Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:23 AM

89 posts, read 143,523 times

Advertisements

Bunch of fat, pre-diabetics with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths, tying up the roads and violating noise ordinances.

I'll bet 95% are not veterans. They are the antithesis of military discipline.

Chest out, stomach in. Ok, never mind on the 2nd part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTurgidson View Post

I'll bet 95% are not veterans.
They have never pretender to be all veterans. They are a group of people who support accountability for POWs.

rolling-thunder

Don't like it? Stay in Colorado.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
The Rolling Thunder have been making the DC Memorial Day run for decades now. In all that time I haven't heard of any fights or drunken brawls. When I see them on the roads they seem to be courteous and cautious riders. Good people in my book and I'm always glad to see them. Also, I think the majority of them are Vietnam vets plus Iraq and Afghanistan. Maybe even still a few from the Korean war.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Rolling Thunder is group recreation masquerading as protest. For one, it's extremely unlikely there any MIAs who are still alive. That doesn't mean the government shouldn't do what it can to resolve the fate of those still missing (now likely deceased)--but that ostensible cause has taken a backseat to a generalized expression of militarism. Memorial Day is really supposed to be a day of mourning, not a day of revving your engine and yelling "AMERICA, F*** YEAH!" It's not the Fourth of July.

And why would a protest against government inaction in finding MIAs need to be done by riding motorcycles around the Capitol on a weekend? Do these people even know how government works? Congress isn't even in session this weekend, and even if it were, the members do not care one bit about any protest.

These bike riders would be FAR more likely to get something done by staying at home and sending all the money they would've spent on their DC trip to a PAC focused on the MIA issue. An even better use of the money would be to donate it to a charity focused on living veterans (or the children of those killed in combat).

Many of the riders are not very considerate; just yesterday morning I was driving down route 50 westbound, and three of them were in the left lane, going about 35--on a road with a 45-mph limit. I had to pass them on the right. When a 23-year-old wagon with a boat on the roof passes you, that should tell you you're going too slow.

Finally, I detest the whole Harley subculture--the "I'm such a rebel by wearing the same clothes as all these other flabby, middle-aged people" ethos.

If you want to help veterans, hire one. Or volunteer. Or donate money. But riding your motorcycle on a group ride is just that.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-24-2015 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-24-2015, 11:45 AM

34 posts, read 50,818 times
I'm glad a couple people here are finally calling these guys out on their weight. There's no excuse for riding around with a pot belly. I find it offensive and embarrassing in this day and age. I hired a personal trainer immediately when my metabolism slowed down.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Wow. What compassion and understanding some are showing here.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer-d View Post
I'm glad a couple people here are finally calling these guys out on their weight. There's no excuse for riding around with a pot belly. I find it offensive and embarrassing in this day and age. I hired a personal trainer immediately when my metabolism slowed down.
I'm glad you find perfection so easy.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:10 PM

526 posts, read 901,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer-d View Post
Wow. It must be tough being so easily offended and embarrassed.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:24 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm glad you find perfection so easy.
For the record: Like a lot of people, I could stand to drop a couple pounds myself. But I don't have my bare belly hanging out while parading around in public. That's what the OP is getting at--the whole black leather/exposed midriffs (or worse!)/bandanas-and-ponytails white-trashiness of many (by no means all) of the riders. It's like a giant herd of Hells Angel wannabes rolled into town.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-24-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 02:09 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,285 times
I had no idea there was any message imbedded in Rolling Thunder. Just thought it was basically a huge biker rally on Memorial Day weekend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: