Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You're clearly jealous and you clearly hate people who prosper and do well in life. Grow up...... Also BMWs aren't that expensive.... You can get a used one for 18k.
Not that expensive to buy, but expensive to maintain. The smart folks lease them and trade them in and let someone else deal with the upkeep. I decided against buying a VW Passat for that reason because I could not find a decent lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:22 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,334,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Not the least bit "jealous", Deluusions. I'm living my life comfortably (albeit not extravagantly) on my own without accepting any fiduciary assistance from my not-so-well-off parents. I'm incredulous that so many 20-something contemporaries would rather stick their hands out for "help" rather than cut themselves off so that their parents can instead better invest that money towards their own nearing retirements. How selfish are Millennials that they'd rather shortchange their parents' ability to fully enjoy their golden years instead of cutting back on excesses so they wouldn't need to help at all? There have been times I've run into fiscal issues. Guess what? I pick up extra shifts at work; skip meals; and otherwise tighten my belt to make things work ON MY OWN. There was once a point in time when kids couldn't wait to turn 18, move out, and forge an independent life for themselves. Now that's been delayed up until 30. Sorry that I'm having trouble accepting that my generation should be the first to be SO entitled that they feel their own need to "feel important" trumps their parents' desire to live a comfortable empty-nesting stage prior to retirement.

You can also get a new Honda Fit or many other non-luxury vehicles for $18,000. Why the obsession with BMWs specifically in NoVA? Are there that many insecure people out there who need to drive an expensive rapidly-depreciating asset in order to reinforce the "I made it in life" vision?

I lived in NoVA for almost two years. That qualifies me to participate in discussions here and to have opinions, even though they may be contrariwise to the "sunshine and puppies" group-think real estate value-boosting circle-jerking that often occurs on this sub-forum. The subject at-hand was about "trust fund kids". I'm the same age as many of these "trust fund kids"; knew of some in NoVA; and, therefore, felt welcome to join the discussion. You should feel free to hang around your own hometown sub-forum and offer advice---positive or negative. Don't behave as if I've never had positive contributions here or infused idealism into conversations.

Who says I haven't taken my life somewhere? NovA wasn't a "city" the last time I checked---it was an ever-expanding network of suburban census designated places, none of which worked cohesively for the greater good of the region's long-term urban planning and instead worked for their own selfish short-term interests.

I already possess a Bachelor's Degree and have plans to pursue my MBA, so spare me the condescension about being "educated". I'm working to open my own business venture so I can have more direct control over my schedule and income potential. I learned living in NoVA that "stuff" doesn't matter. I met so many people in NoVA who were just overwhelmed by the traffic; cost-of-living; crowds; etc. but who stayed because of the money they made that permitted them to buy material things to offset their own voids in life. If driving a BMW makes you feel as if the stress of living in NoVA is worth it, then more power to you I suppose. As for me I'll continue to see many people around me in Pittsburgh driving Maseratis and Ferraris without the same aura of pretense that so many with money exhibited in NoVA.
Why would you think that parents who give their adult kids money somehow short change themselves? That simply isn't true. I know no one who has given their children money that prevents them from retiring, or traveling, or buying new cars or anything else. There are a lot of people in NOVA who have enough money to help out their kids without changing their lifestyle one iota. It's either give to the kids now, or they will inherit in sometime in the future. Many parents of millennials in NOVA have plenty of money and happy to share it with their children. They are not struggling like your parents. It's their money, what do you care if they are happy to share THEIR money with THEIR children?

You seem to fixated on people with money. Get over it. The world will always have plenty of people, young and old, who have more money and fancier cars than you have. That's life. Unless you're Donald Trump you will always be surrounded by people richer than you, just like the rest of us. I don't give two hoots if someone drives a Ferrari or a Maserati. Why do you care so much? It's bizarre.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:23 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,334,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I think the millenials get a bad rap. The economy has sucked for awhile. Kids coming out of school with student loans are having trouble finding good paying jobs. Guess what, the same thing was going on when I graduated in 2001. Economy sucked, a lot of recent grads had to struggle at first to get their careers going. It's not really some new phenomenon.

And why do you assume people getting help are a burden on their parents? A lot of times parents are very financially stable in their later years and that's why they are so willing to help.
Exactly! Thank you!

Old 04-18-2015, 01:06 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,524 times
id say theres more elitist of clicks/circle of friends than trust fund kids. people around here dont care or want to get to know you, unless you work specific job or know someone they are interested in knowing or have in common. its more of a "what can YOU do for me?" and its in every aspect from the minimum waged employee to those on in DC.

lets make a thread about that (already was made).

Old 04-18-2015, 04:28 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,013 times
Keep in mind, too, many parents are unloading wealth on their kids now before the government takes it from their estate. I would rather help my children get decent educations without loans or buy a house. My parents, in-laws and my spouse and I have worked long and hard for our families not the government.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Welcome to the bubble of NoVA:

"BMWs aren't expensive."
"I don't mind giving my adult children an allowance so they can buy Netflix, $12 cocktails, and Starbucks."
How's that Hatorade tasting, today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia