Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,626 times

Advertisements

I know this is a frequent request, but I haven't found the answers I seek via search. We're relocating to NOVA in 6-8 mo. We'd really appreciate neighborhood recommendations based on the following criteria.

1. I'll be working at Quantico and want a southbound commute of < 1hr.
2. Want to live close to Metro. We're from the south and want to enjoy the big city before daughter starts school.
3. Prefer kid friendly metropolitan area with nearby park and playground. Splash pad is bonus as we have a 4yo.
4. Expect to rent nice 2BR Condo/Apt for 1-2 yrs until family grows. We want the convenience and amenities like pool, fitness center, etc.
5. Zoned for good public elementary school
6. Max budget is $2400
7. Access to biking trails would be a bonus.

I know we need to be somewhere along the blue/yellow line. I'm just not sure which area has the balance we need between family friendly, desirability, convenience, and recreation. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,358,001 times
How about the Montclair area? Here is one in the Ashland community:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...29-14448?row=2

Community has a clubhouse, fitness center and pool. It's close to Quantico and the Prince William National Forest. We used to live there and thought the schools were fine. Not close to metro though.

Another option might be West Springfield:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...77-93423?row=1

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...97-01808?row=9

Further to Quantico, but closer to metro. Good schools and you could join a local pool and use a county rec center.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,359,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How about the Montclair area? Here is one in the Ashland community:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...29-14448?row=2

Community has a clubhouse, fitness center and pool. It's close to Quantico and the Prince William National Forest. We used to live there and thought the schools were fine. Not close to metro though.

Another option might be West Springfield:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...77-93423?row=1

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...97-01808?row=9

Further to Quantico, but closer to metro. Good schools and you could join a local pool and use a county rec center.
I think they could find better/nicer places with their budget. Like the new construction near Wegmans?

Old 03-12-2015, 10:42 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,282,283 times
Why do you want to live near metro if working at Quantico?

Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I think they could find better/nicer places with their budget. Like the new construction near Wegmans?
Which one? Kingstowne?

Old 03-13-2015, 05:54 AM

6,583 posts, read 8,448,171 times
Based on your criteria, and the fact that you want to live in a metropolitan area (Montclair is nice but it's not metropolitan), I'd suggest Old Town Alexandria or the Del Ray neighborhood (22301) in Alexandria or the Belle Haven neighborhood along the George Washington Parkway in Fairfax County (Alexandria 22307). This will max out your desire for a no more than 1 hour commute (45 - 60 minutes), but it fits all your other parameters.

http://www.trulia.com/rental-communi...dria-VA-22314/

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3133327...ndria-VA-22307

Old 03-13-2015, 06:21 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,789,428 times
Kingstowne is definitely the first area that comes to my mind. It's a pre-planned community with condomiums, townhomes, single family homes, and a couple of managed apartment complexes. There are two fitness and community centers, pools, trails, and all very close to Metro. Also pretty easy access to 95. However, it is definitely more of a suburban community - while the shopping centers are within walking distance, they are still more car friendly than pedestrian friendly in my opinion.

If you really want a more urban every day experience, you probably need to look to old town Alexandria, but that will up your commute time and also be closer to your budget max.

Another thought. Are you planning to enjoy city life mostly on the weekends or are you looking for somewhere where everyday is city living? If the former, you may not really care how close to Metro you are. Metro on the weekends has simply awful service and it it is both quicker (and often cheaper) to simply drive into DC or old town Alexandria. If it is the latter, well then I think your only real option is old town Alexandria. If you do plan to drive into DC on the weekends, I would personally just want to be close to the Beltway because 95 traffic between the Beltway and Fredericksburg can be hellish even in the weekends. Getting caught in that a few times would significantly detract from your desire to drive into DC.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Based on your criteria, and the fact that you want to live in a metropolitan area (Montclair is nice but it's not metropolitan), I'd suggest Old Town Alexandria or the Del Ray neighborhood (22301) in Alexandria or the Belle Haven neighborhood along the George Washington Parkway in Fairfax County (Alexandria 22307). This will max out your desire for a no more than 1 hour commute (45 - 60 minutes), but it fits all your other parameters.

Meridian at Braddock Station Apartments, Alexandria | Trulia.com

6606 10th Street #B1, Alexandria VA | Trulia.com
True. I missed the metropolitan part. Kingstowne might be a "no" then too.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Why do you want to live near metro if working at Quantico?
The first year or so, we want to take full advantage of the city... get the full DC experience. You know, while we get acclimated and seek out a community in which we'd like to buy. I assume the metro would be an easier mode of transportation into DC vs driving, finding parking, etc. Plus, although Quantico will be my primary work site, there may be times I need to commute into DC for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Another thought. Are you planning to enjoy city life mostly on the weekends or are you looking for somewhere where everyday is city living? If the former, you may not really care how close to Metro you are. Metro on the weekends has simply awful service and it it is both quicker (and often cheaper) to simply drive into DC or old town Alexandria. If it is the latter, well then I think your only real option is old town Alexandria. If you do plan to drive into DC on the weekends, I would personally just want to be close to the Beltway because 95 traffic between the Beltway and Fredericksburg can be hellish even in the weekends. Getting caught in that a few times would significantly detract from your desire to drive into DC.
City living is fine as long as there's a green space and grocery nearby. Old Town Alexandria definitely looks promising.

I don't think being within walking distance to metro is requirement. I can always drive to one that has parking. With that said, we'd still like an urban vibe within close proximity of where we live.

I really appreciate all the advice!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:13 AM

754 posts, read 1,742,563 times
As was previously mentioned, the metro on the weekends is pretty bad and unreliable. Unless you need metro daily for getting to/from work (which you won't), I would nix the metro requirement and find the best location that fits your other parameters. Also, Old Town does not have the best elementary schools by NoVA standards, so you may want to do your research on that (Old Town is in the 22314 zip code). I personally think Kingstowne fits the bill for you best and you still have close access to the blue line if you so choose to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia