###-hole of Fairfax County; just the arm-pit. You might actually be happier renting a room in a nice house.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:59 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,199,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus1177 View Post
I am moving to the Northern VA area in mid January. My new job is in Herndon, VA. I am hoping that members of this board can provide details about the area.

I am a fresh college grad and am looking for housing around $1300 ( or less) per month, and near the Tech Corridor. It seems as though COL is astronomical in the area...

Also, what is traffic, shopping, and the people like in the tech corridor area? I obviously want to avoid places with lots of traffic, limited retail areas, or high crime areas.

The previous poster's assessment is...interesting. Perhaps they are thinking of the Elden Street corridor of Herndon which features apartments popular with working-class renters as well as typical midscale strip mall conveniences. Much of Herndon - and most anywhere in the surrounding area - is more typical upper-middle class suburbs.

Your preferred rent budget is a bit low. If you can bump it up to $1400-1500, you may be able to find some options over in Reston. You'll also be relatively close to Reston Town Center which can be an okay option for younger professionals until the weekend comes. The previous poster had a good point that sharing a house or apartment is a popular option here for younger people. Checking out that list that Craig puts out may offer some ideas.

Traffic is the reality in Northern Virginia, especially in the Dulles Tech Corridor which has a high concentration of jobs. Without knowing exactly which town in the DTC you'll be working (Herndon/Reston/Ashburn), living as close as possible is recommended to minimize your commute. It can be a delicate balancing act for many to prioritize between a short commute and staying within a preferred housing budget. However, finding typical retail and restaurant offerings won't be a problem.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:01 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,740,453 times
Herndon has come way up in the last 10 years, especially with the arrival of Metrorail. If I were you, I would rent as close to your job as your budget will allow. Reston will also be a good option, though it might be more expensive. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:05 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,500,907 times
If you are a "fresh" college grad you should move near a Whole Foods, especially if you are organic. If you are just a regular college grad I would recommend Reston if you can swing it. It is a nice area. Chantilly could also be an option but I had a friend that made the same commute you would make a few years ago and he complained about the traffic on 28 all the time (for the commute). Herndon could be an OK option, I think there are some nicer places near Worldgate shopping center. Herndon has a bad rap around the area for some reason going back years. It does look like it has some nicer family areas and in the summer they used to do some kind of open air concert thing that I heard was fun. At your age I would suggest trying to get near a metro stop so you could take advantage of some happy hours down in Arlington and DC.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:17 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,104,365 times
One point that I'm not sure is clear from prior posts. Herndon does not have Metro yet. The Herndon station is part of the second phase of the Silver Line and will not open for several years. The last station on the Silver Line Now is at Wiehle Ave. in Reston, east of the Reston Town Center.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,500,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
One point that I'm not sure is clear from prior posts. Herndon does not have Metro yet. The Herndon station is part of the second phase of the Silver Line and will not open for several years. The last station on the Silver Line Now is at Wiehle Ave. in Reston, east of the Reston Town Center.
Thanks JEB77. I keep thinking it goes out to Reston proper.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:52 AM

9,888 posts, read 14,171,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I think there are some nicer places near Worldgate shopping center. .
The "nicer" areas of Herndon to live in aren't near Worldgate.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 AM

5 posts, read 6,691 times
Anyone know the names of apartment complexes in the area that they would recommend?

Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,394,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus1177 View Post

Rent a house with three or four grads with similar interests That is what I did when I graduated in the 1980's and moved to this area. We rented a SFH in Vienna. As each of use earned more money and/or go married, we moved into our own place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia