Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 15,421 times

Advertisements

Ditto.
  1. Commuting from VA to Bethesda is like swimming up the river.
  2. I can not speak for all MD but I know Rockville pretty good.. Rockville is right next to Bethesda. The price range you provided won't buy you a desirable home in this area. Entry level T Home is about 500 K and up, and your budget is more for a 200 K home to buy. They don't exist anymore at this price. Even condo will cost you more.
  3. Rent starts in about 1500 for two bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 PM

5 posts, read 15,421 times
If you are looking for a great school with lots of kids from France then IB school in Rockville is highly desirable look up the CGES school. The best place to live is right around the corner at wonderful community that is mostly young professionals with children, lots of Europeans too - King Farm.
You can either rent a very nice appt. or if you pay bit more you can get a THouse for about 2200.
Important - not all of the King Farm belongs to CGES, only the South of Redland Blvd.
Commute to Bethesda is easy and fast, you can drive or take a metro.
No need to worry about the metro parking since you can either walk to metro - yes it is that close,
or you can hop on one of the King Farm free shuttle busses that are comfy and clean and timely.
Few different routs and many stops, for King Farm residents only. Awesome or what!
The money you save on the metro parking you can put in rent.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:18 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,767 times
I'd stay in Maryland if I were you, and look in Montgomery County or around Montgomery county for houses. I'd also find out the parking situation where your husband is going to work, and where most of his colleagues live, if he is able to check this out in advance. If parking is not tight, he may be able to drive in...

Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,514,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Sorry - I would never recommend Reston for someone who wants a 1 hour public transit commute to Bethesda.
I dunno, Frederick might be where they end up based on preferences, and budget. $1800 rental might be doable in the area where Potomac, Rockville, and Bethesda have merged to form the unholy combinations of North Bethesda and North Potomac. But it'd be an Apartment not a TH.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I dunno, Frederick might be where they end up based on preferences, and budget. $1800 rental might be doable in the area where Potomac, Rockville, and Bethesda have merged to form the unholy combinations of North Bethesda and North Potomac. But it'd be an Apartment not a TH.
I wouldn't wish that commute on my worst enemy.

And besides, isn't Frederick kind of nedrecky?

Their best bet is somewhere on the Red line north of Bethesda. Maybe they can rent a small SFH in the White Flint/Grovenor area. Might be something in their budget if far enough from the Metrorail (but a quick bus ride).

Old 04-25-2015, 09:39 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,514,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I wouldn't wish that commute on my worst enemy.

And besides, isn't Frederick kind of nedrecky?

Their best bet is somewhere on the Red line north of Bethesda. Maybe they can rent a small SFH in the White Flint/Grovenor area. Might be something in their budget if far enough from the Metrorail (but a quick bus ride).
If OP wants a SFH, it might be her only choice. A TH might be doable in Clarksburg or Germantown, though.

Come visit downtown Frederick, it's full of hipsters and yuppies. No more Fredneck at least there.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,767 times
Downtown Frederick is very nice indeed (charming, in fact), and there is a downtown river walk with restaurants and shops. Also, an excellent antique store section nearby. It has an Old Town feel in many spots, and some of the restaurants are top notch, such as Volt. Prices for real estate are very reasonable, compared to what you get in NOVA. Hubby and I were seriously contemplating a move there about a year ago, but elected to remain in Virginia due to work. We did see diversity in the streets, Frederick did appear to be normal slice of an american population. Remember, it is near the up and coming biotechnology corridor and Ft Detrick, so this will have some influence in tamping down the Fredneck reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia