Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:45 PM

4,906 posts, read 7,494,398 times

Advertisements

We, too, have been moved around a bit always bouncing back to DC area. It does stink but like another poster noted, what can you do if your job is DC specific. I am counting the days until we leave forever!

Introverted or not, you have to get out an join things -- sports leagues, alumni/sorority groups, charitable organizations, church/temple. Whatever your interests are. But, in this area, you can't wait for people to come to you -- they never will. You have to actively seek out opportunities.

And, take mini-vacations -- mountains, beach, Richmond, Baltimore, lakes, etc are all within a couple hours.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 01:52 PM

979 posts, read 1,782,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
...most people seems to have a great work-life balance...
Wow. I must have been hanging out in the wrong parts of NOVA! I have always been a long-hours worker (and practically expect by now to have to work on many holidays), and the only people I knew with a healthy work-life balance were SAHMs (most of whose husbands were always working long hours and/or having to travel for work). The pace of business in the DC area is faster than in many other areas. We have an office in a more rural area, and one of the major complaints in my office is that they don't work within DC timeframes, as in they are slower to respond and to complete work.

My experience includes propping my newborn in a bouncy seat next to my computer at home so I could work at 4am to meet a deadline. I once took a week off to go to Vegas with my sister (neither of us had ever been). Good thing for free hotel internet because I ended up working 50 hours that week from my hotel room! I don't think I have ever actually used up my allotted PTO.

But maybe I'm unique. Though my coworkers tend to be in the same boat, even outside of my department. I suppose a large part of it depends on the field you work in.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:54 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,778,358 times
I could have written your post myself (except I'm not petite nor easily moved, lol). Though, you have a bit a cynical tone, but I really can't blame you.

Not that I hate DC, but I would have moved out years ago if weren't for the job mobility in this area, period.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:16 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I can understand why you feel this way. I went to Orlando a few weeks ago and was shocked it was in the mid 70s. It was something seeing people so happy, walking around in shorts and sandals. I'd forgotten how refreshing warm sunny weather can be for the spirit. A lot of people are stuck in the DC area because of the economy so you're not alone.

There is always a trade off. I'm from Fla although it's been many years. When September comes and we start cooling down all my family in Florida are still moaning and groaning how hot and humid it is there. Same with Oct. and even sometimes in Nov. Come May we are seeing some of the nicest weather in the US here in VA while Fla is aready heating up pretty bad.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,376,493 times
I'm originally from NE Ohio, so if you want to talk about bleak, gray skies...
I live about a mile and a half from work, so I almost never take the metro and I seldom deal with traffic or mean drivers. Almost all the people I work with or know through the neighborhood are very pleasant. The toughest part has been that our salaries don't really stack up to the cost of living, but for us the positives have outweighed the negatives enough that we've been able to work it out and stay in this area for 20+ years.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 PM

601 posts, read 595,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Wow. I must have been hanging out in the wrong parts of NOVA! I have always been a long-hours worker (and practically expect by now to have to work on many holidays), and the only people I knew with a healthy work-life balance were SAHMs (most of whose husbands were always working long hours and/or having to travel for work). The pace of business in the DC area is faster than in many other areas. We have an office in a more rural area, and one of the major complaints in my office is that they don't work within DC timeframes, as in they are slower to respond and to complete work.

My experience includes propping my newborn in a bouncy seat next to my computer at home so I could work at 4am to meet a deadline. I once took a week off to go to Vegas with my sister (neither of us had ever been). Good thing for free hotel internet because I ended up working 50 hours that week from my hotel room! I don't think I have ever actually used up my allotted PTO.

But maybe I'm unique. Though my coworkers tend to be in the same boat, even outside of my department. I suppose a large part of it depends on the field you work in.
My experience may be limited by my field and age cohort, true. A couple of VPs at my old company worked their tails off, effort and hour wise. But by and large, I see people sticking to the 40 hour a week formula - and that is a great thing.

A old friend of mine who was recruited out of business school to work in one of the lone investment banks in DC left after a little more than a year here, and moved to NYC - he told me that he stuck out like a sore thumb, not only working in the financial industry, but that no one in his social circle worked 70-80+ hour weeks, and friends were constantly inviting him to things that he just couldn't go to due to time constraints.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:14 PM

22,572 posts, read 12,141,572 times
When we moved here in 1980 so that my husband could work for the government, it didn't take long for him to realize that he was wearing golden handcuffs.

After our daughter was born 5 years later, we looked into leaving the area. Trying to transfer out of the DC area only reinforced the golden handcuffs. If he were to take a lateral move doing the same job, it would have meant no opportunity to advance to a higher grade level. Before we knew it, it was time for our daughter to start school. When that happened, we made a commitment to stay in the area so that she could have some stability where school was concerned.

She's been out on her own for quite a while now---and I would love to find a way to move out of here at this point.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:59 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,370,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post

Ok that is messed up. Checking/responding to emails while on PTO is one thing, but working 50 hours during your vacay trip?!?!?

You must work on a really bad project with one of the Big 4 firms

Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM

71 posts, read 100,544 times
I love these threads. I'm moving from South Carolina to the Reston area here in a few weeks.... Figured I would give it a shot and see how it goes.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,040,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
I've lived in NoVa since 1990 (with the exception of stints for schooling in Harrisonburg, VA and Orlando FL), and notice this area is growing so...hectic.

There are many positives about this area (wealth of jobs, diversity, culture, arts, nature and parks, authentic food), but the drawbacks are starting to wear me down.
Housing (rent or buy) is absurdly expensive, traffic/congestion, public transport sucks, hectic lifestyle, and the gray frigid skies of winter that seems to last 3-5 months.
There are rude people on the metro who push you aside or cut in line (I'm petite and easily movable), the angry drivers, and just mean ill-mannered folks.

I'm tired, worn, and feel defeated. Walking home in 15 degree weather or staring at the bleak gray skies, I long to be able to go to the beach, or bask in a nice warm day, or chat with friendly locals. Most folks are so busy, nobody really has time to "chat". I'm pretty introverted so it's not like I need to go out all the time or need others. I usually resort to online forums for support since my friends are busy and my husband gets tired of "chatting".

I love my job and I'm grateful for being gainfully employed. When I lived in Orlando, good paying professional jobs were hard to come by. But I so miss the warm winters, ocean, and lifestyle of a warmer laid-back climate.

I'm torn between putting roots here, or saving up for a move. The economy is what mainly keeps me here.
The DC metro area is rich with opportunities and plentiful jobs. I'm afraid moving somewhere like Florida where the jobs my field is scarce or underpaid (I'm in Government IT & Project Mgt).

Can anyone else commiserate or feel hand-cuffed to this area for one reason or another?
1). Take a good night rest

2). Never make life changing decisions when you are tired or depressed. Take a vacation then re-evaluate

3). Life goes by really fast. Follow your heart. A few years down the road, you don't want to say to yourself "how I wish I could have done this, try that"

4). At the end, nobody ever say "I wish I spend more time at work & less time with my loved ones".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia