Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 05:11 AM

132 posts, read 272,412 times

Advertisements

Hi, this might be a stupid question, but I am really confused.

I live in MD and am still new to the NOVA area. If I take the i495 from MD to VA, somewhere near the airport, all of a sudden all the lanes are required of an EZ pass, which I dont have, and there is no way out. Shall I get off the freeway somewhere before the ez pass gate and look for cash payment then get back on to 495?

Thanks!

Last edited by tr2163; 03-21-2015 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:30 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
There are only certain lanes on the Beltway that require an EZ-Pass. Those are the express lanes. Not all lanes require an EZ-Pass so you most certainly can drive on the Beltway without a pass.

The express lanes are marked with signs so you can easily avoid driving in those lanes. If you do accidently get in the express lanes, just get off at the nearest exit and expect to get a fine in the mail.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:39 AM

132 posts, read 272,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
There are only certain lanes on the Beltway that require an EZ-Pass. Those are the express lanes. Not all lanes require an EZ-Pass so you most certainly can drive on the Beltway without a pass.

The express lanes are marked with signs so you can easily avoid driving in those lanes. If you do accidently get in the express lanes, just get off at the nearest exit and expect to get a fine in the mail.
Shall I keep on the right lane before to avoid getting into the express lane? Once I pass the airport, there seems to be no way I could get out of the express.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:23 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr2163 View Post
Shall I keep on the right lane before to avoid getting into the express lane? Once I pass the airport, there seems to be no way I could get out of the express.
There is no airport directly along the Beltway. Are you talking about where the Dulles Toll Road ends and the Greenway starts right past the Dulles airport? (This isn't the Beltway anymore).

Where are you trying to go?

Old 03-21-2015, 07:51 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr2163 View Post
Hi, this might be a stupid question, but I am really confused.

I live in MD and am still new to the NOVA area. If I take the i495 from MD to VA, somewhere near the airport, all of a sudden all the lanes are required of an EZ pass, which I dont have, and there is no way out. Shall I get off the freeway somewhere before the ez pass gate and look for cash payment then get back on to 495?

Thanks!
If it's the Dulles Toll Road the cash lanes are to the right. If you go through wrongly, you can call them up and pay the toll over the phone with a credit card. Also, when taking the exit from 495 to the Toll Rd. The Airport access road (FREE) is all the way to the left and exits before you get to the toll gates. That road is for the airport only. There are no other exits until you get there.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 AM

294 posts, read 372,314 times
Are there times of day where all lanes of any of the highways around are all HOV?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:08 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Are there times of day where all lanes of any of the highways around are all HOV?
66, inside the Beltway is HOV only heading east in the morning (6:30 - 9, I think), and west in the afternoon (4 - 6:30, i think).

Old 03-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Cool, thanks. Someone at work the other day said they thought it was against the law to do something like that and not have an option for a single commuter. But I figured that sort of defeated the purpose of HOV lanes, haha.

Now if someone can just explain the difference between the inner loop and outer loop of the Beltway, I will consider myself sufficiently knowledgeable on area roads to get by for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:29 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,094,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Cool, thanks. Someone at work the other day said they thought it was against the law to do something like that and not have an option for a single commuter. But I figured that sort of defeated the purpose of HOV lanes, haha.

Now if someone can just explain the difference between the inner loop and outer loop of the Beltway, I will consider myself sufficiently knowledgeable on area roads to get by for the foreseeable future.
Inner loop goes clockwise. Outer loop is counter.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:25 AM

Ha. I am an idiot. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia