Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM

19,879 posts, read 9,424,417 times

Advertisements

I am a 61-year-old woman living in Colorado who will be visiting Washington, D.C. and Colonial Williamsburg for the first time during the first week of July. I understand that it will almost certainly be very hot and humid at that time, and I find it very difficult to tolerate hot and humid weather!

Can you please give me appropriate wardrobe suggestions? I am 5'4" and a size 6/8, but I want long sleeves because of having "old lady" arms, and I will be wearing flats or low heels as we will be doing a lot of walking. I don't want to wear shorts, so I am thinking of white or light-colored loose slacks with a tank top and over-blouse for most of my time there. Would that be good for most sight-seeing? Any other suggestions regarding wardrobe (or anything else!) will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Also, do you have any opinions, pro or con, as to which Washington airport to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 AM

15,154 posts, read 27,838,153 times
That would be fine, do you wear capri's? (it Might be hot) - otherwise, maybe a longer skirt? National is a bit closer but you might be a better fare out of Dulles (still wouldn't be terrible). Have fun! (bring a light jacket as well for night-time in case)

Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,811,722 times
Williamsburg can be stifling in July! I would not worry about your "old lady" arms and at least wear short sleeves! I went there several years back in July and to this day I still remember how hot it was - and I like the heat! Short sleeves, a skirt or skorts would be best if you don't wear shorts. Light colors and loose-fitting would be good, too. I would not layer. Bring a hat and sunglasses. And pack sunscreen. A small mist bottle might be worth bringing, too. My kids have one with a fan attached that works wonders when we're walking around in the summertime heat. Always carry a water bottle, too and wear sensible shoes - no heels - even low ones. Sneakers are best for a lot of walking. I'd plan the same for DC. Of course, you might luck out and hit them both during a cooler week, but if it's hot and muggy, be prepared!

Despite the weather, it should be an awesome trip. There is so much American history in both places! Great architecture and museums. You will love it. I suspect that Dulles would be a good airport to fly into, but I haven't flown to Denver in years. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:47 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,362,947 times
The attire you have in mind sounds fine. Comfortable shoes are key, if you will be walking around a lot - stick to flats only, dont worry about low heels even, unless you go to dinner at a fancier, upscale place

Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,362,947 times
Regarding airports - definitely pick Reagan National over Dulles

Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,285,090 times
If you must have long sleeve and long pants, definitely go with lighter weight loose weave breezy clothes in light colors. But seriously consider skirts and short sleeve shirts. You may want to consider getting a cooling towel. They don't take up much space, and all you have to do is get it wet, wring it out and drape it on your neck to help keep your body temp down. I definitely wouldn't do heels ... do some research on good quality walking sandals.

If you're planning to stick to public transit while in DC, fly into DCA. If you're going to rent a car, consider Dulles or BWI as well.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:16 AM

19,879 posts, read 9,424,417 times
Thanks, everyone, for all the great input!

I have noticed some disagreement about "best airport." We will be renting a car and looking for easiest in and easiest out, as we do not know the area at all. (We will be staying at the Arlington Hyatt on Wilson Blvd. the first night, if that helps.)

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:16 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,461,803 times
I like your plan better than skirts and short sleeves. You can always remove the over-blouse (don't worry about your arms!). Capris do help if you will wear them rather than long pants. But the best clothing advice might be to come in May or September instead!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 AM

526 posts, read 902,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

I have noticed some disagreement about "best airport." We will be renting a car and looking for easiest in and easiest out, as we do not know the area at all. (We will be staying at the Arlington Hyatt on Wilson Blvd. the first night, if that helps.)

Thanks!
Reagan is way closer to Arlington than Dulles. But it's worth checking for fares into both airports. Sometimes there's quite a difference. If the price is close, choose Reagan!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:19 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,461,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

Thanks!
You may find different fares if you are flexible with airport choice. National is closer to DC and to most parts of Arlington. It is smaller than Dulles so a little easier to navigate for the unfamiliar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia