Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:58 AM

20 posts, read 37,845 times

Advertisements

So it sounds like 4.4% being taken out of my paycheck if post-tax and essentially goes into a black hole? I don't reap the benefits until retirement. What happens to all that money contributed if I leave the federal service after a few years? I imagine the TSP portion can be kept or rolled over, but what about the FERS-FRAE portion? I'm getting confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,742,383 times
You're welcome.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,788,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzagenius View Post
So it sounds like 4.4% being taken out of my paycheck if post-tax and essentially goes into a black hole? I don't reap the benefits until retirement. What happens to all that money contributed if I leave the federal service after a few years? I imagine the TSP portion can be kept or rolled over, but what about the FERS-FRAE portion? I'm getting confused.
I wouldn't say the money goes into a black hole - I believe it is actually invested primarily in government securities specially issued for purposes of the FERS pension system. Unlike other pension systems, it is not allowed to be used for other government spending. But, no, you don't reap the benefits until retirement. If you leave federal service before becoming eligible for retirement, you can have your contributions returned to you. Of course, if you stayed at least 5 years, your pension would have vested and it would probably be better to just collect the pension once you retire since they're not going to be giving you the amounts the government paid for you.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,538,694 times
I recently had a TSP account returned to me in a lump sum check. They automatically withhold 20% of it for taxes.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,502,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Personally, I put more faith in the stock and bond markets than I do our Congressional leaders -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Amen to that.
I thought "Wall Street" was the bad guy? I need to keep up on my evil rankings.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:48 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,691,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I recently had a TSP account returned to me in a lump sum check. They automatically withhold 20% of it for taxes.
The poster was asking about the FERS annuity portion, though. The TSP is returnable. FERS annuity contributions are different. The 4.4% contribution is nothing to take likely, especially after already taking a cut in pay.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:21 PM

504 posts, read 1,214,507 times
OP,

Take the job. 2 years terms is still better than possibility of losing your current contracted job (and could be lower pay as you pointed out). You can start looking for another job once you reach your first year anniversary. Get your foot in the door - other opportunities will come.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM

20 posts, read 37,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The poster was asking about the FERS annuity portion, though. The TSP is returnable. FERS annuity contributions are different. The 4.4% contribution is nothing to take likely, especially after already taking a cut in pay.
Thanks, Christine. Yea, I'm not taking the 4.4% contribution lightly. 4.4% immediately taken out of my paycheck seems like a lot.

Now I'm getting word that the prospects of getting my contract renewed is looking good, but it would still be a 1 year contract then another re-compete.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:11 PM

658 posts, read 726,326 times
A GS position is considered an opportunity of a lifetime, your loss if you don't take it. Two years of GS position is good, and if they get you to another year, you're vested in your TSP as well as can transfer to other GS positions within the Fed. 10% is not significant of a difference in salary and you can climb up pretty quickly with two more steps in to years.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 PM

294 posts, read 372,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I wouldn't say the money goes into a black hole - I believe it is actually invested primarily in government securities specially issued for purposes of the FERS pension system. Unlike other pension systems, it is not allowed to be used for other government spending. But, no, you don't reap the benefits until retirement. If you leave federal service before becoming eligible for retirement, you can have your contributions returned to you. Of course, if you stayed at least 5 years, your pension would have vested and it would probably be better to just collect the pension once you retire since they're not going to be giving you the amounts the government paid for you.
Is it 3 years to vest for TSP, or is that 5 also?

Goodness, this stuff gets complicated fast. So if I quit my federal job tomorrow (I have less than 5 years in), all the withdrawals for my FERS would be returned?

Also, this pension seems rather awful. I pay in 3.1% of my income for 30+ years only to get back 1% or 1.1% back per year of service? It seems I'd have to live quite a long time in retirement to make that initial investment back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia