Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 AM

87 posts, read 383,335 times

Advertisements

It was absolutely unbelievable to hear that news this week. Shocking! Any comments?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:38 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
It was absolutely unbelievable to hear that news this week. Shocking! Any comments?

Did I miss something?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 AM

87 posts, read 383,335 times
At the Phoenix airport a woman was put into a holding area after becoming unruly because she didn't make her connection and was very upset. I mean very, very upset. They handcuffed her and when they returned less than 10 minutes later, she was dead. They suspected she had strangled herself with the handcuffs.
Now, how is that even possible??? Someone on the news commented that in order to do that she would have had to dislocate your shoulders. Very, very sad, she was actually on her way to an alcoholic treatment center, very pretty woman with 3 kids under the age of 9.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,665 times
I recently read that she was "shackled" to a table. So, I think she tried to move the handcuffs down her lower body and somehow got the cuffs tied up with the chain of the shackle. She was having a tantrum and and was not thinking clearly...somehow freaked out and cut off her air supply, I assume. It is sad, but I hate that her goofball relatives are already lawyered up ready to get a payday. This looks to me like no abuse of power, just a spoiled drunk that could not accept not getting her way.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:34 AM

788 posts, read 2,111,216 times
Of course, I don't know all the details, but from what I've heard on the news, she was going to Tucson for alcohol abuse treatment. She was more than likely not in a rational state of mind, which can cause people to act in all kinds of crazy ways. It is really sad, especially since she was trying to turn her life around, but at the same time, I don't see how the security guards/police could be to blame for her death. If they followed standard procedure (which they say they did), then what she did to herself is her own responsibility. They say that they only left her for a few minutes. Sky Harbor is a very large airport, and I can understand why they would leave her in a holding cell to attend to other duties. If a prisoner in the penal system hangs himself, whether accidental or not, you can't really blame the guard for not standing in front of the cell, making sure the prisoner doesn't kill himself 24 hours every day, unless the guard had some reason to believe that the prisoner intended on doing so.

This is the same kind of situation. In the eyes of the guards/police, this woman was upset because she missed her flight. They detained her to calm her down, and get her away from other fliers so that no one got hurt. They probably had no clue that she was an alcoholic, which would be affecting her judgement. If they had known this, they might have watched her more closely. But since she was pitching a fit, I assume they couldn't get that info from her.

As far as why or how she did that, who knows? But, she could have been in a panic, thinking that it took all her willpower to make it this far to be rehabilitated. Maybe she was panicking at the thought of staying in the airport for a few hours, with all the alcohol around. Maybe she was out of her mind because of withdrawal. And, the body can do amazing things to itself when the mind is crazy.

Also, I read that the shackles are not like basic handcuffs. They had a chain, so I can definitely see how she could have gotten tangled up while freaking out, slipped and strangled herself.

Anyway, it was a very unfortunate accident, and it's very sad, but I don't think the detainers should be blamed for her actions.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:21 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,435 times
Quote:
At the Phoenix airport a woman was put into a holding area after becoming unruly because she didn't make her connection and was very upset. I mean very, very upset. They handcuffed her and when they returned less than 10 minutes later, she was dead. They suspected she had strangled herself with the handcuffs.
Now, how is that even possible??? Someone on the news commented that in order to do that she would have had to dislocate your shoulders. Very, very sad, she was actually on her way to an alcoholic treatment center, very pretty woman with 3 kids under the age of 9.
Speculating about this may be fun, but it's pointless until all the facts are known and released. The comment made by her mega rich in-law's attorney is as bizarre as her behavior. His claim that a person would have to break or dislocate their shoulders to get handcuffs in front of their body is ridiculous. Hell, even in my 'crippled' orthopaedic condition, I can do in within a few seconds. If you don't believe me, try it yourselves:

Sit in a chair. Now, put your hands behind your back and interlace your fingers to simulate having handcuffs on. Simply slide your hands down under your butt and down the back of your thighs. When you get to your knees, pull your knees up to your chest and slip your hands under your heels. Your hands are now in front. I had many prisoners do just that.

I've never seen any of the benches in any of the holding cells at Sky Harbor, so I can't comment on that aspect. There are just too many different configurations and chain lengths possible to even make an educated guess. I suggest waiting until the facts come out. I'm especially interested in the toxicology report.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:54 PM

285 posts, read 785,530 times
A 45 year-old on her way to rehab has me suspcious of her at the outset. I will wait for a full accounting until I make final judgment.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:35 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,315 times
My major concern is that they withheld vital body parts from the 2nd and independent autopsy. The did not turn over the neck, heart and brain...and by not turning the parts over it makes it appear as they are trying to hide something...Very Dumb Move

Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Quote:
Not as shocking as it may first appear, askme!

During my long airline career, I spent many years working at LAX and I can assure you there are many, almost on a daily basis, incidents where people throw "snit fits" for many different reasons. Some are downright scary and ridiculous considering the relatively simple solutions available.

Have you ever wondered why there are so many Law Enforcement Officers at airports? Also, why most airports actually have Police Sub-Stations located within the airport itself?

While I have traveled in and out of Sky Harbor many times, I have never worked there but I am certain it is no better or worse than average.

This woman created a major scene because she missed a flight to Tucson even though she had been protected on a flight departing about one hour later. Yes, Tucson . . . which is only a 90 minute drive which I have done many times even before finally relocating here about ten years ago.

For her to be shackled and locked in a room to calm down speaks volumes for her behavior and clearly identifies her as a NUTCASE!

Sorry, I've been there and seen it all . . . NO SYMPATHY WHATSOEVER!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,869,219 times
I am watching CNN right now...9:29 CST on Friday night and they are discussing the story. So far they've said that she was clinically depressed and an alcoholic that was flying to enter a rehab center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area