Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,183 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a house in Virginia Manor (Aldie) or Wentworth Green (Gainesville). We just relocated from Florida and have really no idea about both areas. I am a stay at home mom (temporarily) with a 3 year old and expecting another one in August 2015. Husband works in Alexandria. Trying to find out which area is the best fit for our family. Here is what we are looking for.

1. good schools, children's parks, recreation centers with kids activities, enrichment classes or after school programs
2. suburban country feel
3. Friendly atmosphere
4. Safe neighborhood
5. 30 min or less travel for basic necessities

I understand that commute from Gainesville to Alexandria will be horrible but my husband said not to put that into our decision in picking an area. I mean I wish it is a bearable commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 04:00 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times
I think they are both pretty similar to each other. The commute is really awful though - surely you can find something closer. Maybe some part of Kingstowne or Lake Ridge? What is your budget?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM

313 posts, read 551,579 times
Based on this list, Gainesville is where you want to be...just about the only thing Aldie has more of is a suburban country feel. Both are good places overall places for families tho.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:44 PM

274 posts, read 348,439 times
Gainesville and Aldie are both great areas. The infrastructure is more in place within Gainesville compared to Aldie. They are building shops and widening roads in Loudoun county but it is not there yet. In Gainesville you have the shops and 66 already in place. Traffic is going to be bad either on 66 from Gainesville or 50 or toll road from Aldie. It is just picking which area you like better. I personally live in Gainesville and I really love the community.

Last edited by Ashley Tauzier; 04-06-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 07:48 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Tauzier View Post
Gainesville and Aldi are both great areas. The infrastructure is more in place within Gainesville compared to Aldi. They are building shops and widening roads in Loudoun county but it is not there yet. In Gainesville you have the shops and 66 already in place. Traffic is going to be bad either on 66 from Gainesville or 50 or toll road from Aldi. It is just picking which area you like better. I personally live in Gainesville and I really love the community.

First, it's Aldie (with an "e").

Second, what types of stores do they have in Gainesville that you don't think exist near Aldie?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM

274 posts, read 348,439 times
Wow I am sorry I made a typo. As for stores I was meaning larger stores like Target or Wal-mart. I know some are in the process of being built, but for now you have to travel into Chantilly or Sterling. I think both cities are great options.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Tauzier View Post
Wow I am sorry I made a typo. As for stores I was meaning larger stores like Target or Wal-mart. I know some are in the process of being built, but for now you have to travel into Chantilly or Sterling. I think both cities are great options.
Yes, Target is in Chantilly, but it isn't more than 10 minutes from Aldie. And while Walmart is currently being built, it is scheduled to open in Dulles Landing within two months.

Personally, I also don't have a preference of the two area, but the choice shouldn't really be made on availability of stores.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:15 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,360 times
I would definitely choose Gainesville. Highway access is lightning years ahead in Gainesville and Gainesville's amenities (and I don't know how you guys are even arguing about that) are definitely much better. Hope your husband knows that he's look at an easy 1.5-2 hour commute during rush hour if he's going to Old Town.

Although I'm not sure I would really call either of them "country." Gainesville is a sprawling nightmare.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
and Gainesville's amenities (and I don't know how you guys are even arguing about that) are definitely much better.
ok, I guess I am of the philosophy that I'll check the box for "amenities" if everything you will need is right there. I don't feel that the amenities are necessarily better if you have five of everything you need. But that's just me...

Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,504 times
Virginia Gateway has over 120 shops/restaurants and movie theater in one location. Nothing like that in Aldie/Chantilly.

One thing about Gainesville/Bristow/Haymarket is the "country" is about a five minute drive depending on exactly where you are just outside these areas.

I live in Bristow and my husband worked off Eisenhower many years ago. The commute is pretty brutal.

Where exactly in Alexandria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia