Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 PM

14 posts, read 10,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
My wife works for State as well. Most people working there live inside the Beltway, given that State (unlike some other agencies) doesn't really do flexible hours; it's pretty much 9-5:30 or thereabouts. So living in Prince William or Loudoun will mean a very long commute both ways.

I would suggest Arlington, Falls Church, or Alexandria (especially near the river). South Arlington and (in Alex) areas south of Old Town will be less expensive, because the schools are less desirable (which won't affect you if you plan on sending your kids to Catholic school).

You could also do Annandale, but she would have to take a bus to the Metro.

Also keep in mind that parking is very tight at Main State. Pretty hard to get for a non-SESer unless you're in a carpool. Even then, some of the parking is in the Red Cross building.

What about you? Will you have a commute that needs to be considered in the decision?
No commute issues for me, retired military and stay at home dad due to combat injuries. Like everyone else new to the area, looking for the best place for family, and not have the wife spent a crazy amount of time traveling back and forth to work. What are the best schools in the area? looking like the catholic schools might not be an option due to having a 5th grader and a kindergartener to pay for. Not sure if we will get tuition assistance, keeping all school options open.Thank you for the info!!!!! and your time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macl212 View Post
No commute issues for me, retired military and stay at home dad due to combat injuries. Like everyone else new to the area, looking for the best place for family, and not have the wife spent a crazy amount of time traveling back and forth to work. What are the best schools in the area? looking like the catholic schools might not be an option due to having a 5th grader and a kindergartener to pay for. Not sure if we will get tuition assistance, keeping all school options open.Thank you for the info!!!!! and your time!!
Happy to help! Thank you for fighting the bad guys over there.

I don't know much about Catholic schools, but my sense is they're all pretty decent around here. I know the question has come up on this forum a few times:

Catholic Elementary and High Schools for family of 7

Catholic schools in Fairfax

Best Catholic Schools and moving to NOVA

But on that commute: There are commuter buses that run from Haymarket and elsewhere out west. If she can be assured of not having to work late, then maybe that's an option. Sure, it'd be an hour-plus each way, but if you can just read or work during the ride, I guess it wouldn't be horrible.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 04-10-2015 at 08:14 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 08:45 PM

274 posts, read 348,471 times
For Catholic schools in the Gainesville/Haymarket/Manassas area they have Linton Hall School and All Saints. My daughter goes to Kindergarten at St. Paul's in Haymarket. They are an Episcopal church school and we love it.
Otherwise if you have to do public schools, i know there are a lot of great ones in Western Prince William county, as well as Fairfax and Loudoun County.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:13 AM

Thank you all very much for all the great info!!

Old 04-11-2015, 06:07 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Lake Ridge meets all those criteria including the rental cost. The crazy part is that the PRTC bus ENDS at the state department. How convenient that would be for $5.50 each way? There are other PRTC commuter buses that drive to the state department but the schools, rental market, quality of life, etc, suggest Lake Ridge.

For rentals (single family homes) in lake ridge that are usually on 1/3 to 1/4 acre lots, try militarybyOwner,,,,,website. There is a whole section dedicate for rentals (vs purchasing).

Old 04-11-2015, 06:32 AM

15 posts, read 17,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macl212 View Post
Hello,
My wife will start working for the State Department in the next few weeks at the Truman building downtown DC. The rest of our family will follow when the school year ends the last week of May. Looking to spend around 2000-2500 per month on rent for a single family home close to a public trans hub. (Bus/train) How far out is too far? Fredericksburg to far out? Wife stated she is planning on 1 1/2 travel time each way to work, any areas closer that are family friendly? Looked at MD side, schools are not looking up to par, plan on keep sending kids to catholic schools. Any and all info would be great.

Where are you moving from? I ask because I'd like to get a feel for what your standards are for housing. The school system is great here...can't get much better. I have my son involved in church activities to give him the Christian friends and environment he needs too.
I would look at Alexandria (may not get much for housing), Vienna, Fairfax and Reston. Would you consider a townhome? They can be large here and have small backyards.
... Good luck!

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-11-2015 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: real estate solicitation

Old 04-11-2015, 07:24 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Hold View Post
Where are you moving from? I ask because I'd like to get a feel for what your standards are for housing. The school system is great here...can't get much better. I have my son involved in church activities to give him the Christian friends and environment he needs too.
I would look at Alexandria (may not get much for housing), Vienna, Fairfax and Reston. Would you consider a townhome? They can be large here and have small backyards.
... Good luck!
The I95 corridor has the PRTC bus lines, VRE line, and the best/largest slug lot in NOVA at Horner. And 5 bedroom, three car garage brick houses rent for under $3k. How will living in Reston help with the goal of easy, sub-hour commute?

We're trying too to honestly provide a reasonably solution based on the parameters without a vested interest in the outcome. Endorsing other opinions helps new inbound residents discern the various replies. Unfortunately, don't see Reston meeting any of the OP's search criteria, even if he PM's me.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-11-2015 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: removed deleted portion of quote

Old 04-11-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Hold View Post
... Good luck!
Moving from Summerville SC, just out side of Charleston SC.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-11-2015 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: removed deleted portion of quote

Old 04-11-2015, 08:37 AM

526 posts, read 900,718 times
If you're considering public, schools, Fairfax County schools are outstanding. Sure, there are some that are better than others but on the whole the schools here are excellent. I'd like to reiterate that West Springfield/Burke has housing in your price range and schools that, even in Fairfax County, are among the best. It's a great place for families and the commute would be reasonable.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:48 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
How will living in Reston help with the goal of easy, sub-hour commute?

. . .

Unfortunately, don't see Reston meeting any of the OP's search criteria...
OP stated he was looking for a sub 1 1/2 hour commute. Commutes from anywhere in Reston to the State Department will be substantially under the 1 1/2 hour time frame and if they live very close to the METRO station right around 60 minutes.

IMO - Reston has much better commuting options and flexibility than other options discussed (Fredericksburg or PG County). The trains run much more frequently than the commuter buses or VRE.

Reston is also a wonderful place to raise a family.
Welcome to Reston Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia