Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:22 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,536,357 times

Advertisements

D.C. area and Dixie drifting farther and farther apart
Quote:
But Greg Carr, who grew up in Nashville, sees Southern markers here. Carr, chairman of Afro-American Studies at Howard University, said he recognizes the fading signs of the Old South in this region.
"For black folks, this is still very much a Southern city," Carr said. "D.C. has very little in common with a stereotypical Northern city."

Carr cited the presence of an entrenched black elite in Washington as a characteristic of Southern cities, along the lines of Atlanta and Charlotte. Its still-living history of sharply segregated neighborhoods is another sign, as well as the paucity of white ethnic neighborhoods, such as Italian or Irish sections of Baltimore, New York and Boston.
"Even the architecture is more Southern," Carr said. "You have no concrete canyons in Washington."
Even as black residents from other states and countries move to Washington in greater numbers, the cultural feeling of African American communities remains Southern, he said.

"Anacostia, that's the South over there," Carr said. "Folks with their shirts off washing their cars, waving at you as you pass by. That's Southern."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 02:10 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,464,306 times
Thanks, gomason,

That is interesting.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:24 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,690,823 times
Sheetz is a NJ company and for me seeing them is an indication that I've gone north (although there are a few around Richmond). Sonic is a Midwestern chain (I think, my first visit to one was in IL about 16 years ago). The first Sonic didn't appear in Richmond until about five years ago. It's intersting that these two business indicate the South for some people... Unless Sheetz was used as the North marker and Sonic was used as the Southern?

As for where it begins in NoVa? At the Potomac. NoVa (culturally) isn't really all that odd or special. Geographically it is Southern. Lots of other places in the South are like it (NoVa is still superior to these other suburbs, there's no denying that!). Northern Virginia is really a nice place. It can be overcrowded and obnoxious but the land and towns are really very beautiful. Fairfax has great Korean food. Arlington (the name of Robert E Lee's plantation) and Alexandria are fantastic (the old and new). The look of the development (old and new) is very Southern, as are the names of the streets, schools and neighborhoods.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:05 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,992,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
In both VA and MD around the D.C. area it seems like the south begins not far from the beltway. To me going down 95 once I get to Prince William county it starts to feel southern lite and gets in full force around Dumfries. Going west on 66 as soon as I hit Manassas I feel like I'm in dixie. Not bashing PWC or anything it just feels different than D.C. or MoCo or even Fairfax co.

MD is similar except the south starts just south of the Beltway around Clinton and Fort Washington and gets full throttle around Brandywine and Accokeek.

Back to VA. PWC reminds me of Gwinett county in GA or somewhere in Texas. Am I the only one who see things this way.
I beg to differ, Sir.

To me, the feeling of the "South" is more than just geography & the accent. It is about tradition, a way of life, and the values we keep.

South is where neighbors still greet each other, kids are taught to say "Sir", "Ma'am" and "thank you". Man & women maintain a civility toward each other. It is also the strong believe of "God, country, family and guns" are held, and not necessary in that order!

South is where good cookings are done with love & shared. It is not bought from a chain restaurant. It is the time to be shared with family and good friends.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Good to know that there isn't a South. All of those traditions are dead, long live said traditions.

Btw, you are describing a South that only existed for a tiny blip in history (1940-1950's).

Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,992,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Good to know that there isn't a South. All of those traditions are dead, long live said traditions.

Btw, you are describing a South that only existed for a tiny blip in history (1940-1950's).
Perhaps you've been living in this metropolis too long.

I have just moved from such a place to here and i do miss it.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:35 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,462,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
South is where good cookings are done with love & shared. It is not bought from a chain restaurant. It is the time to be shared with family and good friends.
Bojangle's says hello. =)

Old 12-21-2014, 01:19 PM

490 posts, read 650,824 times
NOVA is the south. There's a statue of a confederate solder in Old Town Alexandria, and Robert E Lee's boyhood home.

People from the north, welcome to the south.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Arlington Cemetary started in Lee's rose garden (Arlington House is his plantation). The north started burying their dead on his land stragically. It was a brilliant move and one of the most interesting (and positive) things to happen in the war!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:13 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,348,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I couldn't read the article because it was locked. I've read my allotment for the month.

What "big racial divide" is described in the article?
Most news sights that do this use cookies to track how many articles you've read. To get around it use a different browser or clear your Internet cache and continue reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia