Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 AM

159 posts, read 278,323 times

Advertisements

I moved to NVa in the mid 90s from SoMD. "South" to me back then was Manassas and anything west of South Riding (farmland back then) on Rt 50. It took me awhile to understand the reverence of General Robert E Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia, one of the greatest generals in history albeit on the losing side. Now south is up the street and north is down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:11 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,579,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgatedenizen View Post
Growing up in rural Pennsylvania I remember the first time I heard a real distinct southern accent. Interestingly enough it was as a very young boy when we stopped at a restaurant in Hagerstown, MD. I still remember to this day the twang/drawl of the waitress. We all thought the "South" started on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line...

As far as NOVA goes, when I am in a new development I don't think southern, but when I am in an older developments or historic districts I tend to think "South."
Maryland IS on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line from Pennsylvania.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:49 AM

566 posts, read 1,558,350 times
When my dad was growing up in Great Falls in the 60s, things were still very rural and southern in Northern Virginia. Of course back then, Great Falls was not affluent and was mostly farmland. As the transplants moved in, the "southerners" just seemed to move further out. My cousins who grew up in Gainesville all have noticeable southern drawls. Go to a show at Jiffy Lube Live and you'll hear a good number of southern accents. While I consider MD and VA to technically be part of the south, I don't think you're not solidly "in the south" until you get past Manassas or Quantico. Part of rural MD, even near DC and Baltimore, do feel very southern to me.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:50 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,181,432 times
IMO, it starts at Fredericksburg due south, the Fauquier County line due west and perhaps Purcellville due northwest. A rough rule of thumb to follow is that if you see a Sheetz or a Sonic, either you've either arrived in "the South" or are very close it.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 AM

154 posts, read 374,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Maryland IS on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line from Pennsylvania.
Obviously... Pennsylvania is south of New York also but I don't think many New Yorker's think of PA as part of the "South."

Old 12-19-2014, 11:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,493,421 times
Quote:
Obviously... Pennsylvania is south of New York also but I don't think many New Yorker's think of PA as part of the "South."
I think you missed the point.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,579,094 times
Quote:
Maybe I misread you, but you said that you were surprised to find a Southern accent in Hagerstown because you thought the "South" began south of the Mason-Dixon line. But if you were coming from Pennsylvania, by going to Hagerstown you already had gone south of the Mason-Dixon line by crossing the Pa./Md. border. Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon.

Yes Pennsylvania is south of New York, but they're still both north of the Mason-Dixon.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 PM

566 posts, read 1,558,350 times
Here's an article on the topic:

D.C. area and Dixie drifting farther and farther apart

Old 12-19-2014, 01:03 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
That article makes a very good point: I definitely believe there is a big racial divide.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:12 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,455,220 times
I couldn't read the article because it was locked. I've read my allotment for the month.

What "big racial divide" is described in the article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia