Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:28 PM

41 posts, read 46,397 times

Advertisements

Also I do know that Brentsville is in a pretty rural area but not sure if that's what you were referring to as far as not recommending it. I do not mind rural at all.

Also can anyone elaborate on the specialty programs and being able to enroll in a different school outside of the district assigned?

Also the screenshot below is for Manassas park high school no?
Attached Thumbnails
Working in Manassas! June 1 Move In!-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 08:30 PM

274 posts, read 350,049 times
Also Brentsville High School is in Nokesville. I have a friend who's son is zoned for Patriot but goes to Brentsville, so he can be in a smaller school. So it is possible, I believe you just have to provide transportation. I will be seeing her in the morning and can get further information for you.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:38 PM

15 posts, read 17,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAction View Post
Hello all!

My family and I are moving to the area as told by the military! My duty will be in Manassas on Sudley Rd. We are a family of 6! One high school kid, one middle school kid a 5th grader (next year) and a 1st grader (next year). I have looked over recommendations from all the posts on the forum as far as the Haymarket, Gainesville, Bristow area and are considering those areas. We are considering other areas as well but with that, like the majority of posters who move to the area I have questions about commute and schools.

I was wondering what the commute from Montclair/Dumfries to Manassas would be like and if anyone had any Pros/Cons about Forest Park High School and the Montclair/Dumfries area in general!

Thanks for whatever help any one can give!!! I don't have to start work until Mid July but want to move into a place June 1 to give us a chance to get settled and figure things out well before!
I love the Piedmont and Dominion Valley area the schools get pretty high marks from Greatschools.org. There seems to be an emphasis on family activities in the community and I think the commute is very reasonable.
Welcome to NoVA!!! Let us know what area you choose!

Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
Quote:
Also I do know that Brentsville is in a pretty rural area but not sure if that's what you were referring to as far as not recommending it. I do not mind rural at all.

Also can anyone elaborate on the specialty programs and being able to enroll in a different school outside of the district assigned?

Also the screenshot below is for Manassas park high school no?
There IS a Manassas Park high school. M Park has its own system.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:20 AM

722 posts, read 1,928,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
There's no Manassas park high school. I think you mean osbourn park, also I wouldn't really recommend Brentsville depending on where the OP is from.
The OP said "Manassas Park," I had never heard of it before (I guess since it doesn't exist!), which is why I said I was not familiar with it. So, no I didn't mean Osborn Park.

ETA: and now from other posts I see there is a Manassas Park High School. I'm still not familiar with it.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:44 AM

41 posts, read 46,397 times
Christine there were also some houses listed that went to Louise Benton (?) middle school with Forest Park as the high school. ( in the Montclar area).

Old 04-06-2015, 07:36 AM

274 posts, read 350,049 times
Here is a link to the Prince Wlliam County School find website. Find Your School - Index
You can put the address in of a property you are interested in and it will tell you the school that house is zoned for. I know in the Gainesville/Bristow/Manassas area for elementary schools next year the zoning will changing. A new elementary school will be opening, so a lot of neighborhoods are being shuffled around to balance out the numbers.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:15 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,361,131 times
I did not realize there was a manassas park high school, that's crazy. I've never heard of it once in my life. Since rural areas don't bother you OP then you should look into the Brentsville district. The homes cost less and it would be a fair commute

Old 04-06-2015, 06:34 PM

154 posts, read 375,062 times
For future reference:

Manassas Park High School is in the Manassas Park City Schools.
Osbourn Park High School is in the Prince William County Public Schools.
Osbourn High School is in the Manassas City Public Schools.

And yes, they are within 4 miles of each other.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM

25 posts, read 37,031 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far!

We aren't too caught up on the schooldigger type rankings. I think that its what the student makes of it!! We were however, looking for smaller schools in terms of enrollment which is why Patriot, Brentsville and Manassas Park have been on our radar! (1600 and below enrollment) If anyone has an opinion on these schools please share!!!

Ben 'n Jen the military base access is very true and something to consider!!!

I guess a factor is, all 4 of our children are very active in sports so making it to practices/games more frequently living closer to the office opposed to having a longer drive.

Our "trips" on the weekends will consist of Canaan Valley/Timberline in WV, Hampton Roads area of VA and Columbia, SC (Lake Wateree and Summerville areas) to visit our family! So that part of the equation doesn't really factor in as it only adds about 15 minutes to the drive either way!

I would go with Gainesville or Bristow, for convenience. The schools are great with good sports programs and are quite local. Patriot is a great school as is Brentsville. Manassas Park Schools are under city governance vs. county. Let me know if you need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia